Tag Alder Eradication

Snowshoe Acres

A good 3 year old buck
I have a big challenge with clearing tag alder. They grow in clumps of 5-6, sometimes getting as large as 4-5 inches, making them too big for the brush cutter and too numerous for a chain saw, mostly because of clean up. I am considering an experiment with round up. Since they spread by the roots I am going to try drilling a hole in the largest branch (downward), then injecting concentrated roundup into the hole. My theory is it should kill the entire clump, roots included. Then when I cut it down, or push it over with the FEL, it will not grow back. Any thoughts or experience with this? Anybody have a better method? I have a LOT of tag alder!

Basal spraying with herbicide and diesel?

Tag is the dominant tree on my property. It is the biggest target I have when I’m out with the saw. I wouldn’t kill them though. They can be useful if you look at it from a different perspective.

First, I cut every one where I’m working. None are spared. The reason I use the saw is to put them on the ground and use them as clutter to protect dogwood and other desirables I’m releasing.

98f99d79e7d34d0a101a1fb1e1a342f4.jpg

Two, a pile of them makes great ground cover for a season.

46132941f3c3703e64f6e787081fdbfb.jpg

Three, they sucker exceptionally well, making a great and fast addition to stem count and ground cover.

56b741a0bf41c5cb7687e13e1cb9abf0.jpg

Four, when those suckers outgrow their usefulness, they are zapped with one pull of the silky. Very easy to clean them up and either start them over, or they’ll die. Either way, win win.

Five, no matter how big, they are dust after about 4 years. No cleanup necessary. This spot was solid tag in 2016. This is what it looked like 3 years later. Tags gone, brush rotted away gone, and it’s packed with browse and other good trees and shrubs.

ab9f6f8dfb8ee82babb2e358f0493d44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know how well your drill hole will work. Probably best to cut or girdle and spray or brush the cambium layer.

I have a big challenge with clearing tag alder. They grow in clumps of 5-6, sometimes getting as large as 4-5 inches, making them too big for the brush cutter and too numerous for a chain saw, mostly because of clean up. I am considering an experiment with round up. Since they spread by the roots I am going to try drilling a hole in the largest branch (downward), then injecting concentrated roundup into the hole. My theory is it should kill the entire clump, roots included. Then when I cut it down, or push it over with the FEL, it will not grow back. Any thoughts or experience with this? Anybody have a better method? I have a LOT of tag alder!

Only the outer very thin cambrium layer of the tree will transport herbicide. You may only kill a section of the tag by drilling.

Better approach would be basal treatment. I use a cleaned out soap detergent bottle with 1 part Garlon4 (triclopyr) with 3 parts diesel. Then squirt on stems at the root cluster. The diesel acts as a penetrant.