The same handload for two rifles

^ Wow. Flashback to an antelope hunt in Wyoming. Walt Berger, ad guy from Remington, John Burns (from Best of the West), Myself, and Mike Peterson doing some filming.

So....we were all standing around after gathering up....and talking about our hunt in the middle of nowhere in particular.....and all of a sudden this big buck antelope scoots behind a small hill in the distance. To a man....we are all excited about this goat.

We joke about it and tell Walt to get set up and take a shot when the buck comes out. I think he was the only one without filling a tag at the time. He lays down in the prairie, and gets a rolled up coat for a gun rest for about a 600 yard shot. Wait....wait.....and then out strolls a buck. We all agree that this buck is the real deal as we had glassed it before it slipped behind the hill...although Walt held off shooting for some time....before we all convince him to SHOOT.

Boom. Walt drills this antelope....dead in its tracks. We gather up and wander over to inspect this "trophy" buck......just as a BIG buck antelope runs from behind the same hill. Walt killed a buck antelope....but it scored half what we expected to see. Great shot....wrong critter. ;) Hell of a shot tho....and I was there. :)

RIP Walt. You made a good shot my friend. :)

Last edited:
168 Amax, 44.4 grain varget, 2.82col, hornady brass, bench rest 2 primers

This is my go to 308 load. Have yet to see a 308 rifle that didn't like it. I have run this in 1/10, 1/11 an 1/12 twist bores. Did well in all of them.

^ Quite a bit of debate about using Amax bullets on game. it's not what they were designed for. Heres what Hornady says:
Quoted directly from Hornady's web site "A-MAX� NOW featuring AMP� bullet jackets!

Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...
�Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
�Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting."

So....with all the other good hunting bullet choices out there.....why use Amaz?

^^^
Foggy I think this is more of a concern with smaller cal cartridges like 223, 243 etc... I prefer all copper or aframe style bullets for hunting whitetails with those rounds. With .308 an 155+ grains @ 2650fps I am more than confident I can kill any whitetail on the planet. Even with thin jacketed match bullets. They use amaxs in hornady TAP ammo specifically designed for snipers to kill humans in their tracks. Burger LVD's are mass marketed as an explosive match grade hunting round that puts all its energy into the animal. More or less a thin jacketed match bullet similiar to the amax.

I started running AMAX's when working up loads for long range recreational shooting 700+ yards. Of many different match brand projectiles I had best results with them in a couple different rifles. Due to the trigger time I grew very confident with them an decided to try them on deer
I have since killed multiple deer an yotes with them. All passed through often times leaving a golf ball or larger size exit hole. I have loaded amax rounds for buddies in 308, 30-06 an 300wsm all of which have proven to perform very well on whitetails. The 30-06 amax loads were for my dad. I loaded them just shy of book max. He called me an said "WTH did you put in these loads, They left a baseball sized exit hole" :)
As you can see I like them but will admit they can tear up shoulder meat so recommend shot placement to be right through the ribs
NH made a post about developing a load that would perform well in a couple 308 rifles an I bet my load would do that for him. One thing I have noticed about the 308win is that it likes hot loads and honstly it's not picky compared to other cals I have played with.
Another powder I'm playing with is
AR comp. It meters better than varget an they say it is even more temp stable which I'm excited about! I have steered away from powders like reloader 15 because of the variation in hot an cold temps
Would love to shoot with all you guys some day! Maybe we can all meet up in Hatfeild Mo ;) :rolleyes:

^^^
Foggy I think this is more of a concern with smaller cal cartridges like 223, 243 etc... I prefer all copper or aframe style bullets for hunting whitetails with those rounds. With .308 an 155+ grains @ 2650fps I am more than confident I can kill any whitetail on the planet. Even with thin jacketed match bullets. They use amaxs in hornady TAP ammo specifically designed for snipers to kill humans in their tracks. Burger LVD's are mass marketed as an explosive match grade hunting round that puts all its energy into the animal. More or less a thin jacketed match bullet similiar to the amax.

