The Woods ... mistakes I'v made

Troubles Trees .... you are absolutely correct about public spaces; however, upon checking I learned that the cemetery in question is privately owned. I was very surprised; I assumed cemeteries were usually/almost always publicly owned. This one creates a lot of controversy about maintenance and other issues. It is owned by an absentee owner in PA; he owns several cemeteries in central IL.
However, there are no employees working on Sundays; wow, did you see those acorns jump into my pocket!

I enjoyed your story about the protective professor; some of them get just a bit too possessive about their campus. I had a similar experience at the 911 Memorial Plaza/courtyard where 400 SWO trees are planted. Some fellow from the National Park Service told me I could not gather acorns ... even after I explained I would remain on the path and not disturb any vegetation. I appealed his decision to a park police officer who said the acorns were a hazard; people kept turning their ankles. As the attached photo reveals, not all people who like to exert their perceived authority rule the day. Note the plastic bag in the sweatshirt pocket.

Bill ... as you can see, it's like a sickness for me!

1664900635843.jpeg

I once had a Professor tell me that I can't take acorns laying on the ground here at workr on my SUNY campus and if he caught me again he would call our University Police Department (accredited and the same powers as a State Trooper). He was upset that I was taking the squirrels food.

This is sad and hilarious at the same time.

I saw the same professor stop in the middle of a sidewalk, bend over and pick up a tent caterpillar and walk over to put it on a tree so it didn't get stepped on, so there's that lol

Troubles Trees .... you are absolutely correct about public spaces; however, upon checking I learned that the cemetery in question is privately owned. I was very surprised; I assumed cemeteries were usually/almost always publicly owned. This one creates a lot of controversy about maintenance and other issues. It is owned by an absentee owner in PA; he owns several cemeteries in central IL.
However, there are no employees working on Sundays; wow, did you see those acorns jump into my pocket!

I enjoyed your story about the protective professor; some of them get just a bit too possessive about their campus. I had a similar experience at the 911 Memorial Plaza/courtyard where 400 SWO trees are planted. Some fellow from the National Park Service told me I could not gather acorns ... even after I explained I would remain on the path and not disturb any vegetation. I appealed his decision to a park police officer who said the acorns were a hazard; people kept turning their ankles. As the attached photo reveals, not all people who like to exert their perceived authority rule the day. Note the plastic bag in the sweatshirt pocket.

Bill ... as you can see, it's like a sickness for me!

View attachment 46462
Hardly,
i load them up in groups of 18 to fill my rootmaker express trays

I started 5 trays of DCO acorns from my own progeny and 3 trays of live oaks yesterday

Both should germinate

Will bring live oak indoors in winter

Undecided how to vernalize DCOs

bill

This morning I decided to read a few topics I don’t normally have time to read, and since I know very little about oaks, I thought I would read up on them. What I learned this morning is there are a bunch of nuts (pun intended) in here. You guys are true habitat nuts. It is amusing reading the stories about collecting acorns .

Now I have to get back to normal life, I have to get out and cut some trees, because I don’t have any more room to plant trees in the spring. I found 3 more apple tree varieties I need to plant next spring, so I need a place to put them.

I have read some of the posts to my wife about the habitat addictions. Just to show to her, I am not the only one, and there are others more addicted then I am. Complete respect from me!

4WE's ... glad you enjoy posts about our passion; and feel kinship with us. Also great that you seek knowledge about oaks; our knowledge and understanding frequently advances in small increments and results from sharing with one another. Let me provide an example. In another post, I suggested that with regard to oak acorns, size matters! How so, you say?
Arbsystem folks say ....
“Seed size varies greatly in acorns; the larger seeds have the advantage of being a greater food source for the sapling in its early stages, however the larger the seed the more energy it takes to make the seed and the harder it is to disperse further from the parent.”
“The larger the seed the further down the first root is able to go to secure a reliable source of water, nutrients and footing in the ground. Also the more energy that the sapling has to utilise above ground, the higher the stem would be able to grow. This would give the young tree an advantage over surrounding vegetation growing. The higher the young plant, the more light the plant would be able to get.”
https://www.arbsystem.co.uk/blog/from-acorn-to-sapling
Experience also tells us the largest acorns on an oak tree can usually be found on the southern side of the tree (probably more sunlight); therefor, we have 2 little tidbits of info that might make a difference in the overall growth and development of acorns we plant as future habit trees.
Good luck clearing spots for the new apple trees next spring.

What a fantastic thread. I learned a lot from it.

I had been searching for a local columnar variety for a while, and I finally found some last night. There were probably 10 trees around a campus parking lot. All of them had a decent crop of acorns scattered around them.

