I threw a mix of store bought beans in mine this year following your plan. Pinto, black eye, kidney. They didn't have any large bags of one single bean so I thought I'd try a mix of a bunch and just see what happened. We've gotten quite a bit of rain so hopefully in a couple weeks when I make it back, they'll be coming up. They could easily get nipped off immediately for me though.
That all went in my "big" plot. It's between 1/3 and 1/2 of an acre. I put about 10 lbs of various beans, 1 lb of PTT, 1/4 lb of sweet red beets, and about 3 lbs of clover and chicory. Oh and a handful of sweet corn and sunflower seeds that I had found in my refrigerator. Excited to see what happens.

I threw a mix of store bought beans in mine this year following your plan. Pinto, black eye, kidney. They didn't have any large bags of one single bean so I thought I'd try a mix of a bunch and just see what happened. We've gotten quite a bit of rain so hopefully in a couple weeks when I make it back, they'll be coming up. They could easily get nipped off immediately for me though.
The first year I tried grocery store beans I bought every kind Walmart had, planted them rows next to the front porch. All of them grew. I've found deer eat any bean plant just as readily as they do soybeans.
I'm rooting for ya with your mix! Hope it works.

When my cousin was about 2 years old.....he stuck a soybean up his nose. He was acting kinda funny so his parents took him to the doctor where they discovered the bean was growing in his nasal passage. LOL. 🤣

The first year I tried grocery store beans I bought every kind Walmart had, planted them rows next to the front porch. All of them grew. I've found deer eat any bean plant just as readily as they do soybeans.
I'm rooting for ya with your mix! Hope it works.
It's working for now. Hopefully the rain keeps up. Missed some smartweed with the Gly. Might have to go back with the weedwacker and knock it back

Beans.jpg

A quick update on my T&M this year. The micro plot had pintos 3-6” tall and some of the other stuff was up around an inch. No sunflowers to be seen, coons must have eaten them all. The picture is 11 days after seeding. The gas line plot after 6 days had all kinds of goodies growing for the critters.
IMG_1979.jpegIMG_1978.jpegIMG_1977.jpeg

Who's your buddy?^^^^^^

bill

I'm here for more Zeus pics

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nice wirehaired Ctscratch.

Had a WPG myself. Her name was daisy. Great bird dog. Trained her to find the birds other would miss.

This is her the day after she put her foot under a car tire............

Attachments

• 20150820_220136.jpg
    20150820_220136.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 26
Nice wirehaired Ctscratch.

Had a WPG myself. Her name was daisy. Great bird dog. Trained her to find the birds other would miss.

This is her the day after she put her foot under a car tire............
She looks disheartened! Like she would rather be outside but knew she screwed up. Beautiful dog!

Think how great that dog would be if he could see!! Grin. (looks like a great companion).
Funny story. The dog and I were on a run this spring. All of a sudden he plows into me from the side. I'm guessing he didn't see me or misjudged where I was out. Sent me flying and layed me out! I got up brushing gravel out of my knee, elbows, and shoulder. Looked over and the damn dog was hunkered down like I'd just hit him! Goofy thing! And just so you know I do give him hair cuts, it just grows back.

Zeus looks like a good boy!

Hello TnM guys. I want to broadcast winter rye seed into a standing winter rye and clover plot, then brush hog the standing rye and clover. My hope was to do this without terminating the clover and weeds (near apple trees). Has anyone had good luck without spraying it or would I just be wasting my time?

Hello TnM guys. I want to broadcast winter rye seed into a standing winter rye and clover plot, then brush hog the standing rye and clover. My hope was to do this without terminating the clover and weeds (near apple trees). Has anyone had good luck without spraying it or would I just be wasting my time?
I suppose every answer is going to include some questions. My questions are what kind of weeds do you have and how bad are they. Often broadleaf weeds can be controlled by mowing. The mowing will be good for your clover and you likely will get some free rye seed if you planted that last fall.

Lots of guys do a throw and mow on clover and rye. I'm planning to do some of this same thing in late August.....and in other areas I will use a drill under similar circumstances. If your weeds are not a huge issue....I'd think you will be fine. If you have lots of grasses or thistles and such....that could be another matter.

I suppose every answer is going to include some questions. My questions are what kind of weeds do you have and how bad are they. Often broadleaf weeds can be controlled by mowing. The mowing will be good for your clover and you likely will get some free rye seed if you planted that last fall.

Lots of guys do a throw and mow on clover and rye. I'm planning to do some of this same thing in late August.....and in other areas I will use a drill under similar circumstances. If your weeds are not a huge issue....I'd think you will be fine. If you have lots of grasses or thistles and such....that could be another matter.
Thank you. The weeds are manly ferns and some thistles. Not much grass, it was diced well last year and had good clover growth

Thank you. The weeds are manly ferns and some thistles. Not much grass, it was diced well last year and had good clover growth
You might consider spot spraying those thistles. Might be too late for this year. Dunno.

TnM plots are looking good. Was blessed with some rain (again) this weekend. Twice in the same summer is spectacular!
Screenshot_20230806_213532_Gallery.jpg

Grabbed a milo, sunflower, and pinto plant. Lots going on above and below ground. Simply amazing how well things are growing. I'm often tempted to sway but have stuck with regenerative methods instead. I think the plots get better every yr.
Screenshot_20230806_213542_Gallery.jpg