The Woods ... mistakes I'v made

Mozark ... I'd like to see a mature acorn - including the cap and a full picture of the tree ... plus the trunk. Some research at Morton Arborertum in Lisle, IL (the arboretum I will include next in our search for hybrid/non-hybrid oak trees) suggest chinkapin oak trees may not hybridize more readily than some of the other white oak species; however, DCOs hybridize more readily. Of course, DCOs are already a hybrid oak. I would encourage you - and others - to review the research at Morton Arboretum even though it is a long slog with lots of technical terms that I - and others - may not be familiar with unless they are really into dendrology. Skim the heavy technical stuff and read what trees they studied and what conclusions they reached. The study .... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6010771/

Section 2.7 / Table 3 and Sections 4/5 ... discussion and concluding remarks may be of greatest interest.

Last edited:
I think Chinkapin in full sun and good soil will produce at that size at least I have few smaller ones out in the open that produce much sooner than one might expect.

DCO are pretty tough little trees worth a chance particularly if you have thin soil on limestone where literally nothing else will grow. They grow naturally on my home place and grow in the rockiest poorest areas you can Imagine. The Kansas Forest Service are $75 for 25 potted DCO seedlings.

Do they send them or do you have to pick them up?

They ship them

They may only ship to surrounding states however I’d check on that before ordering

They may only ship to surrounding states however I’d check on that before ordering

OK will do. Is it easy enough to Google, or do you have a link?

The Missouri Department of Conservation isn't selling Dwarf Chinquapin Oaks, but will be selling Concordia Oaks again this year. Concordia Oaks are a three-way hybrid of the Chinquapin Oak, Dwarf Chinquapin Oak and Swamp White Oak. They start selling them September 1 at 8:00 a.m. If you want any, you might want to be on your computer ready to order as soon as it opens. They sold out within five hours the last time they sold them in 2018. Concordia Oaks

This is the website for the Kansas Forest Service containerized trees they sell but I don't see DCO's on it.... bunch of other stuff I want to buy though! *wipes drool off chin*

It seems to have been removed from the listing

If someone knows otherwise,please advise

bill

Nuts your correct they must of ran out already from mail in orders or something idk. I wanted one order of them myself and I even live in Kansas.

Here's my Concordia oak story .... Back around 2000, some folks in Concordia realized the value of their 3-way hybrid and formed the "Friends of Concordia Oaks" group . One purpose of the group involved marketing the trees; they published a brochure extolling the benefits./value of Concordia Oaks. With all the recent interest, I checked my files and discovered I still had a copy of the brochure and the invoice for the 100 Concordia acorns I ordered back in 2002. The attached photos might be of interest (provoke a chuckle) to those seeking the Concordia trees. Unfortunately, the acorns they shipped to me in October 2003 resulted in not a single germinated acorn; I assumed they must have been exposed to too much heat without sufficient moisture. Oh well ......; Que sera sera!

Attachments

• concordia oaks.jpg
    concordia oaks.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 38
  • concoprdia oaks 3.jpg
    concoprdia oaks 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
  • concordia oaks 2.jpg
    concordia oaks 2.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
On post #239 above, I posted a photo of a very young bur oak that is literally loaded with acorns for the first year it produced fruit. After thinking about it for a while and checking what I think may be the source of the tree, I think/hope I have it figured out. I suspect my tree came from an acorn off a bur oak in a cemetery that produces copious numbers of acorns on a regular basis; however, it starts dropping about mid-September. I believe the (cemetery tree) parent bur oak for my tree is a hybrid that represents a cross between a bur oak and a white oak (Bebbs Oak). 27 steps from this hybrid tree (cemetery tree) is another bur oak that is less than 25 steps from a white oak tree. I suspect the mature white oak polinated the mature bur oak (both trees appear 60-75 years old) and a hybrid white-bur cross germinated some 12-16 years ago (before any graves were located in this area) and is the hybrid tree in photo #1. Photo @2 shows the hybrid bur oak with the mature bur oak on the left (the trunk is visible). The hybrid bur oak (photo #1) starts dropping acorns around mid-Sept. probably reflecting the characteristic of the white oak parent since most white oaks I see in my area start dropping about this time. The acorns and leaves of the hybrid clearly reflect cthe bur oak parent. Since my tree (post 239) is most likely an F1 offspring producing early dropping (white oak parent) bur oaks (bur oak parent) in good numbers. Contrary to what some might argue about the utility of oaks trees since some drop early, I'm thinking about conducting an experiment by planting a 5-6 grove of trees using acorns (f1 offspring) from the hybrid cemetery oak. If most or all of them match/approximate what my F1 offspring has displayed, it could represent a great deer magnet for the start of bow season. All photos were taken today.
1663122279670.jpeg1663122304550.jpeg1663122333507.jpeg1663122364911.jpeg

Last edited:
Oakseeds
Do the acorns readily fall free from the caps of the hybrid tree?

