Steve B's Grow 'Em Big D&DH Show

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
I heard a rumor on the inter webs that there may be some additional content or a new/bigger show coming out?

I have been enjoying the stuff they have been putting out, keep it up.

I enjoy it as well. I only hope they allow Steve to be "Steve". I like his - "it ain't rocket science" approach to things. I have watched the majority of the episodes thus far. Something I would like to see is some sort of situation where they show and explain a situation for a property and how to recognize and take the best advantage of various features - sort of putting the various pieces together. I think that is where many folks struggle - they simply scatter things where they can and may actually be making things worse. Recognizing the pieces is one thing - putting the puzzle together is something else entirely.

Is it on-line somewhere or how does one watch these on demand? Got a link?

Steve has been out 2 years in a row on my big piece working hinged bedding, sidewalks, blockades etc and the amount of buck sign in the woods has really blown up. I could see the difference immediately. We finally got to the back of the property this year and started killing trees to get that to catch up to the areas we have worked, and the difference is obvious to date.

Steve has been out 2 years in a row on my big piece working hinged bedding, sidewalks, blockades etc and the amount of buck sign in the woods has really blown up. I could see the difference immediately. We finally got to the back of the property this year and started killing trees to get that to catch up to the areas we have worked, and the difference is obvious to date.
Hard to argue with results! I just like the way Steve presents himself and it seems he knows what he is talking about as well. Too many guys out there make it sound like it's some sort of new science or too difficult for the average person to do or understand or they are product pimping sponsor sluts. I just don't get that vibe when I watch Steve or read his stuff. OH - and he mingles with us commoners from time to time as well.

Hard to argue with results! I just like the way Steve presents himself and it seems he knows what he is talking about as well. Too many guys out there make it sound like it's some sort of new science or too difficult for the average person to do or understand or they are product pimping sponsor sluts. I just don't get that vibe when I watch Steve or read his stuff. OH - and he mingles with us commoners from time to time as well.
Yeah....what j-bird said,

Thanks guys,

The "rumor" is a tease for my new show for them that is starting in Sept. It will be the same format, just center on how-too hunting tips that can apply to any/everyone, whether hunting public ground or utopia. It will also run every other week. So, Grow `em Big will run one week, then Hunt `em Big the next, back to Grow `em Big the following and so on through Jan...then just Grow `em Big continues running until the following Sept.

Steve being "Steve" is a given. All the content and production work runs right through me and will continue as long as the show airs. If I stop being "me", I'm counting on you guys slapping some sense in me, as I'll deserve it.

The only issue I've had so far is that D&DH slapped a Quiet Kat commercial on the beginning of the previous episode on their facebook page and made me look like I was endorsing it. I'm pretty sure that's been resolved from here on out. Frankly, it made me look like a giant douche.

I promised I wouldn't do this unless I think some of you may benefit from it...Here's the ep that was uploaded today. I think you'll like it. All the footage of deer using the edge feather is from 2 cams covering 2 gaps I left just a month ago. I wish I'd waited another couple weeks to put the episode together, as the 2nd chip swap is ridiculous with bucks running back and forth through the gaps. The production guy did slap a couple clips in from last winter of deer generally using hinge cuts. I'm talking about the clips with the green vegetation.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/a...m-big-one-easy-trick-for-deer-hunting-success

P.S. though the episodes cycle through on their facebook page, they're also on D&DH's web site (linked above) and youtube. They're planning on leaving them up on both, building a library that some day will cover years of episodes.

Also, Sorry I haven't been here much lately. I just finished the 6th chapter of a habitat and deer management book that's due the 1st of August (only about a third of the way done....I'll be lucky to finish by Sept 1) and have a ton of other balls I'm trying to keep in the air right now. It's been nuts, mostly in a good way. I do check threads here at least once a week, though.

Yep, I love edge feathering. Been doing it for 30 years, just never new what to call it. I use it for the obvious reason to have the deer come out from one or 2 spots like in the video. We set it up at 30 yards or less from our stands. As you see we cut the piss out of every tree for the first 50' in along the edge of the field. But the other reason we did it was so the bucks could not see out into the field from the woods. Makes them come out in the open to sent check instead of a visual check from deep in the woods! Works great. Glad you are doing a segment on it steve! Thanks!

Glad to hear that Steve! I commented on the D&DH FB post of an episode of grow Em big and told them they needed to get more content from Steve Bartylla...lol! They replied that there was big news coming soon about just that. Looking forward to it!

I just checked it and saw that. That's flippin awesome, Phil. Dan Schmidt (the editor of the magazine) does all their facebook work/posting. He was who replied to you and he already probably thinks more highly of my work for them than I have a right to. He takes comments like that extremely seriously. Stuff like that helps more than you realize. Thanks!!!

I just checked it and saw that. That's flippin awesome, Phil. Dan Schmidt (the editor of the magazine) does all their facebook work/posting. He was who replied to you and he already probably thinks more highly of my work for them than I have a right to. He takes comments like that extremely seriously. Stuff like that helps more than you realize. Thanks!!!
no problem! I work in the e-commerce world so i understand completely how tapped into social media many businesses are in terms of consumer feed back. i was just hoping that D&DH was the same way and saw an opportunity to potentially help out one of the good guys!

Steve, I am enjoying this show a lot. Good job.

Thanks, guys. In all sincerity, a big part of why I like posting links to some of the work I do here (and occasionally on QDMA, to a lesser extent) is for your feedback. Looking at the posts above, when the posters in this thread don't hate it, I know I must be on the right track. If you can give the ultra serious something they don't hate, the casual guys are easy.