All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting trees from seed.

scott44

5 year old buck +
This is my 3rd year of starting oaks and chestnuts from seed, the previous 2 years I've started them the first part of March and had decent success. Dipper posted a pic of his chestnut seeds the other day so I checked mine and got to thinking why not start them now. I have nothing special just a Rubbermaid set of shelves sitting in a south facing window in our kitchen, no grow lights. Just wondering when everyone else starts theirs, Thanks

I used a Se facing patio window for tomatoes and crabapple seeds. Also a few swamp white oaks.

I focus on members of the white oak family - so I start them as soon as I can in the fall in 5 gallon buckets. With them being white oaks I plant them right away in the fall - the sooner the better. I have a ring of drainage holes in the bottom of the buckets for excess water to drain and I put roughly a dozen or so acorns in them and push them into the soil (regular potting soil) about half way. I then cover the top with some wire mesh (dang squirrels will eat everyone if you don't). I then put them in a spot where they get some good, but not pounding sun and let mother nature do her thing. I water them about once a week. I float test all my acorns, before planting. I get pretty good results and will then transfer the seedlings to their permanent location in the spring - once they leaf out and I can see which ones survived the winter. I am sure there are better ways, but I just don't want to put the effort into it at this time. The acorns I use come off of my place so I know there are adapted just fine.

Last edited: