The Sweet Clover Thread

I checked over the plot again this weekend. I’ve got some stunting going on with my forage barley out in the main plot. The only reason I know that is because I have a spot where I hauled in topsoil to fill a hole. The hole area has 16” barley ready to start pushing a seed head. The rest isn’t 9” I bet, and no heads showing.

I think it’s just too thick between the balansa and chicory. Any open pockets between all of that has lots of grain and flax. The flax is doing great though. Very tall, and good subsoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the balansa spring planted? Last year fall planted? Or did it grow that much when you seeded this summer/fall?

Is the balansa spring planted? Last year fall planted? Or did it grow that much when you seeded this summer/fall?
I'm pretty sure I didn't broadcast any balansa this spring, so what's out there had to have come back from last year. It just dawned on me... The one thing I did different this time was I had a clean slate when I planted and I left the topsoil in place. I sprayed and had the plot roto-tilled in July of 2022. Whenever else I've planted balansa, it was always after a construction project, and it had to go in six inches to three feet of dead clay. This plot actually has about 4" of topsoil before you get down to concrete.

I've got one more patch of new ground to fix next year that will get a total installation of a perennial plot. I'm considering dropping the sweet clover and just going with:

Rye
Balansa
Alfalfa
Chicory
Plantain
Black eyed susan
Purple coneflower
Ragweed

And then a mix of annuals to go along with it. But that would be the durable portion of the blend. And then from there just add rye and barley and mow it down. That first week of August seems to be the sweet spot for timing the mow in my area.

Lick Creek had some damn good combinations in his mixes.

I just read an article in a bee journal and learned.....

......1) North Dakota is a top honey producer in the nation 2) the majority of registered beekeepers are commercial 3) the reason is all the sweet clover

Time for SD to join the party

bill

I just read an article in a bee journal and learned.....

......1) North Dakota is a top honey producer in the nation 2) the majority of registered beekeepers are commercial 3) the reason is all the sweet clover

Time for SD to join the party

bill

Oh man, I don’t know. I’m still working on building garden beds and perennial fruit production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk