The Woods ... mistakes I'v made

2nd update ... 5 gal of h2o and 7 days later - Voila .... about 7 inches of new growth and now about 20 inches high. Making oaks grow robustly is not hard; plant them correctly, give them them sunlight, water, mulch, a little fertilizer, protection, and eliminate competition, and your tree will thrive. Hoping for 30-inch tree by Oct. 15.

1658497677143.png1658497716912.png1658497746085.png

Last edited:
Another 7 days and it has picked up about 3.5 inches with the new flush of leaves "leafing out" nicely. Can't imagine this tree making 7 more inches - for a total of 30 in about 5-1/2 months - unless it shoots another "central-leader" burst. Hard to get an accurate height measurement with the breeze moving the tree creating a distorted angle for the photo of the tree. Love that hybrid vigor associated with hybrid oak trees.
1659143280482.png1659143298361.png

Last edited:
Looks great 👍

Over the past few years, several posters have commented on hybrid oak trees as an important component of their habitat efforts. My preference would be for hybrids involving bur oaks, swamp white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, white oaks, or english oaks since I believe these hybrids are capable of producing large quantities of mast. The bebbs oak, beadles oak, bimundors oak, burenglish, burgamble oak, sargent oak, schuettes oak, regal prince oak, kindred spirit, and crimson spire oak - just to name a few - are 10 hybrids involving one or more parents from the list of 5 white oak species listed in sentence 2 above. Several commercial sources exist for some of thes hybrids; however, there are potential problems associated with acquisition of hybrid oak trees/hybrid oak tree acorns from commercial sources. Even though a hybrid might be listed/described on a nursery site, attempts to purchase may be thwarted by the OOS (out of stock) or SO (sold out) situation. Second, they can be somewhat expensive for the"person" who wishes to plant large numbers of each hybrid. If one is willing to start their hybrid trees from acorns, it remains a challenge to locate parent trees of desirable species. In an attempt to help folks in this regard, I'll share how acorns from desirable hybrid-oak species might be acquired at a low cost. to be continued .....

Update 8-7-2022

Photo #1 ... What you can expect ... if you don't protect ... a busted wreck ... ouch! ... that hurts
Photo #2 ... the sibling shoots a new flush of leaves

Photo #3 ............. we may yet have a shot at a 30-inch tree before Oct. 1!
1659919502551.jpeg1659919248115.jpeg1659918919751.png

Continuing post 224 above ... You can find single specimens or small groups of almost any hybrid white oak you want; however, it/they may be located outside your travel preferences. Since Bebbs, Schuette and DCOs have been mentioned recently, I'll use these 3 species as examples. Then we'll turn our attention to Arboretums (there are some in every state); they can be absolutely wonderful since many of them are quite old, several are/were started and maintained on college campuses, their location is frequently marked on a map of the grounds, there is no guessing about the accuracy of their identity, and you can discretely gather acorns to your heart's desire. In addition to red oak and white oak trees, many of the Arboretums have chestnut trees (Japanese or Chinese) and/or persimmon trees Since this topic could get rather long, I'll divide it into several posts. First up ....... Bebbs oaks - a bur oak / white oak hybrid.

Bebbs Oak
Hybrid White Oak Cross … between (
(Quercus × bebbiana)​
Known Locations for specimens
Iowa (Dallas Center) … Brenton Arboretum / Kansas, Kansas City …. The Powell Garden / Lisle, IL … Morton Arboretum (2+mature trees?) / Michigan, Rochester Hills … Bebb Oak Tree (world’s largest) at Livernois and Auburn roads. / Northbrook Il … The Bebb Oak is the official Village Tree of Northbrook, IL a hybrid between a burr oak (quercus macrocarpa) and a white Oak (quercus alba) /
Ohio / 7770 Jacksontown Rd Newark, OH 43056 … Dawes Arboretum / Ottawa, Canada … Dominion Arboretum … largest tree in arboretum /
Ithaca, NY – Cornall Botanic Gardens at Cornell University

Next post will consider Schuette oak ....

