All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stir Crazy

foggy

5 year old buck +
Due to foggy weather and the end of my deer season......I have been forced to just "hang out" for a couple of weeks before going to sunny Arizona for the winter. Being retired in the winter sucks......as I find very little to do in the North Country without freezing my azz off.

Question: How do you keep from going stir crazy over the winter? What can you offer to help others thru these times? (and sex does not count ;) )

Due to foggy weather and the end of my deer season......I have been forced to just "hang out" for a couple of weeks before going to sunny Arizona for the winter. Being retired in the winter sucks......as I find very little to do in the North Country without freezing my azz off.

Question: How do you keep from going stir crazy over the winter? What can you offer to help others thru these times? (and sex does not count ;) )

why not?

Here are a few:
Have or get a demanding job
Develop a list of home projects
Develop a skill. I need to find a person to help me learn to weld (Jim Timber Maybe)
Re-start your workout
Re-connect with old friends for dinners (many people have time in the winter)
Pick a couple of self development/educational books or efforts and get them done. If you have never read a book on Islam I recommend it. I read a book on different beers last winter, good stuff.
Build something.
Travel to a place you always wanted to go.

After all of that wait a minute and your wife will give you her honeydo list.

Sounds like you are thinking about where you want to be, rather than where you are at.

Read a book, learn a language, take a walk, go say hi to a friend locally, do something that redirects your mind ... If you control your mind , the circumstances do not ...

Remember that you can experience today, tomorrow the sun may not rise for you ...

No fish house this year, Tom?
I have not been in the woods due to back problems and also not wanting to move any deer out of my woods during mzzle season. I might take a walk and snap a few pictures tomorrow as well as dig out the Christmas tree.

Ice fishing just does not appeal to me any more, but I would like a few days in a spear house.

I'm beginning to think I need a break from the forum, but seem to go right back to it.

I like keeping my mind busy. I like various forms of puzzles, brain games, and that sort of thing. I like sex too, but you took that off the table!

I got one. Watch the Packers lose a game. ;)

i run on the treadmill 50-60 miles a week during the winter :) there really isn't anything else to do. i'll make one ice fishing trip (probably red again).

i run on the treadmill 50-60 miles a week during the winter :) there really isn't anything else to do. i'll make one ice fishing trip (probably red again).
You're crazy! Treadmills are tough for me to stay on in the winter. Love running in the summer though.

I daydream about being at the property pretty much all winter long.

You're crazy! Treadmills are tough for me to stay on in the winter. Love running in the summer though.
i actually prefer treadmills. it's really weird. i run at least 6 days a week and never get a hint or boredom...ever. i've done 22 miles on the treadmill twice and never felt bored. tired - yes!

I'm with MNFish I guess. I have read more habitat and crop related university studies and field trials than I care to mention, all while cooped up inside for the winter. Somehow I find that kind of stuff interesting in a strange way, even though I don't have a place to apply any of it. I always tell my wife that if we'd have met 10 years sooner, her grandparents wouldn't have had to sell their farm, we would have taken it over.

Are all you guys retired or what? While I do get stir crazy from time to time, I would have no problem figuring out what to do with more free time - SLEEP!!! Take the wife and kids and bosses away and give me a pillow.

I'm a big fan of snowshoeing around my property during winter and hinge cutting/planning for the next year. I also enjoy trying to kill a few predators. Hopefully heading to Kansas in January for some coyote hunting.

I agree... Snowshoeing is great on a nice sunny day.

In a month I will start working 60+ hours a week for 3 months straight so drinking beer on saturday nights will be my way to keep from going stir crazy. Might try to make a day trip or two on a Sunday up to the farm. Otherwise we just moved into a new house so there are a few projects to work on here. I'll probably read a book or two, watch some netflix, do some snowshoeing, exercise enough so that I don't gain weight, but I also don't get into shape.

Round is a shape....does that count?

From the looks of the long range forecast...and the view out of my window earlier today...snowshoeing this year may have to wait until late January or February. Which, BTW doesn't hurt my feelings much :)

That would not bother me at all!

.....OK.....I'll check back in a couple of weeks when the snow is 3 feet deep. ;) FORE!

I ponder why MN deer management sucks so bad