New family project, corn questions

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I'll be planting 3.5 acres of corn this spring for the first time on my farm. It's family farm that's never been managed with big deer in the surrounding area, SE Ohio. I'm adding an acre of green cover, vitalize, and droptines summer blends surrounding the corn and an acre of vitalize on the back end of the property in a kill plot. Reason behind the food is no one locally appears to plant and Def not corn within miles. With some of the big deer on cam and killed very local I'm looking to pull in deer to the property. Ill be doing a few cuts to open the canopy to sculpt some bedding and add to current bed. I also have app 6 acres of open hay field that butts to the new food plots I'm thinking putting native grass into next year.

I've never planted corn, ill be using buddies corn planter and he does plant corn. To get ahead of the costs what's the reccomended steps and soil prep for a hay field? I'm waiting on soil test results currently. Do I need to spray gly multiple times or just once leading up to planting. I have 2.5 acre rr ready corn from lapratt and one acre of Higgins corn which is not rr. Is there liquid nitrogen I should be adding or should I be using pellet? When should I prep ground prior to the plant date, do i work the nitrogen and lime in prior to the plant after first spray?

As far as plot shape this is what I've come up with, I have a couple ideas I'm working on but this will be the basic idea. Any help is appreciated! Light orange yellow is corn, greens will be the summer soil builders, orange is projected switch, blue will be an upland bird mix. Blues icons are new crabs.

Also north is left, west is bottom of pic. Stand sites are work in progress. The back plot covers me for a good chunk of the winds.
20230322_083544.jpg

Screenshot_20230401_101342_onX Hunt.jpg

The lower two plots are definitely a go. The ones on the top of pic are a maybe, likely stick with the lowers for year 1.

You harvesting the corn?

Your planter has fertilizer boxes? Old school is lime and fertilize while ground is frozen, Plow let is sit a week or two to sprout weeds, disc, then plant. Could spray before you plow, then spray a week or two after discing to kill weeds.

Modern way to do corn is to supplement nitrogen after it grows a bit. You could broadcast a mix of urea and red clover when the corn is a foot tall or so.

Put a "tractor path" where the treestand is. The nicest buck I harvested on my brother in laws land was a last hour of the day sit. Treestand wasnt in a good spot, so I litterally sat on a seat cushion with my knee up as a shooting rest. Slammed him with the 450 marlin, blood everywhere ran 100 yards. Could plant some oats in the tractor path...

Negative on harvesting, and negative on the fertilizer boxes.

Deer corn. Broadcast 400 lbs of 19-19-19 or what the coop can get close per acre. If it's a no til planter spray before planting. You'll need at least 1 more spraying maybe 2. If you're disking first theres no need for the first spray. Also If your disking fertilize afterwards and lightly disk it in. Otherwise broadcast when its about to rain hard.

Got a mower? my deer like corn on the ground not on the plant.

Beans are cheaper and easier if you can get them past the deer

You will probably need to spray gly once the corn come up. On the field that has corn that is not RR, I would spray 2 or 3 times before you plant. Make sure the corn is planted 2 inches deep. Definitely fertilize.

I don't know what LaPratt's corn is, but doubt it's anything special. I wouldn't plant any corn that isn't herbicide resistant. Nowadays, in most areas RR isn't good enough. If nobody is planting anything in the area, there are probably a lot cheaper crops that will draw just the same. Good luck.