The Whitetail Group

I like Winke and I watch his show for that reason, he's a good guy. He does have a tendency to do the same thing over and over though. It used to blow my mind how he had a 1,000 acre farm but he would hunt out of the same blind day after day with no success.
I love winke but that drone stuff grossed me out big time. I know he’s legit but on a whitetail cribs episode on YouTube he was bragging about a Colorado buck he saw in a field and had a buddy push it by his stand and shot it. All I could do is shake my head. That isn’t hunting.

I love winke but that drone stuff grossed me out big time. I know he’s legit but on a whitetail cribs episode on YouTube he was bragging about a Colorado buck he saw in a field and had a buddy push it by his stand and shot it. All I could do is shake my head. That isn’t hunting.

Why isn't it hunting? How is it worse than a spot and stalk?

I really hate the typical midwest deer drives because of safety (friend almost hit me with a slug as a kid) and the amount of low odds/unethical shots taken but I don't see what's wrong with bumping a deer as part of a tactic?

Why isn't it hunting? How is it worse than a spot and stalk?

I really hate the typical midwest deer drives because of safety (friend almost hit me with a slug as a kid) and the amount of low odds/unethical shots taken but I don't see what's wrong with bumping a deer as part of a tactic?
To me you didn’t hunt that animal on his terms. You involved another person pushing that animal to an ambush spot. Obviously this is a personal interpretation of what is hunting, but I believe it should be done with woodsmanship at best and luck at worst. Seeing a deer in a field, setting up in the only cover around, and getting a buddy to push it to you is one step above sitting in a high rack and shooting deer eating out of a corned up sendero
Edit: if he would have stalked that thing, kudos. That takes some skill

Last edited:
Probably part of what makes him relatable to the regular guy. We saw that cribs episode yesterday and he talked about a couple big bucks on the wall that he thought were 5+ but after being killed they sent the teeth in and they came back 4. He still smiled and appreciated the deer without having some holier than thou attitude that I think a lot of other industry people would have. Maybe Winke wouldn't have a buddy push him a deer these days, but he can still tell that old story and present it as perhaps part of his journey or evolution. I also thought the drone tactic was cringey.

I have a camera on my driveway. It is very common to have mature bucks cross in front of it within minutes of one of our vehicles coming through. They certainly can become tolerant of certain things. Each has a personality though that might sway this. I'm pretty sure that there are less tolerant bucks that I don't get pics of right after a car passes.

To me you didn’t hunt that animal on his terms. You involved another person pushing that animal to an ambush spot. Obviously this is a personal interpretation of what is hunting, but I believe it should be done with woodsmanship at best and luck at worst. Seeing a deer in a field, setting up in the only cover around, and getting a buddy to push it to you is one step above sitting in a high rack and shooting deer eating out of a corned up sendero
It is interesting you are describing this as woodmanship. I'm fairly confident that our ancestors who relied on their woodsmanship to survive ran deer drives with humans or dogs. I personally wouldn't take part in something like this, but I don't really care that much one way or another, as long as it is legal.

I still think it is worth discussing because conversations like these are what help shape public policy and what is legal. With that said, I am sure if you asked Winke, he would have more pride in the split G-2 buck or some of his other hunting accomplishments before that one.

It is interesting you are describing this as woodmanship. I'm fairly confident that our ancestors who relied on their woodsmanship to survive ran deer drives with humans or dogs. I personally wouldn't take part in something like this, but I don't really care that much one way or another, as long as it is legal.

I still think it is worth discussing because conversations like these are what help shape public policy and what is legal. With that said, I am sure if you asked Winke, he would have more pride in the split G-2 buck or some of his other hunting accomplishments before that one.
Totally, but I think it’s important to understand this is one persons opinion that’s all. But…unlike our ancestors we don’t rely on game to sustain life. Yes it’s a luxury and some people base a bulk of their diets on it but none of us will die if we don’t catch or shoot something. So, there is a distinction between woodsmanship to survive and woodsmanship to honor the pursuit.

That is a pretty high standard but i understand you're just stating how you see it. I realize he's a bow guy so the stalk is a tougher thing but what about rifle guys? In mild conditions, a deer is as good as dead if I can get him to stand still within 600 yards with a rifle. I assume that's less than sporting as well?

Deer drives aren't as popular these days up here but it used to be the way during WI's rifle season. Don't see it with the bow often but doesn't make it any different.

