The end of businesses in Minnesota

jsasker007

5 year old buck +
This year, the Legislature passed the most sweeping paid leave mandates on business in state history. Despite more than 80% of Minnesota members offering leave to their employees, the state now mandates all employers to grant employees sick, safe and paid time off equaling nearly 40% of a work year.

Paid Family and Medical Leave (PMFL): The new, historic paid leave mandate forces employers to offer 12 weeks paid medical leave and 12 weeks of paid family leave (maxing out at 20 weeks total in a 52-week period). The program will be administered by a new state agency with over 400 full-time employees. It will be paid for through surplus funds and a considerable increase in payroll taxes, which can be split between employers and employees. The state will work with employees to determine length and justification for leave and agency officials will oversee compliance and penalties. This will take effect January 1, 2026.

Note: The Minnesota Chamber and its partners worked tirelessly to scale back this legislation. Although the final legislation will impact businesses greatly - some to the point of devastation - the legislation as originally proposed went much further. The Chamber was successful in scaling back the number of weeks; originally proposed at 24, an exemption for seasonal hospitality workers, a refined definition of family member and an actuarial study. The effective date of this bill was also pushed to 2026.

new
MINNESOTA PAID LEAVE PROGRAM WILL REQUIRE HIGHER TAXES THAN ORIGINALLY THOUGHT, ACTUARY SAYS​

Minnesota employers and workers will have to pay about 18% more than originally thought for a new state-run paid family and medical leave program slated to start in 2026, according to a state-commissioned actuarial analysis.

Minnesota will hopefully turn Red in 2024 for Trump and then we can slowly vote out the Communist lefties one by one.

Tough task, but I feel momentum. It’s a beautiful state, I love my community and my lake home… but I hate the politics in Minnesota. My county however, is 80% Republican/Trump.

Same thoughts. If it's something Trump can change I believe he will. If not, I know I will have to close my doors. Everyone would have to be self employed in Minnesota and that can't work. Any large business wouldn't be able to take that. WTF are they thinking?

I'm already paying $110 per hour in taxes all day every day. The article states that it will cost 18% MORE than they first thought. Didn't see what the original guess was, but they low-balled it by 18%. 400 state employees will be working on this. Never underestimate the governments ability to #@!% things up!

Capital gains: Governor Walz proposed increasing the capital gains tax from 11.35% to 13.85% this legislative session. The Chamber and its partners were successful in blocking this 40% tax hike that would have undermined entrepreneurship and investment, and provided another strong financial incentive for high-wealth individuals to leave the state. This increase would have made Minnesota an extreme outlier with the highest capital gains tax in the nation.

Minnesota is losing high earners like crazy . Florida, Texas, Tennessee, South Dakota, even Iowa … they move to Red states to avoid the taxes.. and the state death tax !

Just crazy, simply crazy! The level of idiocy has no bounds.

It will be paid for through surplus funds and a considerable increase in payroll taxes, which can be split between employers and employees. ... Really?

I like the land and where I'm at out in the country but I might be forced to go somewhere else. Not something I want to do. Looks like our gov. wasn't kidding when he wanted to model our state after CALIFORNIA. How insane to want what the very worst state has. LOONY!

I like the land and where I'm at out in the country but I might be forced to go somewhere else. Not something I want to do. Looks like our gov. wasn't kidding when he wanted to model our state after CALIFORNIA. How insane to want what the very worst state has. LOONY!
Grandfather moved south when he started hearing the Muslim call to prayer daily from his St. Cloud house

Florida residency ... 6 months + 1 day

How much money will workers receive when they take leave?​

Wage replacement rates—the percentage of their own income that workers receive while on leave—will be progressive. This means lower-income workers receive a higher percentage of their own income, with a sliding scale of lower percentages as workers earn more. Progressive wage replacement balances the need for lower-income workers to receive as high as possible a percentage of their own income while on leave with the need to keep program costs, which are ultimately borne at least in part by workers, affordable.

Workers will receive:

• 90 percent of the portion of their weekly wages that is less than or equal to 50 percent of the state average weekly wage, plus:
  • 66 percent of the portion of their weekly wages that is more than 50 percent of the state average weekly wage but less than or equal to 100 percent of the statewide average weekly wage, plus:
  • 55 percent of the portion of their weekly wages that is more than 100 percent of the state average weekly wage
Benefits will be capped at 100 percent of the state average weekly wage. For 2023, 50 percent of the state average would equal $643.50 per week, and 100 percent would be $1,287.00 per week.

How am I supposed to get the worker's portion of their health plan? They're gone for 20 months and I get to keep mailing in their premiums? I didn't need any more reasons to get pissed off but add this to the list of things that make zero sense to me. Gonna have to figure out if I'm still trying to stay in business and provide jobs for 20 families to live on or just throw in the towel if this doesn't get shut down. I will drink a couple of extra beers to figure this out. Almost every day something happens that just boggles the mind. Bidenomics 101 doesn't seem to be working out for too many people. Working people that is.

That shit sandwich is getting bigger by the day.

Minnesota will hopefully turn Red in 2024 for Trump and then we can slowly vote out the Communist lefties one by one.

Tough task, but I feel momentum. It’s a beautiful state, I love my community and my lake home… but I hate the politics in Minnesota. My county however, is 80% Republican/Trump.
My county is the same.

I think you guys are grossly misinformed unless something just happened. We have been mandated to do this in Minnesota since January 1, 2024.

I went with option 3 as this is how we ran things for the most part anyway.

Option 1. Accrual and carryover:
§ employees begin accruing ESST from their first day of employment;
§ ESST accrues at a rate of at least one hour for every 30 hours worked;
§ employees are permitted to accrue a minimum of up to 48 hours of ESST in a year (more if the employer agrees to a higher amount); and
§ employees can carry over unused ESST into the next year. However, at no time can an employee’s accrued ESST exceed 80 hours (unless the employer agrees to a higher amount).

Option 2. Front loading with pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 48 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ unused ESST hours are paid out at the end of the accrual year at the employee’s hourly rate.

Option 3. Front loading with no pay out and no carryover:
§ A minimum of 80 hours of ESST is provided to an employee and made available for immediate use at the start of each year; and
§ the ESST hours the employee did not use are not paid out at the end of the accrual year.

Hs something just changed? I see 2026 being mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida residency ... 6 months + 1 day
MN has tried to change that to 60 days in the past. It's still 6 months plus 1 day. If they dropped it down to >60 days, That would finish off the snow birds. They would owe MN a percentage of their gross income (even if none of it is MN source income) based on their days in MN. Good chance that would hit me as a seasonal weekender even.

Then it'd become a real game of cat and mouse for them to hunt down people dodging them. The shitty thing is, there is so much redundancy in tracking people now, there's potentially dozens of places they can acquire data that would incriminate you like:

Your car's GPS, phone gps, credit/debit card transactions, license plate scanners, utility bills, social media posts (and not only your own), airline records, hotel stays, uber records, door dash records, pizza hut online, ring doorbell records, amazon records, etc.

Are they following the same guide lines as Federal FMLA?

How bout dem twinkies?

I named a mule Kirby.