I don't know that it matters much but I prefer to seed first figuring that with each additional pass fertilizing, rolling, etc the chances of a seed getting pushed into the soil increases.
Yep, that's how I do it for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got a question, I ordered the seed for the fall plot a couple weeks ago.

Well there must of been a misunderstanding on both ends. And I believe I got way more seed than I intended.

What I ordered for the mix
20# Cereal rye
4# 2 types of white clover
1/4# creeping alfalfa
1/4# daikon radish
1/4# dwarf Essex rape

What I ended up with was close, but got 4# of 2 different variety white clover for a total of 8#

The area is only .18 acres big. So I thought that was on the heavy side.

Should I plant it all upfront or save half for frost seeding in the spring.

This will be spray throw drag method.

Thz

As planting time gets closer for my brassica plots im still not sure what to do. The one area I want to plant was split into two plantings. one half is clover and chicory (which has been there a few years) and the other half was brassica two years ago, last year it was beans and over seeded with rye in the fall. I sprayed the clovery/chicory On saturday and left the rye. I just dont know if I should try the throw and mow technique or just till it like I always do.

The ry is quite tall so i;m thinking what I would do is mow, seed, mow again, and spray. Is this a decent option or should I just till it up like I always have?

As planting time gets closer for my brassica plots im still not sure what to do. The one area I want to plant was split into two plantings. one half is clover and chicory (which has been there a few years) and the other half was brassica two years ago, last year it was beans and over seeded with rye in the fall. I sprayed the clovery/chicory On saturday and left the rye. I just dont know if I should try the throw and mow technique or just till it like I always do.

The ry is quite tall so i;m thinking what I would do is mow, seed, mow again, and spray. Is this a decent option or should I just till it up like I always have?
The whole purpose of throw and mow is to avoid tillage, or at least minimize it.
Seed it first while all the thatch is vertcal. Then mow, and rolling wouldn't hurt either.
Your seed varieties are all small. They'll do fine if the competition is minimal. The timing of your planting is the important thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sprayed and broadcast soybeans today. I know it may seem late, but got a deal on some seed. Besides I figure my beans will still be green a month after everyone elses around here.

Half the field looked like this, all grass.

20170710_143128.jpg

The other half is mostly broadleafs. Mill mow it all tomorrow, with rain in forecast for tomorrow night.
20170710_143152.jpg

Got a question, I ordered the seed for the fall plot a couple weeks ago.

Well there must of been a misunderstanding on both ends. And I believe I got way more seed than I intended.

What I ordered for the mix
20# Cereal rye
4# 2 types of white clover
1/4# creeping alfalfa
1/4# daikon radish
1/4# dwarf Essex rape

What I ended up with was close, but got 4# of 2 different variety white clover for a total of 8#

The area is only .18 acres big. So I thought that was on the heavy side.

Should I plant it all upfront or save half for frost seeding in the spring.

This will be spray throw drag method.

Thz

On .18 acres with radish and rape seed and rye I'd only use about a lb of clover. 8 lbs would make a nice stand on a full acre.

Besides I figure my beans will still be green a month after everyone elses around here.

I'm curious if they will stay green longer or it's a number of daylight hours thing. I threw old seed out into browning beans last sept. Didn't do much.

I'm curious if they will stay green longer or it's a number of daylight hours thing. I threw old seed out into browning beans last sept. Didn't do much.

Guess I was just assuming they're a 70 day crop, or something like that where the later they're planted the later they yellow and drop leaves.

You may be right. I'm curious how it works.

Just looked, they are daylight sensitive. That's what I get for assuming.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

When I was planting the above plot- I spread the seed, then spread the urea and fertilizer as I drove around with the lawn roller. Made 3-4 passes over the plot going back and forth then 2 passes going the other direction. After the passes, I got down and lifted up the grass, I was fairly impressed with how the seeds had been pushed into the ground and some even covered with dirt due to the ATV tires and then the roller going over them. This soil was pretty moist as it is low ground.

