The same handload for two rifles

Can a guy get into a decent starter press with dies and all attachments for under a grand? Any suggestions on which ones to look at?
Absolutely! I'd look at the RCBS Partner Press kit with powder measure and maybe buy a separate (hand held) priming tool from ------X. You don't need to spend over $400 for this stuff. Try to stay with one brand of gear whenever possible.....but there are exceptions. I generally like RCBS as their stuff works and its affordable.

Then, buy some bullets, primers and powder.....perhaps another $150 to get you well underway.

IN any event....buy the Hornady Manual. READ it.

You could come over to my "reloading room" for a few hours.....and depending on your caliber.....we could load you some rounds from you brass. It would give you the basics.......

Absolutely! I'd look at the RCBS Partner Press kit with powder measure and maybe buy a separate (hand held) priming tool from ------X. You don't need to spend over $400 for this stuff. Try to stay with one brand of gear whenever possible.....but there are exceptions. I generally like RCBS as their stuff works and its affordable.

Then, buy some bullets, primers and powder.....perhaps another $150 to get you well underway.

IN any event....buy the Hornady Manual. READ it.

You could come over to my "reloading room" for a few hours.....and depending on your caliber.....we could load you some rounds from you brass. It would give you the basics.......

I need to do some checking on the RCBS machines on if they can change from pistol calibers to rifle calibers fairly easy. Or if it would be better to run with 2 machines if they are that affordable. Once I get more read up on the sport I may stop over Tom.

You are set up in Arizona in the winter for reloading right? ;) I think that would be great time to stop by!

I bought A Texan single stage press and 308 dies with shell holder in 1967 . I am still using it today. have 22 Hornet , 22.250, 243, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 45-70 , 38 spc. and 357 mag dies.

There are lot's of older guy's selling there reloading equipment. Check Craigs list.

I
I need to do some checking on the RCBS machines on if they can change from pistol calibers to rifle calibers fairly easy. Or if it would be better to run with 2 machines if they are that affordable. Once I get more read up on the sport I may stop over Tom.

You are set up in Arizona in the winter for reloading right? ;) I think that would be great time to stop by!
I do have some stuff in AZ....but I am not set up to reload. I really have not had time to shoot there either. Seems Golf has been my go-to activity there so far.

I have reloaded pistol on a single station press.....but today I do have a Hornady LnL progressive press. A progressive press is NOT the way to learn how to reload - either rille or pistol IMO. I tend to leave my Hornady set up for the pistol rounds (just 9mm and 38 / 357 rounds) and do all my rifle loads on the single state press. I have three or four SS presses. I tend to use either a Redding press or the RCBS Partner press.

FWIW.....LOTS of folks at the Super Shoot will have a Partner press to do the work there. They are small, but of excellent quality and will do all the work that needs doing for most people. A press is not a super important item....so long as its a popular brand.

......ooops. I do load some 223 on the progressive press when I feel the need for quantity. I seldom load more than 50 rounds of hunting ammo at a time. Sometimes I'll prep the brass....and just wait to know what kinda bullets / loads I may need for a certain hunt.

Seems I have accumulated enough primes, brass, powder and most bullet needs to last many years. Maybe for the "duration". ;)

Last edited: