The Sweet Clover Thread

I've got considerable amounts of what I consider "natural" plantain on my property. Not sure the deer eat it very much. Seems it's about the same price as chicory.....so I have bought Chicory. I KNOW the deer like chicory.

They’re not the same. This is Boston plantain. It serves a few purposes beyond being a solid B forage for October. It’s an extra plant for diversity sake, and it seems to occupy places where other more aggressive stuff doesn’t seem to fill in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re not the same. This is Boston plantain. It serves a few purposes beyond being a solid B forage for October. It’s an extra plant for diversity sake, and it seems to occupy places where other more aggressive stuff doesn’t seem to fill in.

So......are we going to see a new video "debut" on your seed slinger today? I figure you were doing some rye or oats or sweet clover over the weekend. Kinda like to see how you do with the Herd.

So......are we going to see a new video "debut" on your seed slinger today? I figure you were doing some rye or oats or sweet clover over the weekend. Kinda like to see how you do with the Herd.

No video. I got it working, but decided not to spread today. My plots are starting to fill out now and I don’t see the seed making it until the deer get it knocked back in October.

I did spread a couple gallons in some bare spots, but I’m holding onto the rest of my 5 bushels for leaf drop weekend in October. I’m gonna have one day going back there blowing leaves off trails and spreading seed and checking cams.

Oh no. You must have missed the mow video. I opened with the blower. That’s the only way to do small seeds short of a drill.

So, I just ran into this video on YOUTUBE and the first guy I thought of was SD. This combine is for you SD! (grin)

So, I just ran into this video on YOUTUBE and the first guy I thought of was SD. This combine is for you SD! (grin)

That violates my anti-equipment values.

The tonnage is certainly there. It’ll be interesting to see where I end up on tonnage, and whether or not the deer will eat the oats that are not dark green.

I reached down and checked the thatch depth. I’m about 5 weeks in now I think. That layer was 4-6” thick and springy. The one spot I checked yesterday was at 3” now. I’ll keep watching it to see how well the sweet clover spots lay down as fall goes on.

Still need to spread winter trit after the chow down begins some time in mid October.

d190c24689f01fb232810c3a64148bcd.jpg

76ec6dc3223588541d86938a638453fe.jpg

bec43ec8c6e4b192e3f5f87bd404a2db.jpg

147534ec1172d8f974a86f2dcff34e55.jpg

^ Nice. But, why would you wait till mid-October to broadcast that Trit?

I would be worried that the oats begin getting too mature for attractiveness if they don't start on them until mid Oct. From the looks of it, they are already getting longer than deer prefer (in my experience).

^ Nice. But, why would you wait till mid-October to broadcast that Trit?
Historically, there's no space for them to get light or germinate until the deer trim the plot. This is a new year because the clover regen is very low. I should have spread trit when I rolled, but I had anticipated 12" clover canopy until mid october. Now the oats are in the way.

I would be worried that the oats begin getting too mature for attractiveness if they don't start on them until mid Oct. From the looks of it, they are already getting longer than deer prefer (in my experience).
I've had good luck with oats pretty far along. I'm ok so far, but it'll have to cool off to slow them down.