Thanks for the info gents! This will be my first attempt at this method. If it works I could be doing more of this next year. Heck I might even try planting row crops with the 3 row right into the rye then roll and spray.

Ok, I need some help on this. My field is buckwheat right now. It came in great. I plan to TRM (well spray) at the end of the month. I was going to play my kale, brassica, turnips and rape. BUT - I am not sure if I can overseas the second planting of oats and barley. Should I plant it all at the beginning of August? Or should I try to over seed?
728112a48dac7303d1316ce089cfe1a4.jpg
bbcc391a858f7939e9cc1c39c0b26269.jpg
dc3a40ceb840aec05e567e7743a313d7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok, I need some help on this. My field is buckwheat right now. It came in great. I plan to TRM (well spray) at the end of the month. I was going to play my kale, brassica, turnips and rape. BUT - I am not sure if I can overseas the second planting of oats and barley. Should I plant it all at the beginning of August? Or should I try to over seed?
728112a48dac7303d1316ce089cfe1a4.jpg
bbcc391a858f7939e9cc1c39c0b26269.jpg
dc3a40ceb840aec05e567e7743a313d7.jpg

Yikes! Not sure that made sense... Let me try again.

My field is buckwheat right now. It came in great. I've posted pics before but one is here for reference.

At the end of July, I plan to throw in my kale, brassica, turnips and rape and then use my harrow rake to knock down the buckwheat. I might spray if it looks like the buckwheat isn't beaten enough by the rake. A pic of what's in the bag is here from the brassica mix.

My next step would be to overseed into the above at the end of August with barley and oats (also a pick from the bag). BUT - I am not sure if I can really overseed into the brassica/kale/etc. The bag says that I need this seed into the soil. I know that I won't want to hurt the stuff growing.

So my question is, should I just plant it all at the beginning of August? Or should I try to over seed with the barley/oats (does it need to be covered with dirt?)

There are much smarter people on the throw and mow technique here than me, but I would question why you are planting barley and oats over brassicas? The brassicas will do well as it gets cold, I don't see any reason to over seed them.

I might very well be missing something though. Sorry if I did.

-John

I would want to put cereal rye on that field if you can get some. Oats have a big seed in comparison and will do better after you have a more conditioned top layer of soil. Since you already have the seed, you could mix it with some cereal rye but don't go too heavy on the brassicas. A couple pounds per acre is enough. I'd want most of the field being a cereal grain right now.....a "grass".

Thanks for the feedback Crimson n' Camo.
As you can tell, I'm just starting out, so I have basic questions.
Are you saying to get more "grass" because of the way my pictures look? Or is that based on something else?
And by "now" do you mean this time of year or is that based on where my plot is in the overall lifecycle of "throw and mow"? (which is the very first planting of anything on that ground).

No problem.....Isn’t this a brand new plot? I’m saying “now” from the perspective that you’re in the very first steps of a long-term process. The main goals early on is to get the bare soil surface covered and stabilize the tops few inches of soil with a very fine, fibrous root system…You need to put a layer of hay across the soil surface so that you also begin to stop…..or at least slow down water flow across the soil surface…..in turn improving water infiltration and moisture retention. When you mow that buckwheat, I think you’ll find that the biomass produced from it will disappear pretty quickly and you’ll be seeing bare soil surface again....kind of like if you mowed clover. The same will happen with brassicas. You need a couple heavy grass crops to get out of the hole in the beginning and to start building the first layers of OM.

Thanks. You hit it right. Thus is a new plot. There is still a lot of soil showing. I was hoping the buckwheat would last longer. Guess not. I'll have to find more seed.

I'm not sure how the brassicas will do on the throw and roll plot without spraying but it did release a lot of clover.
494203dd1df60997289ef135e06cbabd.jpg
4337b57cbd8a932e50eca8c966312bb4.jpg
8cb33173da919faa945319160984f017.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk