Stark Bros Sale

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Seems like some pretty good prices on trees, plus free shipping. I picked up another Arkansas Black and Granny Smith.

My problem with stark is they generally don’t tell you (or know) what rootstock the tree is on. I have a handful of “semi-dwarf” trees that I wish I had on M111 that are kind of runts. I want big impressive trees that I can topwork if needed. They do have some offerings on standard rootstock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No comment on their trees, but I bought some asparagus crowns from them this year, as opposed to the small nurseries all the other times, and they have grown extremely well. Nearly 100% success from what I can tell. They were cheaper also. I'll do it again next year.

My problem with stark is they generally don’t tell you (or know) what rootstock the tree is on. I have a handful of “semi-dwarf” trees that I wish I had on M111 that are kind of runts. I want big impressive trees that I can topwork if needed. They do have some offerings on standard rootstock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly why I won't buy apple trees from them - no matter how big the sale. I would be fine with blackberries, blueberries, etc. but no apples.

Their answer when I have asked = We appreciate you reaching out to us. We use several different rootstocks, depending upon the desired result and what is available. For that reason, we're unable to guarantee a specific rootstock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered a couple of WineCrisp (XL semi-dwarf) for $18/tree.

I also tried to get rootstock info, but no go. I will say I have hade great success with their Chesnut crab apple.

Bought arkansas black from them ladt year. Its doing well. Had a saturn peach die, thry gave me a refund. Bought a macoun with the refund.

Thanks a lot! I just spent $225. 😆

I get 2 to 3 notices /day from stark bros. about sales

bill