Last edited:
Schuette oak locations .... are any of these close to you?

Schuette Oak

Hybrid White Oak cross … between bur oak and swamp white oak
Known Locations for specimens
Grand Champion Schuette Oak Tree in Michigan. The Historic District Commission maintains the health of the 500 plus year old
Oak Tree at the corner of Letts and Rush Road in Oakland Township, Rochester Michigan 48306.
Ohio … Glacier Ridge Metro Park's 'three sisters' oaks like skeletons 9801 Hyland-Croy Rd, Plain City, OH 43064
3 mature schuette oak trees The trees probably predate Ohio becoming a state in 1803.
Iowa, Dallas Center …. Benton Arboretum … 25141 260th Street,

Cornell Botanic Gardens …. 4 Locations of Scheutte Oak trees (Jackson Grove, Houston and Grossman Ponds,

Schnee Oak Collection

Missouri Botanical Garden - Schuette Oak

Kansas City - Linda Hall Library

Last edited:
Little something on Kansas City before I post the DCO info ....

Kansas City oak trees

This list of the champion trees of Greater Kansas City dates back to 1955 when the late Stanley R. McClane, landscaping superintendent for the J.C. Nichols Company made the first survey. The list designated the largest known example of well over 100 species and varieties of trees in Jackson, Clay, Wyandotte and Johnson Counties. Chuck Brasher, arborist for Country Club Tree Service, renewed McClane’s list in 1974 and maintained and enhanced it until his death in 2012.

In 2013 Powell Gardens made the offer to continue the list and make it a resource for the Greater Kansas City community. Area tree professionals provided input in how to make the list more meaningful to citizens and professionals alike. The current list includes the champion tree for each species and variety and runner up trees so that mature examples in various parts of the metro can be easily visited.

White Oak X Chinkapin hybrid oak / not named location: Mt Washington Cemetery
Post Oak X Chinkapin hybrid oak / not named " Swope Park
Sawtooth Oak " 88th & Ward Pkwy
Sawtooth Oak 321 Lindenwood
White Oak X Chestnut Oak Hybrid / Sauls Loose Park
Swamp WO X Overcup Hybrid / Humidicola Linda Hall Library
Bur Oak X Swamp WO Hybrid / Schuette Linda Hall Library
Chestnut Oak Montana / Q. prinus 7318 Conser? St.
Chestnut Oak Montana / Q. prinus Loose Park

Swamp chestnut Oak Q Michauxii Loose Park

Kansas City - In the mid 1960’s Kendall Laughlin, author of Q. ×discreta (1961), made a detailed inventory of Swope Park, Kansas City’s largest park, and found a number of hybrid oaks, state champion trees, and even a couple of national champions for the time. Fifty years later, many of these trees have been forgotten or removed, and Alan is on a quest to find as many of these trees as possible.
A grafted tree found at the Linda Hall Library arboretum labeled Q. ×stelloides, is likely a graft from this original tree.
We measured new champions of the greater Kansas City area of Q. shumardii, Q. coccinea as well as a very nice Q. alba × muehlenbergii that Alan found this past spring. The last trip of the day took us to a conservation area in Blue Springs, Mo. Burr Oak Woods conservation area holds a few Q. prinoides (DCOs) and I was hoping to find acorns. No luck on acorns, but we did measure a large specimen that I will be nominating for state champion status.

"White Oak X Chestnut Oak Hybrid / Sauls Loose Park"

Is there anyone from Kansas city that could grab some acorns from this one?
I'd come out of retirement for those.

Teerder ..... you are getting ahead of me; that is the purpose of my efforts - SHARE OR TRADE! Help each other

I’ll see what I can do I’d like some myself and acorn collection season is getting close.

DCO's - the third hybrid to consider. While I do not have much interest in DCO's (canopy with small acorns = low mast production /1.5 lbs will ship in smallest USPS carton), lots of folks want to incorporate them into their habitat efforts for diversity (great idea - esp. for turkeys and other small game) .... so, where might we find them?

