spring planted winter rye?

reading this is giving me the itch to put some food in the ground.

Have hunted over WR (I believe) that was used as a cover crop after the corn was out on a giant farm. It does pretty well for late attaction, but have never planted any myself on my dedicated hunting farm. This is intriguing.

Would like to spread out some of my planting thoughout the spring and summer so I don't have 3 weeks worth of work in 2 saturdays come the first of August.

6/25/19,

Where did you buy your Winfred brassica? How much does it cost?

I bought it from a friend of mine who is a seed dealer who lives near me, he is the owner of the first link below in which you can see the price, you have to scroll down the page to find the Winfred.

There are numerous places to buy it online if you search for "Winfred forage brassica" you'll get lots of options. A few are below, the first one is the local dealer near me.

http://www.maxirack.com/poundseeds.html

https://hearneseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica/

https://www.deercreekseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica

https://meritseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica-annual/

Last edited:
The view of the food plots looking out the windows on the west end of my home this morning with fog lifting from the west end of the valley after another inch and a quarter of rain last night and this morning. The deer have been starting to feed in the Rye and rape little more last week or so.

20190628_101346.jpg

Following. Thanks for posting your results Bornagain. I'm trying to simplify too and this would go a long way.

I bought it from a friend of mine who is a seed dealer who lives near me, he is the owner of the first link below in which you can see the price, you have to scroll down the page to find the Winfred.

There are numerous places to buy it online if you search for "Winfred forage brassica" you'll get lots of options. A few are below, the first one is the local dealer near me.

http://www.maxirack.com/poundseeds.html

https://hearneseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica/

https://www.deercreekseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica

https://meritseed.com/winfred-forage-brassica-annual/

BG ... Info says it can withstand 4 grazings and regrow, what has been your experience?

When do you plant?

Do you think it could be overseeded into say soybeans with reasonable germination?

BG ... Info says it can withstand 4 grazings and regrow, what has been your experience?

When do you plant?

Do you think it could be overseeded into say soybeans with reasonable germination?

This year I planted on May 15th. You can read my previous posts from earlier this year in this thread for more on planting dates and what I've tried and learned from the past.

If your talking about broadcasting Winfred seed into soybeans that are small and have a lot of open bare ground in between the rows or soybean plants, the Winfred will sprout and grow just like any other brassica with a good rain to get it to germinate on bare ground with enough sunlight. Problem would be seeding rates. If you planted soybeans at a rate for optimum production of soybeans, planting the Winfred with the beans would likely decrease the soybean production somewhat, but you would have the additional tonnage from the Winfred which would probably more than make up for the loss of soybean production. I would think you could even plant soybeans, roundup ready if that's what you're doing, and let the beans get a couple inches tall or whenever you spray them for weeds, and after you've sprayed the plot with roundup make sure you've gotten a good rain to eliminate the possibility of the roundup killing the sprouting Winfred seeds, and then broadcast the Winfred over the soybean plot. Just beware, 2 pounds per acre of Winfred is a tiny amount of seed and you need to be careful not to spread too much seed if you're broadcasting. I used a landpride seeder and put the Winfred in the small seed box and the rye in the large seed box and can easily plant Winfred at 2 pounds per acre with that.

When they say it can withstand 4 grazings and regrow they are talking about letting a herd of cattle graze on it and eat most of the foliage, and then take the cattle off the Winfred for a while and put them back on to let the cattle graze it again. Like rotational grazing, doing that 4 times, and the Winfred will still regrow after 3 or 4 hard grazings from cattle. As the following bold italic text says on one of the sites selling the seed, this is to farmers planting it for cattle to graze on:

Management suggestions: Winfred can be sown in spring or late summer. Winfred is quick to establish, ready for first grazing 10-12 weeks after planting. Strip-grazing prevents both yield and quality losses due to tramping and polluting. It is also important not to overfeed the cattle when they are allowed to graze the brassica at first. Extreme high dry matter intake of brassicas can cause health problems. Stock should be allowed to adjust to the change of diet. Supplementing with other forages will also prevent these problems.

