All in one plant/seed reference book ?

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
Has anyone found a book or series of books that address all/part of the seeds/varieties we use in our deer,cover,pollinator, native and other plot activities that will give plant characteristics , planting rates/depth/time/growth stages etc etc ????

It seems a pipe dream I know but some enterprising person has surely figured a need

I find myself with stacks of this and that of seed catalogs, university extension briefs and articles that may or may not be hearsay ..and as I think about seed catalogs and their information though good are not always adaptable to my zone or do not even give a zone ..they are there to sell me seeds and have no way of knowing my weather/soils/planting methods etc ..

I'm sure by now you guys that have learned this thru trial and error ..or have the same stack of paper I have are chuckling big time ..and to give credit the guys on here who DO very willingly share their knowledge very well ..in fact this forum is unlike any I have ever been on as to a helping hand always coming forth ..so I salute everyone's willingness to help

Bear

That info may vary for each guy, depending on where he's planting plot crops. Things that guys swear by in the south - that work for them - don't necessarily work in northern states. For instance - some of the clovers that do well down south, don't do well in colder states. If someone were to compile a catalog like you describe - as long as they specified the zones / states / regions a given seed grows well in - it could be a big asset for any grower. I've not seen such a detailed list / catalog myself.

I do have piles of briefs, PDF's, charts, seed catalogs, etc. as you said. I've researched on several forums, on a number of university sites, and talked via e-mail with a number of university profs. too. Been there, friend!!! Your comment about scattered papers made me chuckle.

Last edited:
It would be interesting......to set up a computer full of data sets like this on seeds and herbicides and more.....based on USDA growing areas. Then you could "assemble" a book for a given user from the information on file. Such a book would not include things done in some growing zones but include popular methods for your area.

Keeping it all on-line would allow improvements and changes over time. Could download the book contents for a fee. I'd gladly pay $20 or more for such a detailed book for my area. Sounds like a project for the likes of a committee or forum......lol.

^ This could be a great project for someone that is in the consulting biz and has lots of good experience in different areas of the county. (or perhaps two or three such guys that could collaborate on a project like this). Send in your soil type(s), acreage, plot sizes, machine capabilities, timber info, and growing zone, etc.....and they custom tailor a book for your management considerations by basically picking from a list of topics that are proven to be of value to guys such as yourself.

One the boiler plate materials were put together.....it would be a matter of doing some updates from time to time. Could be kinda like a Wikipedia of food plotting. I think the cost just went up. lol.

Thanks WG ..followed the link but currently sold out with an up dated version coming out in 2024 $99 ...

I'll put it on my Christmas list
😎

Deer Creek Seeds has a pretty good guide for their seeds. Not quite everything you're looking for though.

We already have an "all in one" source

The Lickcreek forum on H-T

bill

Here is an early "version" of Craig Harbor's book in PDF Format as provided through the Tennessee Extension office. It's 168 pages, so be careful if you hit "print" instead of save (ask me how I know). I've found it to be very helpful.