Staring at the weather

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I hate hot weather. Seriously despise it. Compound that disdain exponentially come hunting season. I’m not supposed to sweat in the stand in my mind. How many of y’all start watching the weather 5,10,14 days in advance of a weekend hunting. I swear every time I do it goes from good to bad as it get closer. Have the whole weekend next weekend to go. 14 days ago was 73 and mid 50’s. Not bad. No 80 and 63. It seriously puts me in a bad mood!

I dont pay attention until the day before the hunt. It is what it is. -3 or 103, if I was going, I am still going. Deer are still out there

I dont bow hunt until after a good freeze, or usually until mid October. I hate bugs, I hate spiders, I hate having to shoot, gut, drag, hang and clean the deer the same day because it is so hot out. I prefer to hunt mid 30's to 0.

I dont bow hunt until after a good freeze, or usually until mid October. I hate bugs, I hate spiders, I hate having to shoot, gut, drag, hang and clean the deer the same day because it is so hot out. I prefer to hunt mid 30's to 0.
Oh man the bugs when cleaning a deer when it’s hot is beyond miserable. I shot a doe Saturday cause it was nice. Mid 50’s in the am. Still had yellow jackets all over the damn place when I was cleaning her. Said to myself next doe will be in December

Down here in the south, that could be every day of the season - and our season goes to end of February. I have seen cottonmouths and alligators in every month of the year where I hunt.

I did a tracking experiment one year...comparing weather.com and accuweather.com (in hindsight shoulda thrown in a local site too)...I made a spreadsheet of the forecast as far out as it would go for specific dates, approx 1.5-2 months (think first day of archery season, the fridays I had off in Archery Season, the first day of rifle season, etc). The conclusion that I came to was that as far as the actual weather went (rain/approx temps) these were only good out 4-5 days. As far as wind (speed and direction) went, it was 1-2 days out. I still check the weather obsessively (moreso for plots now than for hunting) but I don't get too worried, unless I am picking which Fridays to have off during the rut, then I go a little nuts with it...

I did a tracking experiment one year...comparing weather.com and accuweather.com (in hindsight shoulda thrown in a local site too)...I made a spreadsheet of the forecast as far out as it would go for specific dates, approx 1.5-2 months (think first day of archery season, the fridays I had off in Archery Season, the first day of rifle season, etc). The conclusion that I came to was that as far as the actual weather went (rain/approx temps) these were only good out 4-5 days. As far as wind (speed and direction) went, it was 1-2 days out. I still check the weather obsessively (moreso for plots now than for hunting) but I don't get too worried, unless I am picking which Fridays to have off during the rut, then I go a little nuts with it...
Nicely done!
I check the weather as much as I can because I hunt a remote area where cell signal is non-existent. So whenever I get to a place where I can drop out of airplane mode, I give a look at the extended forecast. Wind is really what I try to focus on. Although if the next couple of days look like it's going to be a wash-out I will pack up and head for home. Not a good chance of tracking an arrow-hit deer in the rain.

How are we supposed to hunt cold fronts when they're aren't any?? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I feel like after about 7 days they just work off of historical averages and then adjust from there.

I feel like after about 7 days they just work off of historical averages and then adjust from there.
yeah i assume they just go with the averages for the temps, then kinda guess on the precip/wind

I don't know how you guys down south do it..

I didn't get plots planted in time so i'm quietly enjoying this indian summer in MN and hoping things keep growing!

I do it all compulsively all week if I know I’ll be hunting. Checking wind figuring which stand etc etc. usually hoping the wind turns out right for the stand I want to go to

It’s been too warm !! Not much moving

I built a cheat sheet for myself. Mapping out which stands locations are good for which wind and where/how I think the deer travel. The weatherman may not always be accurate but this gets me moving without having to think - "Where should I go?"

1632923652892.png

Nice! What software did you use?

I use OnX for similar purposes, although most is in my head by now..

Glad this popped up. Guess I need start looking at weather again since it's FINALLY our opener this Saturday.

Glad this popped up. Guess I need start looking at weather again since it's FINALLY our opener this Saturday.
Friday night lows in the mid 40s, N-NW light winds, getting to about 70ish or so...rain coming late Saturday night so the late sit should be good and it will be cool enough in the morning that they should be moving...here's to hopin anyway...

Friday night lows in the mid 40s, N-NW light winds, getting to about 70ish or so...rain coming late Saturday night so the late sit should be good and it will be cool enough in the morning that they should be moving...here's to hopin anyway...
ya supposed to start out W for me in the morning then switch to SW and then to S by evening. South wind is terrible for me so I might just sit it out as it's supposed to get into the 70s anyway. Might go do an observation sit on a friends property. He had it timbered pretty heavy this year, so I have no idea what to expect. Lots of oaks top with acorns on them, laying on the ground though. It could be good.