The Sandbox

We like Kerr here too. Real tasty in October, if you're of a mind to eat some.

Any sources for Kerr crabapple trees/seedlings? I looked, even at Cummins, unable to locate.

We like Kerr here too. Real tasty in October, if you're of a mind to eat some.

Any sources for Kerr crabapple trees/seedlings? I looked, even at Cummins, unable to locate.
SLN had some earlier, I would try them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spud - I looked for Kerr at a bunch of places. SLN and Walden Heights Nursery HAD them, but are sold out now. I couldn't find Kerr anywhere - it's late to order for this year. Many places don't even carry Kerr. I'd start with SLN for Kerr in September of 2018 for spring 2019 planting.

Spud - I looked for Kerr at a bunch of places. SLN and Walden Heights Nursery HAD them, but are sold out now. I couldn't find Kerr anywhere - it's late to order for this year. Many places don't even carry Kerr. I'd start with SLN for Kerr in September of 2018 for spring 2019 planting.

Yeah, I found the same thing. They have been SLN, Cummins, etc. have been sold for over a month. I did find 10 Kerr crabs at a nursery and they will be available to plant this spring in addition to the 10 Chestnut crabs.

Yeah, I found the same thing. They have been SLN, Cummins, etc. have been sold for over a month. I did find 10 Kerr crabs at a nursery and they will be available to plant this spring in addition to the 10 Chestnut crabs.

Two winners there. Add a Norland or maybe a Whitney for earlier apples and you might have months of deer feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two winners there. Add a Norland or maybe a Whitney for earlier apples and you might have months of deer feed.

Agree, but will have to wait until next year. Have 1200 conifer, 150 tree/shrubs, & 1500 MG to plant plus get all food plots in so will be very busy spring. :emoji_cold_sweat:

With the new snowfall, I took a walk. Eighteen pheasants came out of this cedar windrow. There is some decent corn on the far end.
f04b8a24e7a6372c8204749c189cd044.jpg

I will bet that I could walk the nearby 600 acre state wildlife management area and have a hard time finding eighteen pheasants. There is no foodplot there and the cedars have been cut and burned.

Thirty years ago, the area wildlife manager, now retired , told me that rows of conifers were important for pheasant survival on the edge of the pheasant range. He also said adjacent standing corn was great for Deer and pheasants.

Current Mn. Philosophy is to manage as the land was before the white man arrived. That means grasslands that blow shut with heavy snowfall where there are no windbreaks. That also means no gmo crops and basically no foodplots. Manage for bees and butterflies(pollinators). That’s our hunters dollars at work.

I don't typically rag on the dnr but the pheasant people and I wouldn't get along. Those tree thickets are pheasant magnets and great winter cover. Although I think that line of thinking that all trees are bad in the prairie, comes more from the federal level. The other thing is I think that they should shorten the season back up, ever since they extended the season it has steadily gone downhill. Coinsidence maybe but it cant hurt.

I will bet that I could walk the nearby 600 acre state wildlife management area and have a hard time finding eighteen pheasants. There is no foodplot there and the cedars have been cut and burned.

Thirty years ago, the area wildlife manager, now retired , told me that rows of conifers were important for pheasant survival on the edge of the pheasant range. He also said adjacent standing corn was great for Deer and pheasants.

Current Mn. Philosophy is to manage as the land was before the white man arrived. That means grasslands that blow shut with heavy snowfall where there are no windbreaks. That also means no gmo crops and basically no foodplots. Manage for bees and butterflies(pollinators). That’s our hunters dollars at work.

That the failure of the ethanol movement. It is supposed to be a cleaner fuel, which it was not. Actually costs more energy to produce. And with the boom in corn prices, all of the fence/hedge rows, grass/shrub edges, etc. have been removed for more "crop" land destroying valuable habitat.

I am also planting clump conifer stands along with shrub rows to try and rebuild this habitat.

As Sandbur made his points about wide open prairie, it got me thinking about the "Dust Bowl" days years ago. One of the cures for that disaster was to plant tree rows to block the wind from being so abrasive / erosive on the soil. I don't see where planting some trees in rows or clusters would be a bad thing. They make good windbreaks AND cover for deer, pheasants, grouse, and other critters.

Around Pa., I see some landowners are cutting trees from the banks of some of the streams. Selling them for $$$ ?? I can only wonder about the volume of griping when high water wipes out the stream banks, surrounding farm fields & crops. What are people thinking ?? Trees anchor the stream banks and mitigate flood damage. Head shaker.

Trees are good in most places. I bet Bur's pheasants think they're comfy.

Last edited:
As Sandbur made his points about wide open prairie, it got me thinking about the "Dust Bowl" days years ago. One of the cures for that disaster was to plant tree rows to block the wind from being so abrasive / erosive on the soil. I don't see where planting some trees in rows or clusters would be a bad thing. They make good windbreaks AND cover for deer, pheasants, grouse, and other critters.

Around Pa., I see some landowners are cutting trees from the banks of some of the streams. Selling them for $$$ ?? I can only wonder about the volume of griping when high water wipes out the stream banks, surrounding farm fields & crops. What are people thinking ?? Trees anchor the stream banks and mitigate flood damage. Head shaker.

Trees are good in most places. I bet Bur's pheasants think they're comfy.

I don’t think our state wants Deer in the prairies. Some probably also view pheasants as invasive.

One friend said he was talking to a state wildlife manager ( now retired) and he said the easiest Deer numbers to manage was ‘no deer’.

Shelter belts save pheasants. I cannot believe the DNRwill not accept the importance in MN.

Bur - Zero deer ?? That's a horrible thing to say by a wildlife manager. I'm glad some of you Minn. guys are taking care of the deer there. AND the pheasants.

Bur - Zero deer ?? That's a horrible thing to say by a wildlife manager. I'm glad some of you Minn. guys are taking care of the deer there. AND the pheasants.

The rest of the story is our current local manager used to work under this guy.

Shelter belts save pheasants. I cannot believe the DNRwill not accept the importance in MN.

They only want trees where they existed pre white man.

My buck was aged at 5.5. He weighed 190 pounds.

9773a83adb6f8afc5ba811aa1b6468da.jpg

Evidently the Texas lab and Montana lab for aging are now the same.

Congrats Art !

That's a great buck. Not many make it to 5.5 in Minnesota.

We sent in teeth from eleven bucks and eight were 5.5 or 6.5. From three different counties in central and NW Mn.