Nothing even close to that kind of grazing pressure would happen with planting Winfred Brassica as a food plot unless you have an extremely high deer density or a very tiny plot of Winfred. Right now there's just a handful of deer browsing in the Rye and rape at various times during the morning and evening because they have alfalfa all over the place around here, and 2 acres of alfalfa right next to our 4 acres of rye/Winfred. So during the spring, summer and early fall growing season, most of the Winfred plants in our food plots will be untouched by the deer other than an occasional leaf or two eaten from some of the Winfred. A couple of weeks ago I did see some individual Winfred plants that were totally uprooted by deer that pulled on them to eat them, but that's very minor in 4 acres with plenty of Winfred plants throughout even at only 2 pounds per acre. By September they start to feed on the Winfred more heavily, but by then if things go well the Winfred should be about waist hi and there will tons of green forage there for them. Deer grazing pressure increases a lot in October and November on the Winfred (and the rye too). By the time December or January we will likely have anywhere from 30 to 50 deer every evening in our Rye and Brassica.

Last edited:
This year I planted on May 15th. You can read my previous posts from earlier this year in this thread for more on planting dates and what I've tried and learned from the past.

If your talking about broadcasting Winfred seed into soybeans that are small and have a lot of open bare ground in between the rows or soybean plants, the Winfred will sprout and grow just like any other brassica with a good rain to get it to germinate on bare ground with enough sunlight. Problem would be seeding rates. If you planted soybeans at a rate for optimum production of soybeans, planting the Winfred with the beans would likely decrease the soybean production somewhat, but you would have the additional tonnage from the Winfred which would probably more than make up for the loss of soybean production. I would think you could even plant soybeans, roundup ready if that's what you're doing, and let the beans get a couple inches tall or whenever you spray them for weeds, and after you've sprayed the plot with roundup make sure you've gotten a good rain to eliminate the possibility of the roundup killing the sprouting Winfred seeds, and then broadcast the Winfred over the soybean plot. Just beware, 2 pounds per acre of Winfred is a tiny amount of seed and you need to be careful not to spread too much seed if you're broadcasting. I used a landpride seeder and put the Winfred in the small seed box and the rye in the large seed box and can easily plant Winfred at 2 pounds per acre with that.

When they say it can withstand 4 grazings and regrow they are talking about letting a herd of cattle graze on it and eat most of the foliage, and then take the cattle off the Winfred for a while and put them back on to let the cattle graze it again. Like rotational grazing, doing that 4 times, and the Winfred will still regrow after 3 or 4 hard grazings from cattle. As the following bold italic text says on one of the sites selling the seed, this is to farmers planting it for cattle to graze on:

Management suggestions: Winfred can be sown in spring or late summer. Winfred is quick to establish, ready for first grazing 10-12 weeks after planting. Strip-grazing prevents both yield and quality losses due to tramping and polluting. It is also important not to overfeed the cattle when they are allowed to graze the brassica at first. Extreme high dry matter intake of brassicas can cause health problems. Stock should be allowed to adjust to the change of diet. Supplementing with other forages will also prevent these problems.

Nothing even close to that kind of grazing pressure would happen with planting Winfred Brassica as a food plot unless you have an extremely high deer density or a very tiny plot of Winfred. Right now there's just a handful of deer browsing in the Rye and rape at various times during the morning and evening because they have alfalfa all over the place around here, and 2 acres of alfalfa right next to our 4 acres of rye/Winfred. So during the spring, summer and early fall growing season, most of the Winfred plants in our food plots will be untouched by the deer other than an occasional leaf or two eaten from some of the Winfred. A couple of weeks ago I did see some individual Winfred plants that were totally uprooted by deer that pulled on them to eat them, but that's very minor in 4 acres with plenty of Winfred plants throughout even at only 2 pounds per acre. By September they start to feed on the Winfred more heavily, but by then if things go well the Winfred should be about waist hi and there will tons of green forage there for them. Deer grazing pressure increases a lot in October and November on the Winfred (and the rye too). By the time December or January we will likely have anywhere from 30 to 50 deer every evening in our Rye and Brassica.

I inadvertently sort of am doing this as well.