I started running AMAX's when working up loads for long range recreational shooting 700+ yards. Of many different match brand projectiles I had best results with them in a couple different rifles. Due to the trigger time I grew very confident with them an decided to try them on deer
I have since killed multiple deer an yotes with them. All passed through often times leaving a golf ball or larger size exit hole. I have loaded amax rounds for buddies in 308, 30-06 an 300wsm all of which have proven to perform very well on whitetails. The 30-06 amax loads were for my dad. I loaded them just shy of book max. He called me an said "WTH did you put in these loads, They left a baseball sized exit hole" :)
As you can see I like them but will admit they can tear up shoulder meat so recommend shot placement to be right through the ribs
NH made a post about developing a load that would perform well in a couple 308 rifles an I bet my load would do that for him. One thing I have noticed about the 308win is that it likes hot loads and honstly it's not picky compared to other cals I have played with.
Another powder I'm playing with is
AR comp. It meters better than varget an they say it is even more temp stable which I'm excited about! I have steered away from powders like reloader 15 because of the variation in hot an cold temps
Would love to shoot with all you guys some day! Maybe we can all meet up in Hatfeild Mo ;) :rolleyes:

Jordan, I experienced the same as you with hot loads giving good accuracy. I chronographed my 150 Hornady SST load at 2800 fps on the Icon with a 24 inch barrel. I'm going to hunt with that gun this year. My 200 yard groups were a little over 1.25 inches, and that rifle comes from the factory with a free floated barrel and an a properly bedded action. I know that some heavier 308s (and better shooters than me) can shoot tighter than that, but for a feather light rifle, I'm happy with those results.

PS: Thanks for the load info. I may try that someday just for fun.

Here is my newest toy that I may gun hunt with this year. Ruger American ranch rifle in 300 blackout topped with a Burris 2-7. Just got my fed tax stamp for my supressor last week. Went with a YHM 7.62 phantom QD. This thing is VERY quiet with 208 grain amax's at 980fps. I had read some mixed reviews on the accuracy of the 300BO bit this far I am impressed. The supersonic hunting bullet everyone seems to be running is 110 grain barnes Tsx
image.jpg

Here is my newest toy that I may gun hunt with this year. Ruger American ranch rifle in 300 blackout topped with a Burris 2-7. Just got my fed tax stamp for my supressor last week. Went with a YHM 7.62 phantom QD. This thing is VERY quiet with 208 grain amax's at 980fps. I had read some mixed reviews on the accuracy of the 300BO bit this far I am impressed. The supersonic hunting bullet everyone seems to be running is 110 grain barnes Tsx
View attachment 7300
Nice! I'm working on getting an sas arbiter for an all around can to use from my long range rig down to my ar's. I've heard a lot of good about the blackout but haven't shot one yet.

^ I've stuggled to understand the allure of these BO cartridges. But, then I am old school. Just seems to me that the energy with this round is nothing to write home about. You may as well shoot 'em with a 45 ACP. No? I suppose it's the "stealth" thing with suppressors and all. o_O:rolleyes::eek:

Heres some discussion on this cartridge.http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/05/22/300-aac-blackout/

Why not just buy a 30-30? Good luck if you hunt with it at any range......I think your gonna need it. ;)

I think the biggest allure for it is that you can shoot a 30 cal bullet in an ar platform. All you need to do is get a blackout upper and then install it on a ar lower and you're good to go. Same mags to boot if I remember right.

Where do some of you guys get all your info and experience on reloading rifle and or pistol bullets? It sounds like something I may want to do when retired.

Where do some of you guys get all your info and experience on reloading rifle and or pistol bullets? It sounds like something I may want to do when retired.

Forums an tinkering:)

I hear stuff on the street corner, common here-say....and in bars.....and then I submit it as "gospel". ;)

Actually, I started reading some books many years ago when I had a traveling job. I needed something to do when I was on the road.....so I started to trade a few guns and read everything I could.....starting with the likes of Warren Page. Today the forums can provide so much info....just like you learn about food plotting and seeds, I suppose.