1660959092517.png

Latin Name: Quercus prinoides
Common Name: Dwarf Chinquapin Oak (syn. Dwarf Chinkapin Oak)

Richardson County Dwarf Chinkapin Oak trees
\ ..........;National champion DCO is near Salem Nebraska in Richardson County Location …… 2 miles south and 1 mile west of Salem

LINCOLN, Neb. — (the Mother Lode) " Tucked away near the Kansas-Nebraska border, in Richardson County, stands a rare native population of oaks that for more than a decade has played an integral part in Nebraska's landscape conservation. A recent Nebraska Forest Service project helped safeguard this unique stand of dwarf chinkapin oaks that grows in shallow soil over limestone. Preserving this native habitat is essential; the tree is listed as threatened in eight states. 2013 Since then, the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum, part of NFS, has been able to supply acorns and seedlings for distribution to
local wholesale growers and regional and national growers interested in preserving the rare oak." Someone in KS, MO or NE needs to find this area!

Here is a list of some great trees (including DCO's located in the Maxwell Arboretum at the Univ of Nebraska at Lincoln.

Blue Springs, Mo. Burr Oak Woods conservation area supposedly holds a few Q. prinoides (DCOs). Other arboretums with DCO's include Powell Gardens in Kansas City,
Dawes Arboretum 7770 Jacksontown Rd Newark, OH 43056 30 miles east of Columbus, and the Morton Arboretum in Lisle IL. Go find them if they are close to you.

The Kansas Forest Service will sell you a containerized DCO on 9-1 for only ...... Dwarf Chinkapin Oak (Containerized) $75.00

Last edited:
DCO are pretty tough little trees worth a chance particularly if you have thin soil on limestone where literally nothing else will grow. They grow naturally on my home place and grow in the rockiest poorest areas you can Imagine. The Kansas Forest Service are $75 for 25 potted DCO seedlings.

DCO are pretty tough little trees worth a chance particularly if you have thin soil on limestone where literally nothing else will grow. They grow naturally on my home place and grow in the rockiest poorest areas you can Imagine. The Kansas Forest Service are $75 for 25 potted DCO seedlings.

That describes my place exactly. We are on the Niagara escarpment. But it's right on the edge of zone 4 and 5. You think they would function well there?

b116757 ... my bad, thanks for correcting my error ... at $3 per seedling, that is a good price price compared to many nursery prices. Again, thanks 👍

One more arboretum to consider before we leave the NE / KS area and move east to consider some additional sources. The Powell A4rboretum in Kansas City is blessed with 59 oak trees; 15 or 25% of them are hybrid oaks.
The3 hybrid oaks include: 2 per line; can't get them to stay apart ....
Quercus × bebbiana 'Taco' • Fagaceae • Taco Bibb's Oak‎ (probably Bebbs) Quercus × bebbiana 'Taco' F2 seedling • Fagaceae • Bibb's Oak‎
Quercus × comptoniae F2 seedling • Fagaceae • Hybrid Live-Overcup Oak‎ Quercus × heterophylla • Fagaceae • Bartram Oak‎
Quercus × introgressa • Fagaceae • Concordia Hybrid Oak‎ Quercus × mazei 'Westward Ho!' • Fagaceae • Westward Ho! Colorado Foothills Hybrid Oak‎
Quercus × megaleia • Fagaceae Quercus × pauciloba • Fagaceae • Wavyleaf Oak‎
Quercus × runcinata (Q. imbricaria × Q. rubra) • Fagaceae • Hybrid Oak‎ Quercus × saulii 'Montalba' • Fagaceae • Montalba Saul's Oak/ Beadle's Oak‎
Quercus × schuettei 'Kimberley' • Fagaceae • Kimberley Schuette Hybrid Oak‎ Quercus × substellata (Q. bicolor × Q. stellata) • Fagaceae • Hybrid Oak‎
Quercus × tottenii F2 seedling • Fagaceae • Totten's Oak‎ Quercus × undulata 'Mesa do Mayo Wavyleaf Oak • Fagaceae • Mesa do Mayo Wavyleaf Oak‎
Quercus × warei "Riverbank" • Fagaceae • Hybrid Oak‎