We reseeded the area around our chicken coop, I wasn’t worried about attractiveness for deer, so I planted Rye and medium red clover around the coop. I planted it like May 20th or so and it’s nowhere looking great so far. I’m going to pay close attention to how it looks September to November as well. I’d love to do this next year.

BD ... thanks for the response.

You state ready for grazing 10-12 weeks after planting but can be planted in late summer. Where are you located at USDA zone wise?

How late do you see regrowth?

BD ... thanks for the response.

You state ready for grazing 10-12 weeks after planting but can be planted in late summer. Where are you located at USDA zone wise?

How late do you see regrowth?

that is the seed supplier's statement about ready for grazing 10-12 weeks after planting. as I wrote in the previous post, they are talking about planting the Winfred for grazing a herd of cattle on it. has nothing to do with planting it for a deer food plot. totally different situation. I'm in southwest Wisconsin, Sauk county. our first freeze is usually mid to late September. The Winfred usually continues to put new growth on until mid to late October.

I have seen tables that show yield based off of CEC and soil organic matter. It broke it down to show yield based off off the percentages of each with no additional inputs.
I cant recall where i saw them but it was in an Archeletta, Brown, or Brant video I believe.

Found the table in a book I started reading again
4d84c91715693bd0b8a157d117349913.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how's this experiment going? I'm interested in any update you may have.

Weeds are the biggest problem. As stated above, we have 2 plots that are about 2 acres each. We like to do our food plots as organic as possible, so we had the neighbor chisel plow the 4.2 acres and then had him run his soil finisher over it after plowing to break up the clods and smooth the soil. Then I seeded the plot the same day, May 15th. Seed germination was great as you can see in the photos above in post #64, taken in Mid June, 4 weeks after planting. At that time, the weeds didn't look like much of a problem. Now, one of the 2 acre plots is mostly taken over by weeds, the other one is looking pretty good. I will post photos below. The good looking plot is over knee high in Winfred brassica and it usually puts on a lot of growth in August, September, and early October. Other years when we've planted it in mid summer, the Winfred would only be several inches tall by early August, so it will be interesting to see how tall this ends up when mid October comes around. The rye has mostly died out. It seems like it goes dormant or dies out when the long hot summer weather comes. Also, in the plot where the Winfred is nice and tall, it has shaded out the rye below it, and that seems to have killed the rye. That's ok, as they love the Winfred and there will be tons of forage for them there all fall and winter. The deer have been feeding on it regularly all summer long.

If you don't mind using roundup, killing any existing vegetation with roundup and then no till planting Winfred brassica and rye would produce excellent results. Or, tilling the soil and then leveling it and cultipacking it, and waiting a couple of weeks for weeds to germinate and then spraying with roundup to kill the weeds, and planting the Winfred and rye with minimal soil disturbance so as to not bring up new weed seed would also produce a great weed free plot of spring planted rye and Winfred.

We will have to experiment with some other methods to try and reduce weed pressure without using herbicides on our food plots. One thing I would suggest if trying this without the use of herbicides is to plant the rye a higher rate. I did around 80 pounds of rye per acre and 2 pounds of Winfred per acre. I would say 100# or even 120# of rye per acre would be better at reducing weed problems. Once the rye got about 12" tall and the hot summer weather came, the growth on the rye stopped and the Winfred takes over as it grows above the rye. If using roundup to kill weeds before planting, the higher seeding rate of rye would not be necessary, 80# per acre would be just fine.

This is the better of the 2 plots. Some weeds, but mostly Winfred and it's over knee hi already, so I would expect it to be around waist hi by early October. The deer have been feeding on it some all summer long. In September, the deer feeding activity really picks up and even more so into mid late fall and winter.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a beautiful plot of lambs quarter to me. If I planted that the deer would mow the "weeds" to the ground and not touch the brassica.

