The Sandbox

Bur - Isn't it something that a random, chance seedling found wild would become so sought after ?? Pot of gold with leprechauns and a rainbow.

I hope you guys in the tundra get a break from the snow & cold soon. It's still cold here with about 3" of snow at our house - probably more at camp. Stay warm.

Bur - Isn't it something that a random, chance seedling found wild would become so sought after ?? Pot of gold with leprechauns and a rainbow.

I hope you guys in the tundra get a break from the snow & cold soon. It's still cold here with about 3" of snow at our house - probably more at camp. Stay warm.

Two more storms to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deer must also have spring fever. They are digging for grass.
13c63eebed33b084dda374f6deeef688.jpg

986046039d28fbb45ef0bef205b72253.jpg
07470f20c162b1da6bd3d8839715968f.jpg

The deer like to bed under the conifers and on the south side with our high snow depths.

Still corn in the foodplot and we currently have over thirty deer in the section.
c1bf795c5274ee5a713d1f9d96e8b9b8.jpg

Bedding in the evergreens and corn close at hand ………….:emoji_thumbsup:

Is that a Mole?
The one I have are that big but they have huge front feet.

Is that a Mole?
The one I have are that big but they have huge front feet.

That is a pocket gopher.

That is a pocket gopher.

I wouldn’t put him in my pocket :emoji_laughing:
We don’t have those that I know of.

That is a pocket gopher.

I wouldn’t put him in my pocket :emoji_laughing:
We don’t have those that I know of.

We can ship you some live ones. They are a pain in the a$$. They chew off the roots below the ground and the tree just tips over and dies.

Robbins like the flowering crab.

Big, fat gobbler you have there, Bur. I can see the beard in the pic.

Like you, our flowering Profusion crab in the yard draws robins and cedar waxwings. They clean off the shriveled fruit every early spring. It's a noisy tree first thing in the morning.

Big, fat gobbler you have there, Bur. I can see the beard in the pic.

Like you, our flowering Profusion crab in the yard draws robins and cedar waxwings. They clean off the shriveled fruit every early spring. It's a noisy tree first thing in the morning.

They might be profusion, who knows. My neighbor gave me several root suckers when I moved here. One has a Kazik apple tacked on it and another has NW Greening on it.

^^^^ There are so many small-fruited crabs out there, plus seedling crabs that are small. I only know my one yard crab is a Profusion because I bought it from a local nursery with a tag !! We have about 8 small-fruited, un-named seedling crabs at camp - fruit from 1/4" to 5/8" - and they feed lots of critters. I've seen deer, bears, grouse, turkeys, song birds, blue jays, coons, & opossum eat from those trees. All a plus in my book.

Do you hunt turkeys there ?? That gobbler looks pretty big.

^^^^ There are so many small-fruited crabs out there, plus seedling crabs that are small. I only know my one yard crab is a Profusion because I bought it from a local nursery with a tag !! We have about 8 small-fruited, un-named seedling crabs at camp - fruit from 1/4" to 5/8" - and they feed lots of critters. I've seen deer, bears, grouse, turkeys, song birds, blue jays, coons, & opossum eat from those trees. All a plus in my book.

Do you hunt turkeys there ?? That gobbler looks pretty big.

I have not hunted them yet, but might have to start.

Rootstock arrived today and I got it done and resting in dirt for a period.

Geneva scion has pink heartwood. Sorry no pictures of the Geneva.
d21975959fc9249c8bbe544b8c7f56ba.jpg

I grafted three or four named seedlings, the courthouse Crab, honeygold, jonsib crab, Martha ,Noran,Geneva, Breakey, St Lawrence , Golden Russet, and probably one or two I forgot.