Strange / different animal encounters

J-bird and Tap, posts #18 & 19 above - You guys mentioned owls. About 25 years ago I was in a built-in, wooden tree stand in archery season. It was dead quiet, just before last legal shooting light that evening. I was watching several deer above me on a bench when I heard a very slight noise behind me - like a vibration. I turned around to see 2 huge, black eyes staring at me from arm's length away. A barred owl had landed at face level on a limb attached to one of the 3 trees that supported my stand. It was the limb that vibrated when it landed. It took about 3 seconds for it to realize I wasn't a furry critter to have for supper and it looked as if it swelled up - I guess it stood it's feathers up on end - and then took off with NO SOUND at all. That owl scared the sh out of me when I turned to see it !! I'm sure I jerked when I saw those big eyes so close. Might have had a little brown INSIDE my camo as well as on the outside.

I'd forgotten about that incident until you guys mentioned owls above in your posts.