I’ve already derailed this one! I’m gonna stop and say to each their own in regards to standards and ethics.
I do hate to see winkes place broke up. Saw it listed the other day. Looks like whoever bought it did so to flip it. Sad

It's only broke up if the buyer doesn't buy both pieces. Maybe the new guy will buy it all and then some. Most places around here are trying to get bigger not smaller.

We used to do late season archery and muzzleloader deer drives here in PA. What a blast they were. I killed my 3rd deer ever with a bow on one of them when I was 13. Not a lot of driving around anymore though with the available land to get on shrinking. Never cared much for driving in rifle season. Not a fan of walking towards someone that is most likely going to shoot in my direction. Still a few large groups that drive for bear around though.

I like Winke and I watch his show for that reason, he's a good guy. He does have a tendency to do the same thing over and over though. It used to blow my mind how he had a 1,000 acre farm but he would hunt out of the same blind day after day with no success.
I am a lunger - I hunt the freshest sign. Might say I chase it. My wife goes to the same stand every time - whether or not there has been a decent buck there recently. She has more deer on the wall than I do.

Seems like property flipping scheme to me. If that is what or why someone wants to develop a property for wildlife then yes there is info there.

Not a fan.
About ten years ago there was a dust up on Archery Talk on Lokosky about tagging a booner with a doe tag when he didn’t even have a buck tag and getting a slap on the wrist. He bought a buck tag a week or so later when he “realized” what he had done. Said he had so many out of state tags it was an honest mistake…and the warden was his buddy. Complete BS and he got a $100 fine or something. I’m sure it would have been same result for anyone else that did the same…NOT.

Lots of the big name hunting TV show personalities have some very nice huge properties that are loaded with big bucks. They nonstop pimp products and their ideas. Good for them. I’ll pass.

I would much rather interact with people on this little site and share info of what others have tried that has worked for them in similar situations as mine.

Consultants have a shelf life that relies on their ability to provide real strategies' that produce results.... real or perceived. When Winke (btw I like him) got in the game, the consultant industry was in the infant stage and was beginning to shape itself. He had good content to deliver to even experienced hunters like myself who wanted to learn. The content to newbies was even more valuable. He had a down to earth style that did not come across as gimicky.

I see the consultant market as over saturated with many just hammering the same topics. Then arguing whether a 36" hinge is better than a 60" hinge cut, or log or no log for deer beds.

Too many consultants also connect non related dots with invisible lines of anecdotal evidence. This is the BOB seed analogy ... doing "y" and then "x" happens. They draw conclusions to connect events that are not supported by evidence.

Nothing beats sitting 1000s of hour in a stand, scouting, and learning hunting skills to improve your success. Too many are looking for instant success without investing the time to learn. Consultants rely on this and feed people's belief that there are short cuts to success.

Consultants have a shelf life that relies on their ability to provide real strategies' that produce results.... real or perceived. When Winke (btw I like him) got in the game, the consultant industry was in the infant stage and was beginning to shape itself. He had good content to deliver to even experienced hunters like myself who wanted to learn. The content to newbies was even more valuable. He had a down to earth style that did not come across as gimicky.

I see the consultant market as over saturated with many just hammering the same topics. Then arguing whether a 36" hinge is better than a 60" hinge cut, or log or no log for deer beds.

Too many consultants also connect non related dots with invisible lines of anecdotal evidence. This is the BOB seed analogy ... doing "y" and then "x" happens. They draw conclusions to connect events that are not supported by evidence.

Nothing beats sitting 1000s of hour in a stand, scouting, and learning hunting skills to improve your success. Too many are looking for instant success without investing the time to learn. Consultants rely on this and feed people's belief that there are short cuts to success.
Good points. And not to mention a lot of these guys are just passing on anecdotal observations on what makes their hunts good. They have to. They aren’t academics. They have zero educational background in this stuff. That’s why I enjoy guys like Harper, msu deer lab, will golsbey and Marcus lashley.
I remember winke saying one time iowa sure makes us look good. We would not be this successful if we hunted elsewhere. I appreciate his humility on that fact.

Good points. And not to mention a lot of these guys are just passing on anecdotal observations on what makes their hunts good. They have to. They aren’t academics. They have zero educational background in this stuff. That’s why I enjoy guys like Harper, msu deer lab, will golsbey and Marcus lashley.
I remember winke saying one time iowa sure makes us look good. We would not be this successful if we hunted elsewhere. I appreciate his humility on that fact.
This is what I like most about Winke.

I agree, winke is pure class. He doesn't have an arrogant bone in his body.
Winke is very good at getting his point across to the average hunter. People can relate to him.