After spotting them, I reached out to a friend and he told me he thinks this variety is Regal Prince which I agree with.
I brought home a bag full of acorns.

Thought I’d share the experience with you all.

I’ve been bitten with the bug and have been collecting interesting acorns all fall. These are my favorite though.

I’d love to find some Kindred Spirit and have been looking, but I’ve come up short.
I did find some straight English in a park, but their crop was dismal.

Attachments

• 183CAA56-7747-4C17-8527-77AB48293AF6.jpeg
    183CAA56-7747-4C17-8527-77AB48293AF6.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 32
  • AC4A13A3-0852-4402-A772-9FEAC13DA5B5.jpeg
    AC4A13A3-0852-4402-A772-9FEAC13DA5B5.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 27FA47D2-4BC4-47F8-B591-D28CDADAE22E.jpeg
    27FA47D2-4BC4-47F8-B591-D28CDADAE22E.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 15594987-1722-4D32-B0D4-5F3C7D488C3C.jpeg
    15594987-1722-4D32-B0D4-5F3C7D488C3C.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 3909FF7D-07EE-4266-8EB3-B4C0D3109246.jpeg
    3909FF7D-07EE-4266-8EB3-B4C0D3109246.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 29
In late August I posted (post 239) pictures of a 7-8 year old white oak ?? tree that was displaying large clusters of acorns for a very young tree. In mid-Sept. (post 252) I followed up with a discussion of what I think/hope the tree might be .... an F1 offspring of a Bebbs Oak (WO x bur oak) hybrid. Today when I visited the property where my F1 is planted, I got another surprise .... all of the acorns were fully mature; however, maybe 40-50% of the acorns remained on the tree. The attached photos illustrate acorns on the tree and some that I picked off the lower limbs of the tree. Oct. 16 is very late in the fall for any white oak or bur oak trees in my area to still have acorns on the tree. Most of the acorns I picked did not accept acorn-cap removal easily; perhaps, that is why the remained on the tree. Maybe sticking in the cap is somehow related to early/first-year fruiting. It will take additional fruiting cycles to determine if the tree is a late dropper, but I've got my fingers crossed. Lastly, the acorns caps had some fringe on the edges (think bur oak), but their elongated shape (more than a typical bur) may be the result of white oak parenting; gotta hope so.
1665971933428.jpeg1665971957957.jpeg1665971983754.jpeg1665972064203.jpeg1665972081909.jpeg

I enjoyed a second surprise yesterday at the property where the Bebb(?) oak is located. A 7-8 yr old chestnut tree that had burs - unpolinated with no nuts - last year had some burs remaining on the tree even though it appeared deer had gotten most of the chestnuts (empty burs on ground outside 5-6-foot dia cage). I picked all I could reach and delighted in the obvious interest the deer had expressed in the tree (had a big trail beat down all around the tree; they probably stood on their hind legs to get some of the burs). The nuts I gathered were large in size; this tree and others were from LARGE chestnuts purchased from Chestnut Ridge of Pike County. They sell a habitat mix; however, I believe it is worth a couple of extra bucks to purchase the large chestnuts (see post above on chestnut size). Attached are photos revealing what I observed/recovered. Since quite a few burs had yet to open or were just open a little, I envision - as the tree gets larger - nuts falling until close to Nov. 1, or later (peak movement time for bucks in my area). If your area will grow them, I believe chestnuts are a very valuable resource in any habitat plan for wildlife.
1666108227862.png1666108294076.png1666108334563.jpeg1666108361701.jpeg1666108405364.jpeg1666108438598.jpeg1666108467979.jpeg1666108514496.jpeg

Last edited:
Over 8 years ago (August 2014) I posted my intent to experiment with planting chestnuts in locations with varying amounts of daily sunshine. Guess what? From my experiment with 10 trees in each of 3 categories of sunlight-amount, the full sun condition wins hands down. Under no circumstance would I plant a chestnut tree in a location receiving less than 7-9 hours of direct sunlight. For me, it's a question of the lower the amount of sunlight, the lower the level of mast production. I have trees in the lowest sunlight condition that have yet to shoot a bur - empty or otherwise.

In 2014 I posted ..... "The shade/growth rate/die back information is very useful to those of us who are just beginning to experiment with chestnuts - thanks! I direct seeded all of my chestnuts; some in final locations and 15-20 in half gallon mike cartons for transplanting this fall. I used cages rather than tubes; I believe they don't jump for the sky but grow with bigger caliper in relation to height. This thread prevented me from planting all of them in high sun areas; I assumed they did better in full sun. Now, I will plant some in direct sun, partial sun and low sun conditions. Over time we'll find out the role of sunshine on both growth, winter dieback and mast production. I'd hate to put them all in low sun conditions only to end up with hearty trees thar produce little mast."