I was lucky enough to have a friends dad who helped me out when I got started. That and perusing the Internet helped some as well.

The best place to start is to buy one of the manuals put out by a major bullet Manufacturer such as Nosler, Hornady, etc....

The beginning of the book goes through all of the basics on everything that you need to know such as resizing cases, trimming cases, seating new primers and everything like that.

The middle of the book will have their load data for each of their bullets in all calibers. It will give you the starting load in grains of powder and the maximum load that you shouldn't surpass. You will also see the velocity they got out of their test gun, which you may or may not duplicate. You can buy a cheap chronograph and see the exact velocity you are getting in your gun once you start firing the loads. You start at the starting load and work your way up toward maximum. You try different bullets and powders, and when you find something that suits your fancy, you are finished and ready to load a bunch of shells to use.

The end of most books generally has bullet drop tables. You look at you velocity with your bullet and see how much drop (and energy) you have at various ranges. For instance, for a typical 308 like mine with a aerodynamic 150 grain bullet, if I zero it at 200 yards I will be about 8 inches low at 300 yards. You will see all of that with the slight variations in velocity. It's all right there in the tables and easy to read.

It's addictive so I will warn you about that too. Also, I have left out a bunch of the details about tinkering with bullet seating depth, changing primers, etc. but all of that info is in the good manuals.

I would not doubt that it will be addictive. But how about the cost for a reloader that can do different calibers without a lot or difficult changes?

^ The Hornady Manual is the "gold standard" on reloading IMO. You don't need the second volume at first....which is the ballistic tables......you just need the first part. Also, the Lyman paperback manual on reloading is pretty good.....as I am sure the others would be. (stick to Hornady ;) )

Read the front of the manual on reloading.....then read it again.....and again. There are perhaps 100 pages of info that when understood.....will steer you down the right paths. It really helps to have a "mentor" for reloading. That is something I really never had. But you can learn it all by reading and now, with forums.....the world is your oyster.

If you want to reload for hunting rifles....buy a SINGLE STAGE press kit. The best kit (IMO) is the RCBS Partner kit with a scale and a powder measure. I like RCBS tools....and the Partner is good for beginning reloaders - without breaking the bank.

If money is no object....then I would rather own the stuff made by Redding. Top shelf. ;) I own a few different brands. :D That happens when you get "into" this stuff. Always something new. I bet I have six or eight primer seating tools. o_O .....and about 4 neck turning tools. It's addicting. :eek:

Last edited:
Foggy you can't dog the Good OL American 30-30! Come on man! That's a great deer killN brush gun!;)
I felt the same way about the BO but go shoot one then tell me you have no interested in one! We shoot them at gathering right off our decks having lil shooting tournaments. Even the wives get in on it! Also great for introducing kids into shooting. They are fun! Mine put a 220 grain bullet through 4.5 milk jugs. i could see this as a great tool for doe managment On a place high DPSM numbers. Guy could drop a bunch of deer or even coyotes without alarming every deer in the county! It's cheap an fun to reload for since 5.56 brass can be cut an sized for the 7.62 bullet. 5.56 brass can be bought for $110 per 1000. Midway runs sales on blemished 7.62 bullets all the time

Shoot one! But be careful you will buy one!

I would not doubt that it will be addictive. But how about the cost for a reloader that can do different calibers without a lot or difficult changes?

That part is simple. You buy one press that you use for all calibers. For each caliber you buy a set of dies, and just screw the dies in the press for the caliber you are working on.

I've never seen a rifle that you couldn't improve the accuracy on with handloads.

Shown below is the most dramatic one I have ever worked with. This gun wouldn't shoot 5 shots into much less than 2.5 inches at 100 with any factory load I tried. Below is what I got out of it with handloading:

Can a guy get into a decent starter press with dies and all attachments for under a grand? Any suggestions on which ones to look at?