The Sandbox

Wow! Nice place.

I have some but this reinforces the fact that my sidewalks need work.

Your place looks great!

I have some but this reinforces the fact that my sidewalks need work.

Your place looks great!

I carried the chain saw today and took out some tag alders that were falling over the sidewalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carried the chain saw today and took out some tag alders that were falling over the sidewalk.

Sandbur pics of your place!

What are the crabs you are growing that have that much fruit holding this late?

I have tried my hand at crabs and have never seen fruit that large.

What percent of seedling crabs turn into winners? What happens to the losers? Do you graft them to something else?

Cool pics. Looks like some great shed hunting turf.

Edit man I gotta spend more time reading thru this thread. Just spent an hour looking at apple pictures here.

Last edited:
What percent of seedling crabs turn into winners? What happens to the losers? Do you graft them to something else?

I take seeds from wild crabs that are at least one inch in diameter and did use a grafted dolgo for a seed source one year. I would say about 25 or 30 per cent end up as Deer sized crabs.

I just took this picture today. This is a very healthy seedling that has fruit just a bit smaller than what I like. Should I graft it to something else or leave as is?

Don’t let Maya see how badly this needs pruning!
45688d0c58a9e434fe0567b116704d08.jpg

I take seeds from wild crabs that are at least one inch in diameter and did use a grafted dolgo for a seed source one year. I would say about 25 or 30 per cent end up as Deer sized crabs.

I just took this picture today. This is a very healthy seedling that has fruit just a bit smaller than what I like. Should I graft it to something else or leave as is?

Don’t let Maya see how badly this needs pruning!
45688d0c58a9e434fe0567b116704d08.jpg

I had a picture of the apple size here, but it won’t load. Apples are about 3/4 inch or so.

I have topworked some of these to Columbia or other desirable seedlings/ wildlings. How is that for a new word?
2b9ba0ad81a88829f12fe49658269510.jpg

This will probably get pruned in the next week or so. Don’t tell Maya how it looks!

Kerr crab is a winner for late hanging fruit. I picked all of the fruit I could reach and left the rest for a test. Still holding.
8951651154e2d2056e79d6d3d83ebcbd.jpg

I have about seven or eight seedlings that are still holding fruit over about one inch. I took this picture of same tree I think I posted a week or two ago.
7245b0adadb62aee8d41edb4f2b4b88e.jpg

I found two places with white spruce regeneration while I was thinning some spruce rows today. Deer beds were in some of the younger spruce stands, so I need to move some of these seedlings to new areas in the spring!
dedfc3d258d8df20010cbdf55a0fe8e5.jpg
af7b1ca63b9477459406ca41292584f4.jpg

These tag alder clumps in the reed canary are where I want to plant some of the spruce seedlings. The tags will need to be cut back once or twice over the years.
82baa33be841d1e9fcef9becf897721f.jpg
58c2c4ac81ccfc9b97da1a712f971984.jpg

Maybe, I posted this before.., what I recommend for Deer crabs in my climate from early to late.
(Norland)
Whitney
Grafted Dolgo ( about Labor Day drop)
Chestnut Crab
Columbia Crab
Kerr Crab
(Morse Bunches)

My Norland has not had apples yet, but I am going on word from an experienced apple grower who says it is very early and very hardy. They taste great also.

Morse bunches are bushy type seedlings and not entirely hardy. They are not consistent in apple size and many are just bird crabs in my view. Still, deer are working two of them at present. They are small, maybe up to 3/4 inch at best before shrinking in the winter.

Look for the terms edible crabs, lunch box crabs, or apple crabs to find the larger crabs.

I am in love with the Kerr. Mine were still holding Thanksgiving. I have not been back since. I have tried to order more the last two years only to have orders cancelled. I am going to try grafting off the four I have growing. They are going on their 4th leaf and two of them had apples last year. That alone makes them my favorite tree.

Those pictures of the trails, beds and tracks tell the story, Sandbur. I noticed you plant some of the spruce in lines. We do too, and the deer use those spruce lines just like a map - I believe because of the shadowy cover they provide. I took / followed your example of planting spruce in varying years to keep a succession of different heights coming along. Our deer bed in the spruce too, usually picking spots where the sun peeks in and warms the ground / melts any snow. From the pictures, it looks as though you might have some of the best heavy cover around. Background areas look wide open. Those spruce pockets look great.

Do deer use the tags in any way - browse, or cover ??

Strings of spruce, even broken strings make travel lanes after leaf fall.

I now have irrigation rigs on three sides of me and open ground on most of the forth side. A neighbor does have about 15 acres of cover that joins my cover.

Deer use the tags in dry years or after freeze up but they like diversity. Look for high spots in the tags or open pockets. They don’t feed much on the tags, but will use the red osier that is mixed in. I have clear cut a few patches of tags and will get some pictures.

I snapped this picture last night of the open section that borders my land. Nice to see some deer even if they are all fawns.
c9de0a4190a0b320a5d6c75f38ba2bc4.jpg

I snapped this picture last night of the open section that borders my land. Nice to see some deer even if they are all fawns.
c9de0a4190a0b320a5d6c75f38ba2bc4.jpg

Future generation always good to see ...

They grabbed some apples and then headed for the corn foodplot.
76810a596e0bb72549c6a09bc4397bee.jpg
e049fcfbec6cbc2d91c64e781fa7ed1c.jpg

They certainly don't look hungry!

They certainly don't look hungry!

It has been an easy winter, but it sounds like the heaviest snowfall of the season will hit Saturday night.