The deer are Crazy for Sawtooth oaks

White Oak

5 year old buck +
Sawtooth oak seedlings were the first trees I order by mail from the state about 15 years ago. These three trees were planted at random on a field edge...I have since had approximately an acre cleared of junk trees behind these trees to plant my crabs and pears plot . The Sawtooths typically drop from mid to late Sept to maybe the 2 nd week or so of Oct.

Attachments

• WGI_0007.JPG
    WGI_0007.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 26
  • WGI_0010.JPG
    WGI_0010.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 26
  • WGI_0025.JPG
    WGI_0025.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0026.JPG
    WGI_0026.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0028.JPG
    WGI_0028.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 26
I’ve had poor luck growing them on my place makes me a bit jealous.

Anyone know how to get acorn seedlings to survive a hayfield?

I don’t recall where I read this but “My favorite Oak is one that will grow on my site” Planting trees that will grow on your site is very important key to success. I tried

In the red oak group
Nuttall oak
NRO
Blackjack oak
Black oak
Scarlet Oak
Pin Oak
Shumard
Sawtooth oak

In the white oak group
Bur oak
Chinqupin oak
Dwarf Chinqupin oak
English oak
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Burgamble hybrid oak
Bur English hybrid oak

I have on order 50 Concordia oak to try out on my site next year.

Of those I have a good idea now what prospers on my site and what doesn't they all prefer to be field grown because oak’s love sunlight.

On my large plantings in old cattle pasture/hay fields I glysophate around where each tree will be planted in the fall then come spring when my seedlings arrive I dibble bar plant them tube with 60” tree tubes and weed mat them. I have used mycorrhizal root dip maybe it helps idk.

I agree the sawtooth is a really good tree,that being said mine didn't produce this year.Guessing the drought. I also planted mine from Kansas forestry seedlings. i did a test planting for the state and used tubes,I don't know how an oak can grow without them.A couple years ago the state quit selling them because they weren't native but have since started back up.As far as growing them I used 48 inch tree pro tubes and leave in tubes until they almost fill tube then cut tube off and cage.I run around 75% survival on oaks

I will say I had some that were planted in an old crop field and they barely stayed alive but didn't grow.Someone mentioned on the old QDMA site that it could be hard pan. So I used my small auger and drilled beside them and they took off. I wonder if you are in some hard pan

My experience is similar to White Oaks. I planted 4 in an old overgrown pasture behind my house when I bought it in 2002. I have about 12 now, plus i started 6 out at my hunting property last year. Mine produce every year and start late September and drop well into October on average. The deer absolutely hammer them.
As far as field planting goes, I keep the weeds at bay and use tubes. They seem to do very well.

Thanks! (to expand: I have an old hayfield that I want to make into woods. I have collected a bunch of acorns that will sprout in the spring and wondering the best way to plant them so when the hayfield grows in the spring and summer, how do I get the seedlings to grow when they are smothered by the grasses/weeds.)

b116757 answered it, spray to kill the grasses this fall where I want to plant and then plant with a dribble bar.

Anyone know how to get acorn seedlings to survive a hayfield?
15 years ago I wasn't aware of tree tubes, I planted my Sawtooth oak seedlings in the yard and edge of a hayfield with three 5 foot wood stakes or t posts and chicken wire wrapped around to keep the deer off them, I zip tied a piece of chicken wire over the top also so they couldn't put their head in. . You'd probably get faster results and avoid rodent damage using tree tubes. All my Sawtooths grew using that method with no damage ....This year I planted 6 Nutall oak seedlings , 4 in tubes , 2 with chicken wire.... one of the seedlings with chicken wire got gnawed on by a rodent

4 of the 6 sawtooth I planted in my field last year are out of the 5 foot tubes this year. The other 2 are close.

I was checking out my sawtooth trees on Sunday. Pretty happy to see most of the nuts are still green and haven't dropped yet. Lots of deer activity under them and my English trees.

Thanks! (to expand: I have an old hayfield that I want to make into woods. I have collected a bunch of acorns that will sprout in the spring and wondering the best way to plant them so when the hayfield grows in the spring and summer, how do I get the seedlings to grow when they are smothered by the grasses/weeds.)

b116757 answered it, spray to kill the grasses this fall where I want to plant and then plant with a dribble bar.

Agreed that is a good practice. I'd assume a weed mat and mulch is even more helpful to keep the competition away than just killing it prior to planting.

Can you push sawtooth oaks to zone 4, or will they just not work out that far north?

I'm in zone 4a and had a sawtooth survive this last winter. Just planted last spring. Now, the jury is out because we had a ton of snow and don't know if that helped insulate it fron the extreme cold.
I added two more this fall as an experiment to see if they can make it here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have Sawtooths over 30 feet tall now, and they are great whitetail trees. Mine drop at the same time as White Oaks. Sawtooth acorns are highly desired by deer, but in years with good white oak production, the deer will eat the White Oak acorns first. My favorite oak has become Swamp Chestnut. They are very reliable producers, and they don't start dropping until mid November. That's about when Sawtooths and Whites will be finished. Swamp Chestnut acorns are also low in tannins like White Oaks and generally a little bigger in size.

Those in the south need to be careful with tree tubes - fireants think you put them there for their benefit. I have had quite a few young trees killed by ants in tree tubes. I dont know just how much much fireant poison young trees can take.

Those in the south need to be careful with tree tubes - fireants think you put them there for their benefit. I have had quite a few young trees killed by ants in tree tubes. I dont know just how much much fireant poison young trees can take.
Likely no effect on the trees