Three nurseries I used this year ---and how they shipped their trees.

Prof.Kent

5 year old buck +
I bought fruit trees from Cummins Nursery, Stark Bros. Nursery, and Grandpa's Nursery. I have used them all in the past.
I have no complaints with any of the trees. (I have noticed that trees from Cummins are typically smaller, but that is to be expected since they sell out every year so you're rarely going to get older trees. If you think I'm wrong in this assesment, please respond.)

My problem is with how the trees from Stark's were wrapped. 4' tall boxes were used since the trees were fairly tall. All bare rooted trees. Seems the roots were pruned back rather severely. The trees were then placed in a plastic bag 4' long, some wet chopped newspaper added on the roots (supposedly) and then the plastic bag was loosely tucked into the box. The bag was not tied around the root balls or trees. In shipping, the wet paper gets scattered all over inside the bag. All roots were drying out. I received my Stark's order in two separate boxes and they were both packaged the same way.

Cummings Nursery stapled a black plastic bag very securely around the root balls and tight to the trunks, wet medium was added inside the bag, and also a bamboo stick. The trees were tied to the bamboo to keep from shifting around in the box and to keep the trees from being bent in case of bad handling by FedEX. No dehydration possible. Wrapped like this these trees, stored in a cool, dark place could last weeks.

Grandpa's Nursery trees were shipped in a large box like Stark's did, with root balls on either end of the box. Sphagnum moss was used as a wetting medium (great for filling the hole the tree goes into also, as both mulch and moister retentive material for the tree's first year. The bag was tied securely about 5 times to keep the moss around the roots and preventing it from shifting about the box. All wet medium was still in contact with the roots even after all shipping & handling. Good job.

My advice: If you buy from Stark's make sure you open the box immediately upon receiving it and put the roots in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting or re-wrapping or healing-in for planting a bit later. The roots will have been stressed due to drying. Last year my Stark's order was shipped the same way and I did not open the box on receipt and it took me a week to plant them. They were stored in a cool, dark shed. About 2 of 12 trees died and several were stressed due to, I believe, dried roots.

Thanks for the feedback! I have yet to use any of the nurseries you mentioned above. I have been considering an order from Starks for franklin cider, kindercrisp and some of their improved honeycrisp
Parentage trees.
I have used Turkey creek, Burnt ridge, century farms, native nurseries and wildlife group. All sent great trees packaged well.
Turkey creek, burnt ridge and wildlife group sent larger trees. Century farm trees were VERY small but growing well in my garden thus far.

Cummings Nursery stapled a black plastic bag very securely around the root balls and tight to the trunks, wet medium was added inside the bag, and also a bamboo stick. The trees were tied to the bamboo to keep from shifting around in the box and to keep the trees from being bent in case of bad handling by FedEX. No dehydration possible. Wrapped like this these trees, stored in a cool, dark place could last weeks

That was my experience last year. And they did last weeks in a 45-degree cellar. All of them lived and grew well. It was a grab bag order.

My problem is with how the trees from Stark's were wrapped. 4' tall boxes were used since the trees were fairly tall. All bare rooted trees. Seems the roots were pruned back rather severely. The trees were then placed in a plastic bag 4' long, some wet chopped newspaper added on the roots (supposedly) and then the plastic bag was loosely tucked into the box. The bag was not tied around the root balls or trees. In shipping, the wet paper gets scattered all over inside the bag. All roots were drying out. I received my Stark's order in two separate boxes and they were both packaged the same way.

My advice: If you buy from Stark's make sure you open the box immediately upon receiving it and put the roots in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting or re-wrapping or healing-in for planting a bit later. The roots will have been stressed due to drying. Last year my Stark's order was shipped the same way and I did not open the box on receipt and it took me a week to plant them. They were stored in a cool, dark shed. About 2 of 12 trees died and several were stressed due to, I believe, dried roots.

Above is especially important when Stark's ignores your request to ship "week of" April 15th and ships mid-March. They are the only nursery I have used who does not appear to base their production & shipping schedule on zip codes. Was disappointed with them.

I have purchased from Cummins, Stark Bros, and Burnt Ridge. I had very poor growth on the Burnt Ridge trees, so I have moved on from them. That said, I don't recall having a problem with their packaging, although they do have the longest distance to travel. Stark Bros trees do fine once in the ground, but they ship when THEY want to ship, even if there is still snow on the ground. I get them the same way you do Prof., but I have learned to have a pot ready to go when they arrive. My preferred nursery is Cummins, partly because they will hold shipping until I am ready, within reason of course. The black packaging does keep the roots nice and moist and they do seem to care. I am glad you raised this issue, it's one I don't give much thought to.