Oakseeds
Do the acorns readily fall free from the caps of the hybrid tree?
I have seen them on the ground with the cap still attached; however, I believe most drop from the cap.
Took this photo yesterday; as the other photos above reveal, the tree remains loaded with acorns.

1663244322587.jpeg1663362841776.png

Last edited:
Interesting maybe a hybrid worth having

All is not always lost ..... in post #225 above I displayed a photo of a small oak that got broken off because I failed to provide protection. I left the stump in order to see if it would stump sprout. It did as the attached photo reveals; so, if you have a similar situation, you might want to give the tree a chance to recover before you remove it. The new shoot is a nice straight 7-8 inch central leader.

1663450287654.png1663450352579.jpeg

Had a very unfortunate experience today; got kicked out of a cemetery. Last year I discovered what I thought was merely a swamp white oak tree; albeit, a very nice swo. It is located in a section of the cemetery that has not been opened up for burials at this time; I'd guess the age of the tree at 10-12 years or more. Thinking I would not bother anyone if I gathered a few acorns from this tree in the back portion of the grounds, I took my 5' step ladder and began cheerfully plucking some great looking acorns off the lower branches. Since it was dead quiet (pun intended) on the grounds at 9 am, I heard voices a couple of sections over where graves existed. Soon a car rolled up behind my truck and a woman got out and ask what I was doing (she apparently was the manager from the little office at the entrance to the grounds). Happily, I said I'm picking acorns; you can't do that she snarled and get off that ladder. I then ask if I could pick them up off the ground; her retort was ..."we don't let anyone do that .. you can't have any acorns." I apologized profusely and assured her I would not return; I intend to attempt to get permission from the appropriate authorities. Anyway, after returning to my shed and examining the 2-3 lbs of acorns I had gathered and placed in the truck before her arrival, I noticed some unusual aspects of some of the acorns. What first caught my attention was the acorn cap exhibited in attached photo 1. It seems to have a couple of "fringe" stickers on the cap; similar to what usually appears on the cap of a bur oak. Some acorns had the typical "gumdrop" shape characteristic of SWO's while others had a more elongated shape that is typically associated with white oak tree acorns. Needless to say, I very much want to gain access to acorns off this tree in the future. Although I have little reason to suspect this tree is a hybrid (think bur-SWO which is a schuette and I am unaware of any in my area) I want to investigate the possibility further. This tree was most likely purchased from a nursery or garden center that has little knowledge of the linage of the tree.

P.S. You'll note I pick lots of acorns while still green; if the squirrels are eating them or some have started turning brown, I believe you are good to go. One other note .... the bigger acorns tend to be some of the last to turn brown .. the smaller acorns seem to be the first to fall - moral of the story ... be patient and keep checking the tree if you can.
1664589436297.png 1664589477710.png
1664589515967.png 1664589545388.png

Last edited:
“ if you get kicked out of a cemetery for picking
acorns from trees……..you might be a habitat
guy”

bill
touche .... how true, how true ... well played Bill

got kicked out of a cemetery.
Ouch! She sounds like a... (I will keep my opinion to myself here)

So you bringing this up made me ask Google what is the legal standing on this. I read a few key legal rulings and although each State is different on how it defines rights in public spaces, if you can pick acorns or berries in a public park in your State... you can also pick acorns in a public cemetery. They are both public spaces and are treated equally in the eyes of the law. Most of the rulings clarify that you can't dig up flowers or alter the landscape, but you can pick berries (ones NOT planted on graves). That was the closest I got to picking acorns in a Cemetery :)

I would suggest you ask your local County Sheriff or State Police officer how it plays out in your State and tell the lady to pound salt. In a similar situation, I once had a Professor tell me that I can't take acorns laying on the ground here at workr on my SUNY campus and if he caught me again he would call our University Police Department (accredited and the same powers as a State Trooper). He was upset that I was taking the squirrels food. I checked with UPD and they laughed but wanted to check with the Chief before giving me permission, the Chief told me that nobody on campus can stop anyone from picking berries or acorns even if they don't work or go to school here and if they bothered me again to send them to him directly.