All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch. 3rd years the charm.

Bill

Administrator
The summer after frost seeding I though it was a failure. Last year looked better.

This year it's almost to thick.

1CB299BB-016A-4B6B-AE5D-3F7A500418B4.jpg

25ish acres here and I jumped a decent 2.5 YO up when I drove in. Gotta stop doing that!
FC050715-348A-4D1C-914D-13E93C3CEAE0.jpg

Beautiful. I wonder how much 1st year switch gets unnecessarily plowed up? I know at least one. We tried to convince him but he wouldn't listen!

Nice looking switch field, I felt the same with mine after year one.

i feel the same way, it is awesome having a bedding area which used to be a nocturnal deer only zone. Yup, since the deer changed their mentality to the grass, u gotta.
How far was it popped up? Once they get used to u burning past them in that tall grass, they won't stand up. I have to pretty much step on them to move them in my established fields, but that's a little later in the season when the grass is fully grown.
My grass is about up to my chest

That looks like a really nice stand....

Thanks guys.

Deep,
I bet your right. It would be easy to give up the first year. I had 2 other stands planted the same time. 20 is pretty much a wash. Another 10 acres that I mowed last late summer, then sprayed with 2,4-D and atrazine this spring. Funny, half of it is a pretty good stand. The other half not so good. But I wont completely give up on any stand until year 3.

Dipper,

If he stayed put I was running him over :D.

Wow Looks great Bill!
Will that switch grass maintain itself after established???

Bill if u have a cool season grass issue, u can use oust to nuke that. I sprayed in fall and it didn't hurt the native grass. It's like having a clear slate for the switch come spring.
I wouldn't count weak spots out at this point. I've had some good chunks look real bad in year 3, and really start coming around year 4. It takes a little effort but this grass will grow. It's really a lot of fun.

Great looking stand!

Bill if u have a cool season grass issue, u can use oust to nuke that. I sprayed in fall and it didn't hurt the native grass. It's like having a clear slate for the switch come spring.
I wouldn't count weak spots out at this point. I've had some good chunks look real bad in year 3, and really start coming around year 4. It takes a little effort but this grass will grow. It's really a lot of fun.

I have had the same thing happen, usually in areas of sandier/poorer soils. I actually overseeded some of the areas at the end of my hunting vacation (mid Nov), but even the areas I didn't overseed filled in in year 4/5. I sprayed the first 2 years with gly/simazine early spring. I would have used oust like dipper if I could have timed it correctly.

Thanks.

I may mow it high this summer, oust it late fall and lightly frost seed a bit more.

Remember ure plants are making seed, cut it u won't have seed. Now cutting it after it seeds is another story... But u will also be loosing ure cover. I'd spray and be done with it, or do nothing at all.

Your planting looks really nice Bill.

Wow Looks great Bill!
Will that switch grass maintain itself after established???

Not really. We have one field that is about 6 years old. Was getting over taken. I'm to chicken to burn so I sprayed it with gly and atrazine in the early spring. It looks much better except where the blackberry is taking over.

Good point Dipper.

Thanks buck..

Do not know where exactly you are, but in central Mn. hunters will not go into thick blackberry brush, so guess where the deer will go if pressured?

Do not know where exactly you are, but in central Mn. hunters will not go into thick blackberry brush, so guess where the deer will go if pressured?

There's a thought. I've got an acre patch that I never see a deer in. Maybe a bigger area would offer more refuge.