Other notable, non-hybrid oak trees:
Quercus acutissima • Fagaceae • Sawtooth Oak‎ Quercus alba • Fagaceae • White Oak‎ Quercus alba "Dam Road" • Fagaceae • White Oak‎
Quercus alba 'Gratton Grave' • Fagaceae • Gratton Grave White Oak‎ Quercus arkansana • Fagaceae • Arkansas Oak‎ Quercus bicolor • Fagaceae • Swamp White Oak‎
Quercus castaneifolia × lubani • Fagaceae • Middle Eastern Turkey Oak‎\ Quercus coccinea • Fagaceae • Scarlet Oak‎ Quercus coccinea 'Crimson Cloud' • Fagaceae • Crimson Cloud Scarlet Quercus ellipsoidalis • Fagaceae • Northern Pin Oak‎ Quercus falcata • Fagaceae • Southern Red Oak‎ Quercus fuciformis • Fagaceae • Escarpment / Texas Live Oak‎
Quercus imbricaria • Fagaceae • Shingle Oak‎ Quercus incana • Fagaceae • Bluejack Oak‎ Quercus lyrata • Fagaceae • Overcup Oak‎ Quercus macrocarpa • Fagaceae • Bur Oak‎
Quercus macrocarpa (extra fuzz) • Fagaceae • Bur Oak‎ Quercus michauxii • Fagaceae • Swamp Chestnut Oak Quercus minima • Fagaceae • Dwarf Live Oak‎
Quercus montana • Fagaceae • Chestnut Oak‎ Quercus muehlenbergii • Fagaceae • Chinkapin Oak‎ Quercus nigra • Fagaceae • Water Oak‎
Quercus pagoda • Fagaceae • Cherrybark Oak, Swamp Spanish Oak‎ Quercus palustris • Fagaceae • Pin Oak‎
Quercus prinoides • Fagaceae • Dwarf Chinkpin Oak‎
Quercus robur • Fagaceae • English Oak‎ Quercus robur 'Fastigiata' • Fagaceae • Columnar English Oak‎
Quercus rubra • Fagaceae • Northern Red Oak‎Quercus rubra "Forest Hills" • Fagaceae • Northern Red Oak‎
Quercus shumardii • Fagaceae • Shumard Oak, Shumard's Red Oak (Hortus)‎ Quercus stellata • Fagaceae • Post Oak‎
Quercus texana • Fagaceae • Nuttall Oak, Fagaceae • Oriental Oak, Chinese Cork Oak‎ Quercus velutina • Fagaceae • Black Oak‎

"Bebbs" Is one I'd like to try.
I've planted a few "Beadles", but so far dismal results.

Last edited:
Slight detour; then, we'll head east with more arboretums ..... today, I checked chestnut trees at a property where I planted some bur and swamp white oaks near the entrance about 7-8 years ago.
WOW, did I get a surprise .... a relatively small oak tree (appears to be a bur) with a bunch of acorns. Many in cluster of 6-7; don't know how this happened but I have never seen a 7-8 yr old bur oak spit out acorns like this at such a tender age. The limbs appear to be dropping from the weight of fairly big acorns (we are still early in the acorn development period for this zone). going to check with folks at The Univ of IL tomorrow.
1661124110794.jpeg1661124095378.jpeg1661124075313.jpeg1661124041293.jpeg1661124012697.jpeg1661123991733.jpeg

Attachments

• 1661124126692.jpeg
    1661124126692.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 7
I have a small chinkapin oak that is an oddball, I don't know if its a white/chinkapin hybrid or just odd. Its maybe twelve feet tall and producing acorns. Any thoughts?20220821_180043.jpg