What mineral you guys using?

Garlic?!?! What's the thought on that one?
Garlic is used in the cattle industry to keep flies off cattle. It's kind of a holistic remedy for guys that don't want to use pour-on.

Reactions: cbw
In my experience in the upper Midwest, deer stop using salt and mineral licks before the season starts.
I got little use until the rut. But during rut both male and female used more than the feeders.

I will say I’ve don’t two 4x4 pits in diet. Mixed in broken up minerals, some trophy rock, and deer dirt. Took them a while but rains made it kind of a slushy water hole. The deer live in them and dick them down deep getting into them. May play on their scrape instincts, I don’t know.

That's a bit of a drive from Ohio. It seems there's a place in Findlay and one in Delphos that might be able to help.
I ordered some from Tractor Supply for store pickup

I used to go to fleet farm and buy 2 50lb bags of trace mineral, 1 50lb bag of di-cal and 1 50lb bag of salt. It was under $80 total. I made the mistake of adding 50lbs of molasses one year and the bears loved it. Didn't do that a second time. The di-cal is supposed to be the part of the mix that helps to grow bigger antlers but the deer don't really care for the taste of it by itself so that's where the rest of the mix comes in. That would last me 2 to 3 years depending on how "fresh" I would keep the mineral sites. I was only running 2 sites on my 115 acres and good activity at both. Now I'm lazy and my back is shot so I just order Redmond trophy rocks and bags of the mineral ready to dump. Usually just put it out once a year in the spring and call it good.

Apple flavored mineral blocks are very popular at this time of year when snow flies and in the spring melt off.AC285030-E5A8-4823-BB17-359485647394.jpeg

I used to go to fleet farm and buy 2 50lb bags of trace mineral, 1 50lb bag of di-cal and 1 50lb bag of salt. It was under $80 total. I made the mistake of adding 50lbs of molasses one year and the bears loved it. Didn't do that a second time. The di-cal is supposed to be the part of the mix that helps to grow bigger antlers but the deer don't really care for the taste of it by itself so that's where the rest of the mix comes in. That would last me 2 to 3 years depending on how "fresh" I would keep the mineral sites. I was only running 2 sites on my 115 acres and good activity at both. Now I'm lazy and my back is shot so I just order Redmond trophy rocks and bags of the mineral ready to dump. Usually just put it out once a year in the spring and call it good.
Same buddy. Just easier to dump the premixed rocks.

I do think what you did stays in soil for years, so prob does just need freshening yearly.

Apple flavored mineral blocks are very popular at this time of year when snow flies and in the spring melt off.View attachment 61881
I haven’t had much luck with flavored. Seems to be a time of year thing when stressed more than flavor.

I will say peanut butter flavored rice bran is like crack at all times. They all walk around looking like coke heads!

A friend of mine uses garlic in mineral . He swears it helps prevent the biting midges and EHD .

Exactly also helps keep the flies off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use trace minerals for stump destruction and the damn deer eat it all. At least the stumps rot away faster. 😁
I did that too and had a porcupine come and eat a bunch of the stump. Little bastard got his picture taken several hundreds of times coming down the tree in the background, then walking ever so slowly down a long log making his way towards the stump. Then he would sit there for 45 minutes eating the salty stump. My camera didn't miss a single picture I'm sure.