The Sandbox

Two scrapes under this apple tree.
b469814f2ec38e498ebf469e1c25dc10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kind of reminds me of the way my Dad used to prune them, he always put in semi dwarf at the farm for our family&friends to pick/eat and would prune anything that grew up or in. His theory/plan was to be able to sit on the ground and pick his apples, they looked kind of like weeping willows loaded with apples......my habitat addiction and practices would make him laugh.

That tree is a seedling that my wife’s grandma gave me. It wasn’t pruned for years. A heavy fruit load every other year bends the central leader and the branches.

^^^^ That trail says a lot !! Nice hide-y hole in there.

^^^^ That trail says a lot !! Nice hide-y hole in there.

I have shot two bucks over there. I called one in with my voice, a grunt.

About five years ago, my buddy and I went over there in July and jumped a very big bodied deer. That corner wasn’t hunted last year.

5590685215c875fe9029320d55d9c18e.jpg
d13697d7c3f90edb04ae59112b0021e5.jpg

Yuck!

Holy cow, Bur !!! ^^^^ That looks like the beginning of deer season instead of May 9th. Stack of pancakes and home fries weather.

Well guys, that was my last time driving to or from work in a snowstorm....
Cuz I am done working!

First day of retirement can be rough.
573286f7153e252329b1b051d5387cfa.jpg

I was just figgerin’, if I tell my wife that she needs to wake me up so I don’t miss my nap, but then she goes to work and I sleep through my nap time, I must need another nap.

This all makes sense, right?

You probably were dreaming while visions of sugar plums crabs danced in your head. Looks like the cat retired too !!!

You probably were dreaming while visions of sugar plums crabs danced in your head. Looks like the cat retired too !!!

I booted the cat back outside. Her duty is catching mice and young rabbits around my apple trees.

Congratulations! Well deserved retirement I'm sure.

All my bench grafts are planted.

I added some left over scion to some Frankenstein trees and called it good.
1d17535af78844ac66249fe895369b62.jpg
045064ee3cc769978e21bf4e83adb196.jpg

Retirement is a tricky thing. If you’re not careful it becomes more work than...work

Retirement is a tricky thing. If you’re not careful it becomes more work than...work

But I can fish until dark, drive two hours home, and NOT have to get up early to go to work.

The alfalfa stand is old, but still attracts deer.
78b9c8e39f6973b31348aeb9428622f6.jpg

I'd take some of those old, dilapidated alfalfa genetics for our plots, Bur !! That stand looks fantastic. I wish I aged that well !!!

What's the secret ??

The alfalfa stand is old, but still attracts deer.
78b9c8e39f6973b31348aeb9428622f6.jpg

Do you remember what Alfalfa seed you used? I am going to plant about 5 acres to alfalfa later this year and am not sure what seed to use.

Bows and Doc, my renter puts it in. He has a crop consultant for all of his land. I have no idea what variety of alfalfa.

He is a great neighbor and avid deer hunter. He, his son, and nephew gave me the sheds from a buck I shot about three years ago.

Bows and Doc, my renter puts it in. He has a crop consultant for all of his land. I have no idea what variety of alfalfa.

He is a great neighbor and avid deer hunter. He, his son, and nephew gave me the sheds from a buck I shot about three years ago.

They are the Minnesota Rackstars group.

Good to have neighbors like them. Good neighbors are like gold.

It's good to have greens like those feeding the deer.