Several posters on various recent threads have ask about or indicated issues with providing adequate hydration for trees and shrubs. It is always wise to ensure your trees/shrubs (especially conifers) have adequate moisture entering winter. The Univ of MN has posted guidelines and information about water needs/usage for trees and shrubs that may be helpful for folks who visit this site.
https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/watering-newly-planted-trees-and-shrubs

I attempt to solve any water problems through avoidance measures; primarily through the use of mulch, water pipes, and black landscape pots with the bottom removed (placed over the tree when planted and directs water straight down into the root zone).

Took photos today of col. oak trees that are super growers specimens, absolutely beautiful with respect to foliage, and super tight with respect to branch structure. Besides, they pump out copious numbers of large acorns on a regular basis. I believe these trees are Regal Prince (swo X cEo) that will mature 18-20+ feet wide at DBH. With the super dense branch structure, one could plant them 20' apart for a screen (wouldn't put it next to a road). From what I have discovered, these trees are in the neighborhood of 8-10 years of age (assuming 2-4 at nursery and 6+ since planting.). This will be their 4th year with mast. Their slender cousins - the Kindred Spirit - is the same cross with a tighter/slender branching structure of somewhere in the 10 15 foot range. I differentiate them as a popsicle (Kindred Spirit) vs a pear (Regal Prince) in shape. Won't post the photos ... I'll keep trying ... I give up!

Last edited:
Where did you buy the trees from? I’d love to try some regal prince.

I didn't buy them; they were planted as a buffer between two commercial business location. My community is designated as a "tree city" .... nothing gets developed without a commitment to land scape with some trees. WG ... acorns should be available by the 3rd week of Sept; you pay the postage and I'll send you some ...;.. remind me around the 1st of sept. Notice the new growth at the top of each ... so heavy they are bent over ... excellent trees :emoji_sunglasses:
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
:emoji_nerd::emoji_head_bandage:🙂

Last edited:
I didn't buy them; they were planted as a buffer between two commercial business location. My community is designated as a "tree city" .... nothing gets developed without a commitment to land scape with some trees. WG ... acorns should be available by the 3rd week of Sept; you pay the postage and I'll send you some ...;.. remind me around the 1st of sept. Notice the new growth at the top of each ... so heavy they are bent over ... excellent trees :emoji_sunglasses:
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
:emoji_nerd::emoji_head_bandage:🙂

With that growth form, i don't have much of a tube vs cage debate for those bad boys. Cage all the way and keep the cover down low.

Your name is on my calendar on the 1st of Sept. Thanks for all of your contributions here.

Just picked up some oak seedlings. Is it OK to plant them when there is some rain in the forecast? Hot here (ohio) now.

Just picked up some oak seedlings. Is it OK to plant them when there is some rain in the forecast? Hot here (ohio) now.
4 things ... how long are the roots, how deep can you dig before hitting clay, can you easily get water to the planting area, AND are you willing to water them at least once in each 10-day period if rainfall is slight?
If they have 18-20 inch roots and you can/are willing to dig deeeeeep planting holes and you water them in solidly at planting and you can get water to them throughout the hot-dry spells we may experience this summer ... most would probably make it.
Otherwise you might wrap the roots in heavy wet fiber (the kind of container nursery folks often use to ship seedlings) and talk/pay a florist to store them in the back of a cooler for the next 90 days.
Current weather in most of the midwest is not very favorable for planting seedlings UNLESS you can keep them moist.
I believe spring planting (direct seeding or transplants) of trees is usually most successful if one puts them in the ground as soon and the frost is out of the ground. Good luck; if you don' mind all the prep work, you just might get lucky. We'll be rooting (pun intended) for your success. 🙂

Boardmaker's post 269 above includes leaves from the columnar oak trees he discovered. The leaves in the photo on the left clearly reveal a fungal disease (1 among several) that can be found on oak trees. In this case it appears to be powdery mildew and, from my experience, is associated with the English oak parent in this hybrid. English oaks and Crimson Spire columnar oaks (cross between wo X cEo) frequently are effected by PM. While it often impacts the appearance/beauty of the tree, it does little or no damage to the overall health of the tree. Other benign fungal dieases include sooty mold (delivered by a bug) and tar spots among others. Two more dangerous fungal diseases that may attack oak trees include anthracnose and oak wilt (again, delivered by a bug) ... there is no treatment for these two.