Study on overseeding into Soybeans

Watch it bub! Lol

In all seriousness, I've had trouble finding a legume to do well in my summer plots. Best I can come up with is sunnhemp and cowpeas. Honestly just looking for something to produce organic matter and something to cover seed for my fall plots. I have plenty of food for wildlife in my thinned pines during the growing season. It gets super hot down here and the sunnhemp just laughs at it. I went with a bigger seed rate per acre on the cowpeas and am happy with how they look so far this year, still not as tall as I was hoping.

Milo, Jap Millet (going a different route moving forward, it does not handle drought well), Sorghum Sudan, Sunnhemp and Cowpeas for summer plots
WR, WW, AWP, CC, Turnips (more than likely eliminating this moving forward. Best time to plant for me in Oct. does not give it enough time to mature) for fall plots

Think I'm hitting the C:N ratio well enough with these blends?
Looks pretty darn good to me. Let your eyes tell you how balanced it is. If you see excessive residue sticking around longer than a year, you see your sorghums struggling, tweak it towards more cowpeas. If you're getting more unintended grass competition and don't have enough lasting residue, push your sorghums higher.

SD. I am planning to broadcast 200 pounds of rye and 8 pounds ladino clover labor day weekend and crimp it. I have no drill. If this mixture does not make it I wonder about broadcasting the above mix and then just mowing it on top. I really don't want to nuke it and frankly scared of long term effects. This picture was fron july 4 when I broadcasted and crimped what you see now.

Attachments

• 20240704_130009.jpg
    20240704_130009.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240705_085227.jpg
    20240705_085227.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 11
SD. I am planning to broadcast 200 pounds of rye and 8 pounds ladino clover labor day weekend and crimp it. I have no drill. If this mixture does not make it I wonder about broadcasting the above mix and then just mowing it on top. I really don't want to nuke it and frankly scared of long term effects. This picture was fron july 4 when I broadcasted and crimped what you see now.
You should get something out of it. The clover should make it no problem. White has a way of waiting and just shooting ahead when the time is right. The rye will fill in the gaps, and what doesn't crimp should play nicely in that blend. I think worst case scenario, you might be a little crowded, but that's never bothered me as much as not getting anything. Good chance you'll get a bunch of that summer blend to crimp by then.

When ever I plant clover I throw some chicory in with it. Clover and chicory feed each other and chicory has deeper roots so when the clover slows down during the hotter months the chicory helps to keep something growing. Clover will eventually over take the chicory so I go heavier on the chicory to get a few more years out of the mix before I have to start getting the ratios back in check.

Watch it bub! Lol

In all seriousness, I've had trouble finding a legume to do well in my summer plots. Best I can come up with is sunnhemp and cowpeas. Honestly just looking for something to produce organic matter and something to cover seed for my fall plots. I have plenty of food for wildlife in my thinned pines during the growing season. It gets super hot down here and the sunnhemp just laughs at it. I went with a bigger seed rate per acre on the cowpeas and am happy with how they look so far this year, still not as tall as I was hoping.

Milo, Jap Millet (going a different route moving forward, it does not handle drought well), Sorghum Sudan, Sunnhemp and Cowpeas for summer plots
WR, WW, AWP, CC, Turnips (more than likely eliminating this moving forward. Best time to plant for me in Oct. does not give it enough time to mature) for fall plots

Think I'm hitting the C:N ratio well enough with these blends?
My man. Alyce clover/aeschynomene with any of the grasses you mentioned would do great.

Do a burndown with gly and use prowl and should do great. The mix needs about a month of weed free. Once it germinates nothing will stop it.

IMG_1631.jpeg

My man. Alyce clover/aeschynomene with any of the grasses you mentioned would do great.

Do a burndown with gly and use prowl and should do great. The mix needs about a month of weed free. Once it germinates nothing will stop it.

View attachment 66756
I'm a little jealous. My alyce and vetch plot won't get over 3 inches tall.
20240731_175728.jpg20240731_175736.jpg

I bet they love it though!

Seems to be a Deep South mix. About time we got something food plot wise compared to yall!
In it every morning and evening!
Yours is kicking mines ass! Not even comparable!

Omi how long has that plot been growing. It's kicking ass

Omi also what blends are you growing

View attachment 66756
Does it tolerate summer droughts well? Does it tolerate sandy soils?

Does it tolerate summer droughts well? Does it tolerate sandy soils?
Yes yes.

The Alyce clover does well in dry sandy soil. The vetch does well in wetter soil. So you’ll get more of one or the other depending on soil. I notice differences even in same plot where wetter spot will do better with vetch and drier Alyce clover. I haven’t had a plot yet that didn’t get thick.

Omi also what blends are you growing

Add Milo and sunflowers in there @Catscratch. Will get the height you want.
Interesting that you say that. I add both sunflowers and milo to my summer mix 99% of the time. The only reason I didn't this yr was due to having never planted alyce and vetch before. Seems most of the times I had read about it they just do the pair. Next yr...

Interesting that you say that. I add both sunflowers and milo to my summer mix 99% of the time. The only reason I didn't this yr was due to having never planted alyce and vetch before. Seems most of the times I had read about it they just do the pair. Next yr...
I saw that too

Most say because of slow growing nature add cowpeas or grass for early growth. That said, if you get another month of growth I bet it will be 3-4 feet tall. Mine (longer growing season I know) got 6-8 feet last year.

I planted about a month later this year, in mid June, and mine looks like yours (plus the Milo) now. But I have all of August and all of September left for growing so will be 6 feet tall by bow season start October 15. It’s not uncommon to have 90 degree weather here in early October

Yes yes.

The Alyce clover does well in dry sandy soil. The vetch does well in wetter soil. So you’ll get more of one or the other depending on soil. I notice differences even in same plot where wetter spot will do better with vetch and drier Alyce clover. I haven’t had a plot yet that didn’t get thick.
Thanks Omi! Going to definitely try these out next year. Hairy Vetch usually does well at my place. Idk how similar it is to Joint Vetch though.

Thanks Omi! Going to definitely try these out next year. Hairy Vetch usually does well at my place. Idk how similar it is to Joint Vetch though.
Similar looking plants. But joint is a warm season and hairy a cool season.

I’ve posted this before but your boys at miss state love it.

Similar looking plants. But joint is a warm season and hairy a cool season.

I’ve posted this before but your boys at miss state love it.

Cant believe I havent seen this. 100 percent Dawg here. Thanks for sharing this!