Looks like a beautiful plot of lambs quarter to me. If I planted that the deer would mow the "weeds" to the ground and not touch the brassica.

the photo doesn't give a good view of what's really there because it's looking horizontally into the plot. If you could view the plot from directly above you could see that it's about 80% Winfred brassica and 20% weeds. the weeds are not and will not have much of an effect on this plot, especially going forward the next 2 months. the lambs quarter is mature and will soon be done growing and die off and the next 2 months the Winfred will really take off. by late September it will be a solid canopy of waist-high Winfred. The deer will be feeding heavily in this September through March. I will post trail camera photos to confirm that.

the photo doesn't give a good view of what's really there because it's looking horizontally into the plot. If you could view the plot from directly above you could see that it's about 80% Winfred brassica and 20% weeds. the weeds are not and will not have much of an effect on this plot, especially going forward the next 2 months. the lambs quarter is mature and will soon be done growing and die off and the next 2 months the Winfred will really take off. by late September it will be a solid canopy of waist-high Winfred. The deer will be feeding heavily in this September through March. I will post trail camera photos to confirm that.

Wasnt meant in a criticizing manner. Just meant that the deer on our place love lambs quarter and brassica is hit or miss. I am extremely weed tolerant.

Wasnt meant in a criticizing manner. Just meant that the deer on our place love lambs quarter and brassica is hit or miss. I am extremely weed tolerant.

OK, I wasn't sure so thanks for clarifying. and I don't mind weeds as long as they don't drastically reduce the growth of the seed I plant, such as happened in the other 2 acres plot which turned into thistles grass, and some other broadleaf weed. I just wanted to clarify for anyone who prefers a more weed free plot. The lambs quarter is taller than the Winfred now, so when looking horizontally at the plot like in the photo above, all you see is the lambs quarter, but if I were to walk through the plot and take random photos directly below me, looking down it's nearly a total canopy of Winfred brassica leaves with just an occasional lambs quarter or other weed sticking up through the Winfred leaves.

Last edited:
IM000979.JPG

The photo above is a trail coming in and out of the Winfred Brassica. Notice all the deer track in the mud in the trail not long after a heavy rain. This is the west end of the plot opposite from my house and gets more usage and then as it gets eaten down in the winter they move their feeding closer and closer to the house. my house is about 100 yards from the east end of this 2 acre plot. Most of the plot the Winfred throughout the 2 acres is waist hi now but at the west end where this photo is taken the deer have been feeding on it so much that it's only about knee hi now.

Any update on the winfred? The past couple of years I have been planting Kale in my summer mix but for next year I'm considering adding a pound of winfred to the mix.

Any update on the winfred? The past couple of years I have been planting Kale in my summer mix but for next year I'm considering adding a pound of winfred to the mix.

We tried spring planting Kale years ago and it grows so much slower than the Winfred, the kale got to about 12" tall and the deer browsed it to death and it didn't really produce any amountable forage for deer after mid summer since it had been so overbrowsed.

In our Winfred that was planted May 15th this year, the weeds that you can see in some of the previous photos in this thread have matured/turned brown/died out and the Winfred is tall and green and formed a complete canopy and putting on a little more growth before any hard freezes come. The golden stuff in the 2 photos below is 6 to 7 foot tall switchgrass immediately adjacent to the Winfred. The Winfred is over 3 feet tall except for the far west end where the deer have it browsed down to about knee hi. 75% or more of this 2 acres is waist hi or taller Winfred and I'm 5'11" tall. Some of it nearly comes up to my chest. Deer are hardly visible when they walk into the taller stuff since it nearly comes to the top of their backline. in the photo you can see it comes up to around 40" on the tape measure. The other 2 acre plot was overtaken by weeds and we mowed it off in midsummer and seeded winter rye into it without any tillage.

5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t deny the benefits of WR or that deer use it at times. But it’s not much of an attractant early fall. Especially when everything is still so green. I have been looking at crude protein levels and WR seems to be in that 8-13% range but I haven’t found if that’s dried down or green. I thought I recalled it being a bit higher but haven’t come across that study recently.

I have a bunch of small trees and shrubs in my plot Dogwoods, Callery pears, Bush honeysuckle, green briar etc and my WR is 10-12 inches high and the deer walk through it to browse leaves, and the occasional peas that are left in the plot.

Now of course in 2-3 weeks that will change as the leaves drop but I think next year I am going to go with something more attractive and overseed with WR a bit later.