I've used 3 nurseries since fall of 2012 ordering - Cummins, SLN, and ACN. Biggest trees have always been from ACN, hands down. But packaging from all 3 of these nurseries have been just fine and I've had no problems with drying out. Cummins goes to the Nth degree to keep their trees sealed up and moist. I agree with Prof. Kent on his Cummins wrapping assessment.

EDIT - After reading H20's post below, I'll mention our evergreen source for the past 4 years. Flickinger's nursery in western Pa. We've ordered Norway spruce and balsam fir from them and they're always nice seedlings. Norways avg. 18" to 2 ft. for 3/0 bare root. Balsam about 12". Packaging has been very good. I'll use Flickinger's again.

We also tried Pine Grove Nursery outside Clearfield Pa. this year for rooted ROD. They were great plants - many about 2 ft. tall and good roots. Packaging was very good with wet moss around the roots. Buds started to open while the roots were in the plastic bag and the rest of the packing was opened up. They should take right off. This 1st try with Pine Grove was a WIN. I'd use them again.

Last edited:
I have bought from Cummins four or five times apples and pears no real complaints, the #1 grade trees do way better than a #7/16 and down..IMO it would be better to wait a year and order early if you can't get a #1 or #11/16 grade and save yourself the hassle of a couple year catch up with skinnier smaller trees, it's worth the little extra to buy the fatty's. Cummins is very good on shipping dates.

Have used Stark twice, first time apples&pears supreme grade great experience good growing trees. Second time ordered the supreme grade had same experience as OP and trees have been very slow starters going into second year for them hope they take off.

Have bought from NWC three times, good packaging tremendous root structure, some whips feathered, have all grown very well.

Wildlife Group once, apples&pears all good, trees have grown well.

Also have bought from Raintree once, apples/pear/cherry packaging fine tree's very well feathered have grown OK. Good on shipping date.

Have bought LOTS of shrubs and conifers from Cold Stream Farm over last four springs...good packaging decent root structure, pretty hardy trees/shrubs. Very good on shipping dates.

Kind of a mixed bag this year.

1- Local Conservation D, hands down best looking trees I've recieved three years running. Not packaged the best (local pickup) but dang nice trees, best overall size, roots and price point. (Suspect Baileys)

2 - NWC - first time ordering and left impressed. Good sized trees an roots. Good price and no premature leaf out. Only knock, tons of burr knots.

3- Cummings - great packaging. Tuffer to find varieties on roots of my choice. Price decent for the trees sent. Good roots.

4 - Cold Stream - good selection of stuff I cant get local. Little more expensive. Didnt arrive in the best shape. Think ups ruffed them up a bit, didnt show up when stated.
Chestnuts were tiny. Cedar very nice.

5- stark bros - cherry picked a couple cider varieties for the back yard, trees in good shape, little small but ordered pretty late in season. Specifically asked for b118 due to our winters, and that is what the tag states, but we will see after this next winter. One downside, all the email they keep sending on the daily.

6 SLN - guess I can say they were shipped on time as requested. Other than that, kinda disapointed for the second year running. Small trees with small roots. Some were starting to leaf out on arrival. Paying a premium for choice selection on Ant rootstock. Hoping it pays off. Slow growers so far hoping for a little more this year.

Undecided - Raintree- orderd a couple weeks back, wont ship till mid may, little nervous as the heat could ramp up arpund that time, when right now we r experiencing perfect planting weather.
Might be a blessing in disguise as I am about shot after the past 4 days.

I ordered from The Wildlife Group this year and a couple state nurseries last year.

KY Dept of Forestry were the best: big chestnut trees, huge roots, nicely packaged, good survival rates, great prices of course!

The Wildlife Group was shipped on time in a large bag with half facing one way and the other half facing the other covered in moss. All had leafed out since it was the last week they ship (last week in March). Arrived in good shape. The trees were a touch small, but all but one survived. To be fair, I planted and a hard frost hit killing every leaf. All seem likely to rebound, but I think I lose one: the extra tree they threw in.

The Illinois Division of Forestry (or something similarly named) shipped the very small persimmon trees for the vast majority of them, but they were well packaged and shipped on time with great prices, good survival rates.