The Big 9

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
this guy is really giving me a confidence boost for this season...now if only i can get the time to hunt when the weather actually cooperates! he showed up at the two different mock scrape set ups on the same plot on the same day. one scrape in the AM and the other scrape in the PM...both in day light.

so lets have the good old fashioned discussion on age. What does everyone think?

MFDC0080.JPGMFDC0081.JPG

PICT0050.JPGPICT0052.JPG PICT0054.JPG

He's a beauty. No less than 4.5 and possibly 5.5.

comp_side_by_side.jpg comp_side_by_side2.jpg so as i was looking at the first set of pics i got of this guy back on October 10th, something seemed familiar to me about his rack. I spend a good chunk of time going back to previous years trail cam pics yesterday and i think i may have pics of this guy last year. If so...he made a decent jump.

Last year i had this one buck that i got pics of...under cover of darkness...from late october through the end of november. I never saw him while hunting either.

the buck from last year perplexed me because he was a tank of a deer...very large body...honestly i thought there was a chance he could have been a 3 yr old...but with very sub par antler development. We did have 2 very harsh winters previously....but other bucks all seemed to have produced age appropriate head gear after those two winters.

So here is a look at the buck from last year as compared to this year. Curious what others think.

there are some striking similarities in the antler configurations of both bucks from year to year. that hook in the ends of the left main beams, and the weaker right side that sits lower than the left kinda making him look lopsided, and the shorter brows.
comp_side_by_side.jpg comp_side_by_side.jpg comp_side_by_side2.jpg

not sure what happened with all the pics getting doubled up...lol.

I'm in the 4.5 + camp also.

Honestly, never though PA would have deer like that in my lifetime.

I'm in the 4.5 + camp also.

Honestly, never though PA would have deer like that in my lifetime.

Dude...lots of good bucks around last 15 yrs or so. Been really happy to get to watch it all happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice target buck Phil! Good luck with him

4.5 good luck with him. He is a great deer

id say 3.5 not knowing - but 4.5 is likely - a nice buck and a target either way - Nice day time pics Phil - Good luck with him!!

Just got back from 8 days away working on a project. My first glance at the pix at post #1, my thought was 4.5 yrs. That was before I scrolled down and saw what others were saying. I think 4.5 is on target when looking at the tally of everyone's thoughts. He's a good one Phil - go get him !!! Best of luck.

Well hopefully this deer has a calendar and is aware that today he is due for his weekly appearance in day light! I can wish can't I? Sat there this AM and dint see a deer. Pulled the cards and after further review this plot is a late afternoon, early evening affair over the last couple of days. Had some morning movement, but not even close to the evenings. Yesterday evening I got a pic with 8 deer in the frame. That kind of doe traffic can't go unnoticed by the bucks for too much longer now with out them having to investigate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies in town = BOYS !! ;)

I agree he's a 4.5 yr old deer, but I don't know if the two deer in the pic's are the same
crab claw like deals can be very common and won't be a deal maker to call the same to me, and thats a HUGE jump in one yr of antler and body size based on them pic's

but any way you slice it, its a great PA buck right there, best of luck getting him

He is big!