Spring Cleaning

Jaxon Holler

Yearling... With promise
As spring slowly creeps into Central Wisconsin I have finally decided to tackle what turned out to be an extremely satisfying project. Our property consists of an abandoned/retired limestone quarry. The exposed cliffs and pits are one of the main reasons we love our place. With that came a darker side which I have come to hate... JUNK! After the quarry ceased operation and long before we purchased the land, it became a dumping area for appliances, shingles, tires and trash. This spring I finally got around to consolidating the bulk of these items and removing them from the place. 2700 pounds of scrap steel and a car hauler full of appliances left. There is no way I could have imagined the sense of joy I have without this junk laying around every corner.
Next I will round up the dozens of tires littering the landscape. My final project will be a lifelong gathering of broken glass which seems to pop up every time I disk a foodplot or clear ground for new native plantings. I would highly encourage anyone with a similar situation to go ahead and clean up your woods. It elevated my enjoyment beyond my expectations.

It's a great time of year to locate and pull up old barb wire fencing. The boys and I did a bunch a couple weeks ago and even they enjoyed it.

Your probably making money by improving the value of the land without the junk

I have a stand aptly named “The trash can stand”. I think every owner for years dumped their trash in the same ditch.

Alittle hint to check on since most dumps charge you to dump tires,if you cut side wall out with sawzall then it's not a tire anymore it's trash.I have cleaned up several dumps from the old time families.Part of my land was a oil field and had oil field families living there so they would dump.I hauled 35 5 gal buckets of glass out last year