The Sandbox

Bur - You're keeping them fed all winter, you have great cover there …………. just ease them over to spring & summer greens in a couple months. They know where they have it good and the living is easy !! Tracks in the snow tell the tale. :emoji_thumbsup:

One and a half miles west of me about 50 are on an alfalfa field(owned by my neighbor who plants the corn for me).

Here they have ignored the alfalfa and apples the last few weeks and hit the corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good place to search for sheds

Looks like a good place to search for sheds

A half rack yearling was in the corn this morning along with seven other deer. One was much bigger, but I could not get the binoculars on him.

Wow, glad it is March!
e56acadabbdaf47b675cc4f37588fc7e.jpg

Yup, no early spring this year. Another week of below zero here.

- 13 this morning on the way to work and more snow coming for the weekend.

Shoveled snow off the in-law's roof yesterday... first time I have ever stood on a roof and tossed snow up onto a pile. 2-4' of snow on the roof.

Sandbur, are you in Upsala?

Pic at post #823 - Woodstove weather !! Kettle of hot soup sitting on it.

Sandbur, are you in Upsala?

I am about 30 miles east of there.

Must be a lot of Scandinavians there. I have been to the original Uppsala in Sweden. It's right outside Stockholm, and has a big university. Angstrom did a lot of his research there.

Must be a lot of Scandinavians there. I have been to the original Uppsala in Sweden. It's right outside Stockholm, and has a big university. Angstrom did a lot of his research there.

Upsala has a lot of Swedes. Surrounding areas tend to beGerman and Polish.

I am not a native as I have only been here 39 years.

Bur - You're keeping them fed all winter, you have great cover there …………. just ease them over to spring & summer greens in a couple months. They know where they have it good and the living is easy !! Tracks in the snow tell the tale. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tracks in the snow.
8b603fb55e6ef20fb55777dc21b99396.jpg
fac0eb44b4245cdd52309cc5479e692b.jpg
3f5cfeb4c960242bd615d280fd76272c.jpg
6af03eb5bc1e0ef819a39030387a7622.jpg

The back foodplot is over run with turkeys.
60b02ecd19ec7a265bcea182ad6a49fb.jpg
8f01004e5291c07131dc451510009808.jpg

First time on the snowshoes this winter. It was good to get out.

Sandbur ... what do you do with the corn stalks in the spring? Do you knock them over and till under or chop them up and leave on the surface?

Sandbur ... what do you do with the corn stalks in the spring? Do you knock them over and till under or chop them up and leave on the surface?

My neighbor disks and plants. Some years it is plowed first.

Nice pix and tracks evidence. Looks like the critters have found you, BUR !! Terrain looks great.

Are all your spruces one variety or do you have several ?? If you have a few kinds, what are they ?? Those patches of them look great - nice and thick to block wind.

I have black hills, white, and just a few Norway spruce.

How does black hills spruce compare to white spruce for wildlife cover? Any other benefits for one over the other?

I've been happy with the white spruce I planted. The sure start slow though, but really take off after a few years.

How does black hills spruce compare to white spruce for wildlife cover? Any other benefits for one over the other?

I've been happy with the white spruce I planted. The sure start slow though, but really take off after a few years.

Black Hills spruce night grow a bit slower and could be a bit more dense.

My consulting forester had an interesting comment when I asked about the disease where older spruce tend to lose their lower limbs. He felt white spruce are more adapted to our environment in central and northern Minnesota. Thus they would probably get less of this disease than black hills, Norway, or blue spruce.

Oh BTW, Appleman found a chance seedling on his property that tested out great for a cider apple. Anyways he is having it grown by ACN, I think and is getting some pretty good royalties! It's going to be available in 2017 or 18, and called Franklin Cider apple. For hard cider right now Art, the cider makers are using just about anything, but are paying a little more for some better testing bitter sharps and such. The market is really taking off here in Vt., I here there is a couple real good cider makers out there too.

Interesting message from George that predicted the future.

I wis I knew more about bitter sharps.