That's awesome Alan!.....I hope you have good luck with the method and I look forward to seeing how your experiment unfolds.

Last edited:
I'm trying a variation of this method this year on a plot I was hoping to use a more "traditional" approach. This plot was planted a couple of years ago with limited success and not touched since then. I sprayed the plot in April, it was tilled shallowly in mid/late May and broadcast + cultipacked RR soybeans on Memorial Day weekend. Life got in the way and I never made it back to do any follow up spraying. Well we made it down to the cabin this weekend and a "bean plot" not quite what I found...

There were soybeans mixed in with all the other stuff, but the grasses took over and browsing was pretty evident.

The original plan was to spread fertilizer, lightly disk it in, and then broadcast+cultipack a brassica blend. I did not have the time available to turn that plot over with the equipment I have at my disposal, so I changed plans. I broadcast the fertilizer, then the brassica seed, sprayed with gly, and cultipacked it. Now I'm in a wait and see mode. I'm pretty sure that my planting method should be sound enough, just hope I can get some help from the weather. I am a bit concerned about being too light on the seed and getting it spread evenly. First time spreading brassicas with the tow behind spreader and it took a bit of trial and error to get it coming out of it at a not too slow or fast rate. The plot is roughly 3/4 acre and I spread 5# of seed. So, we'll see what it looks like in a month when I head down to do the rye/oat/clover plots...

Here's my sprayer at work making sure he's going the right speed! But I think he liked the cultipacking step better... ;)

Pointer.....I think your seeding rate will work out just fine. Keep us updated. You northern guys get to start planting earlier than we do down here in the south and it's getting me fired up and ready to go watching y'all.

Something for everyone to keep in mind when you mow is that you're not just mowing.....you're processing and spreading thatch/biomass. Be sure to take your time and get the biomass well processed and spread evenly...even if it requires making a second pass across the field. You don't want to just wind row the cuttings. I'm dealing with a lot of biomass in my field so when I mow, I just go ahead and plan on making two passes. My first one is a rough cut with my cutter raised up a little higher. My second pass I lower the cutter on down and put a more finished cut on it. If you have two tractors working, you can make your first pass cutting....let the other tractor man spread the seed....then make your second pass with the cutter. This will help with anyone dealing with spreading seed in tall biomass. You could do it with one tractor that way but you'd just have to switch implements a lot.

I think I should be. By my rough calculations and assuming even coverage that mix is about 18 live seeds/square foot. Even with a 50% germination rate, which I'd hope to best, that's 9 plants per square foot... If it doesn't look too good in a month I do have some winter rye and oats I'll overseed with. Either way, it's fun to try...

Broadcast my cereal grain mix yesterday. This is a first time plot in an old grass field.

After broadcast.
fece5638e249886b5105e7767c607984.jpg

After mowing.
1f824658d5295083fa8e0f93907c5ad5.jpg

Aerial view from my wife's rifle stand.
15fdc2ab4fcbfd58388ef745ff8e72ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Nice Barndog!.....I hope it works out well for you. We ought to be getting some green pics before long from some of you guys.

Brassicas 2 1/2 weeks after planting.

354424c741a6883c679d6158c7108ff8.jpg

Brassicas 2 1/2 weeks after planting.

354424c741a6883c679d6158c7108ff8.jpg

Nice suppression of weeds on that, did you gly as well, or just mow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, i glyed a couple weeks before broadcast and mow. The r e are still some broadleaf weexs coming up. And it was a bob mix bought on clearance which has some ryegrass in it, so you can see that coming up too.

Reactions: Exo
Silly first question on the forum but I see a lot of people mention "LC" grain. Is that a brand name or an abriviation? Thanks.

Silly first question on the forum but I see a lot of people mention "LC" grain. Is that a brand name or an abriviation? Thanks.
Paul Knox developed his own rotation with brassicas and cereal grains.

Cereal grains http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=505
Brassicas http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=566

This is Paul's rotation
The following is the crop rotation/mixes/planting times I recommend to feed whitetails year around in one central feeding area

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost,Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28
Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Scott44,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

I guess there was even more to the LC than I thought.

FYI, I believe his handle on the old forum was LickCreek ...that is where the LC comes from.

Quick question for you throw-n-mow guys, I'm in S Illinois, I sprayed my plots last weekend. I have 100# rye,50# wheat, 10# red clover, 5# sweet yellow clover, and 2# chickory, was planning on mixing this all together for my plots. My father in law is in a Quail club and they gave him some seed, its for 1 acre and basically a brassica mix -turnips,kale,radishes, ect.. would you mix this in as well or plant on a separate plot??

Quick question for you throw-n-mow guys, I'm in S Illinois, I sprayed my plots last weekend. I have 100# rye,50# wheat, 10# red clover, 5# sweet yellow clover, and 2# chickory, was planning on mixing this all together for my plots. My father in law is in a Quail club and they gave him some seed, its for 1 acre and basically a brassica mix -turnips,kale,radishes, ect.. would you mix this in as well or plant on a separate plot??

It will be fine to add some of it into your mix but just make sure not to go over 2 ish lbs/ac total with your brassicas or you'll start shading out too much of your cereal grains if the deer don't consume the brassicas early on.

I also have 2 plots of white clover from last year,in all about 3/4 of an acre. Would it help to broadcast rye into those?

SIL hunter it absolutely will help to put down some rye in it. It will thicken up the plot, add some biomass, the root system will go deeper and be more dense, you will have something for the deer in the coldest part of winter, capture any available N left from the clover crop. All those things are a win-win. Good luck and have fun! "D"

Just saw that growing deer TV did an episode on throw and roll... Reduced tillage is starting to make some publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, how does the thrownand mow technique work with buckwheat? Tried it with some brasscas and its working prretty darn good! Getting some good rain this weekend that should help a lot.