The Sandbox

Starting to be lots of turkeys by my land north of Remer, MN too. I dont hunt birds, but I prefer grouse. Did you guys shoot any deer Art?

We got two. That is all we need for the freezer.
My daughter got the biggest one!
38a6650805534758a5e7fc53dea657a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning I made a trip to one of my favorite spots in the north country.
af10825660c32ca48d54ce4639eaaeae.jpg
7947223cf15e2ae11c8f0da3dcb3240a.jpg

I shot my first duck just around the furthest bend in the last picture... about 51 years ago.

LOL. Looks like your sweating your ass off dealing with that heavy SOB. That brute is one fine lookin specimen.

Two short rows of spruce are starting to create some cover.
8bb5f09af65a26d4ac10f202af71d998.jpg

I took over spruce duties on our land up north this year. Instead of wasting money for years on them small little worthless plugs I bought the largest ones I could from Itasca greenhouse. What a huge difference. After one season some of the trees I planted this year are already past the stuff we planted 5 years ago as 4 and 6 plugs. Also had 100% survival rate. I tried to keep the ferns and weeds off them this summer by marking them with pink flags. That really seemed to boost them.

Then first week of OCT I bud capped every spruce I could on our property. Think I did 315 trees. 200 (7 easy hours with a shovel and flags) of them were the ones I planted this spring. The other 110 were all that remain of the nearly 1500 that we probably planted the 5 seasons before. I suspect in 3 years they should be 8' tall. I picked some awesome bedrooms and sure hope I am alive to see it in 10-20 years.

Planning like 200 more trees for next year. 1/3 Norway spruce again, 1/3 White pine, 1/3 Canaan Fir. All fast growers. Already have a few dozen whites out there, some scotch pine, Meyers spruce. Very few black spruce and black hills spruce and some fir trees.

Need to figure out a way to zap my ferns and replace with with nice grass like the stuff in your picture too.

LOL. Looks like your sweating your ass off dealing with that heavy SOB. That brute is one fine lookin specimen.

That is her pulling the deer out.

Two short rows of spruce are starting to create some cover.
8bb5f09af65a26d4ac10f202af71d998.jpg

I took over spruce duties on our land up north this year. Instead of wasting money for years on them small little worthless plugs I bought the largest ones I could from Itasca greenhouse. What a huge difference. After one season some of the trees I planted this year are already past the stuff we planted 5 years ago as 4 and 6 plugs. Also had 100% survival rate. I tried to keep the ferns and weeds off them this summer by marking them with pink flags. That really seemed to boost them.

Then first week of OCT I bud capped every spruce I could on our property. Think I did 315 trees. 200 (7 easy hours with a shovel and flags) of them were the ones I planted this spring. The other 110 were all that remain of the nearly 1500 that we probably planted the 5 seasons before. I suspect in 3 years they should be 8' tall. I picked some awesome bedrooms and sure hope I am alive to see it in 10-20 years.

Planning like 200 more trees for next year. 1/3 Norway spruce again, 1/3 White pine, 1/3 Canaan Fir. All fast growers. Already have a few dozen whites out there, some scotch pine, Meyers spruce. Very few black spruce and black hills spruce and some fir trees.

Need to figure out a way to zap my ferns and replace with with nice grass like the stuff in your picture too.

That nice grass is reed canary which is a nightmare to grow trees in.

I have lots of reeds canary grass around here. My grandfather planted it in the late 60’s/ early 70’s. Is it pretty hard to kill off? Wanted to put switch grass or nwsg’s in there.

Love those chocolate colored horns. Lot of rubbing on pine trees ?

Love those chocolate colored horns. Lot of rubbing on pine trees ?

I will need to find some big rubs and see what he had been using.

I have lots of reeds canary grass around here. My grandfather planted it in the late 60’s/ early 70’s. Is it pretty hard to kill off? Wanted to put switch grass or nwsg’s in there.

Reed canary has a tremendous seed bank in the soil, plus if an area seasonally floods, seed will wash in from upstream areas.

I know a guy that does prairie restoration work an he has been battling RC on his home place for years trying to convert it to NWSG.

Happy Thanksgiving from the Sandbox!

Beautiful! Also love the lab(looks like mine)
Seen many pheasants this year?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Also love the lab(looks like mine)
Seen many pheasants this year?

Numbers are down. We jumped two roosters and a hen in about an hour and a half.

Merry Christmas Art & family !!! ^^^ Nice Christmas arrangement.

Merry Christmas! I'm in North Branch, where are you in central Minnesota?

Merry Christmas! I'm in North Branch, where are you in central Minnesota?

Check PM

Last night I donned a heater body suit and my Stormy Kromer for the last hunt of the season.
54df251d54ad975ee4f2f0c08ed9a14d.jpg

Saw three fawns and it was nice to get out.
e130aa1dc5e4f78a9f4badbe10efe191.jpg