The Woods ... mistakes I'v made

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
2nd update ... 5 gal of h2o and 7 days later - Voila .... about 7 inches of new growth and now about 20 inches high. Making oaks grow robustly is not hard; plant them correctly, give them them sunlight, water, mulch, a little fertilizer, protection, and eliminate competition, and your tree will thrive. Hoping for 30-inch tree by Oct. 15.

1658497677143.png1658497716912.png1658497746085.png

Last edited:

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
Another 7 days and it has picked up about 3.5 inches with the new flush of leaves "leafing out" nicely. Can't imagine this tree making 7 more inches - for a total of 30 in about 5-1/2 months - unless it shoots another "central-leader" burst. Hard to get an accurate height measurement with the breeze moving the tree creating a distorted angle for the photo of the tree. Love that hybrid vigor associated with hybrid oak trees.
1659143280482.png1659143298361.png

Last edited:

Teeder

5 year old buck +
Looks great 👍

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
Over the past few years, several posters have commented on hybrid oak trees as an important component of their habitat efforts. My preference would be for hybrids involving bur oaks, swamp white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, white oaks, or english oaks since I believe these hybrids are capable of producing large quantities of mast. The bebbs oak, beadles oak, bimundors oak, burenglish, burgamble oak, sargent oak, schuettes oak, regal prince oak, kindred spirit, and crimson spire oak - just to name a few - are 10 hybrids involving one or more parents from the list of 5 white oak species listed in sentence 2 above. Several commercial sources exist for some of thes hybrids; however, there are potential problems associated with acquisition of hybrid oak trees/hybrid oak tree acorns from commercial sources. Even though a hybrid might be listed/described on a nursery site, attempts to purchase may be thwarted by the OOS (out of stock) or SO (sold out) situation. Second, they can be somewhat expensive for the"person" who wishes to plant large numbers of each hybrid. If one is willing to start their hybrid trees from acorns, it remains a challenge to locate parent trees of desirable species. In an attempt to help folks in this regard, I'll share how acorns from desirable hybrid-oak species might be acquired at a low cost. to be continued .....

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
Update 8-7-2022

Photo #1 ... What you can expect ... if you don't protect ... a busted wreck ... ouch! ... that hurts
Photo #2 ... the sibling shoots a new flush of leaves

Photo #3 ............. we may yet have a shot at a 30-inch tree before Oct. 1!
1659919502551.jpeg1659919248115.jpeg1659918919751.png