Spring 2020 Apple Tree List and Materials

ChadHable

Yearling... With promise
I'm starting to put my thoughts and ideas together of what types of apple trees I'm going to plant as well as the materials I'm going to need. I've based on the materials list on discussion posts from this website, articles, and YouTube videos. Is there anything significant that i'm missing?

I've also included the types of trees I'm looking to purchase. I started talking with the local garden center and they have a bareroot sale every spring which they get their apple trees from Baileys Nursery. These trees are approximately - 5'-7' tall and based on conversations with the local garden center they come on semi-dwarfing root-stock. My questions are: do I have to many varieties? Do I have to worry about any pollination issues with the varieties I've selected? If you were to purchase 10 trees, what varieties of apples would you purchase for 4B/4C zone.

The main purpose of these apple trees is to provide additional food for deer and the occasional consumption when we are on the land. I'm very new to fruit tree growing and trying to give these trees the best chance for survival. Thank you!

Attachments

• Apples.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 87
I would add a chestnut crab. You have a good list to start.

Kerr crab is another good choice but is hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your equipment list, I'd go with the 5 foot fencing. Also, golden delicious tastes great right off the tree and the fruit is slow to drop (extending into November).

I'm not producing apples yet, but trying my darndest. My gut has told me to dream big on Enterprise. I've had them at my land for 4 years and in my grafting nursery for 2 years and they grow well and the leaves stay real clean. Many of the wise apple guys here will say that crabs are slightly easier to grow.

I see you have planned 25' of wire cage per tree. Not sure how you're using it? I use 8' of wire remesh per tree, which makes a 3 foot round cage to surround each tree, 5 foot tall. A single 100' roll for 12 trees.

You could also consider pollination period/times for each variety you select, and where they are positioned in your orchard. If you have varieties with different pollination periods(1 through 5) you can still get 1 or 2 varieties to produce in a year with harsh spring weather. Then lay out your orchard with Period 2 variety next to a different period 2 or at least next to a Period 3 variety and so on.

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/GOWeb-Pollination-Apple+(2013).pdf

Last edited:
I wouldn't plant McIntosh because of it getting apple scab. It should still fruit without spraying but may not be a real healthy tree long term. I'd plant Liberty instead if you think that will do ok for your zone or chestnut crab.

Wolf River - originally from Wisconsin - should do well for you there. Haralson & Chestnut crab too :emoji_thumbsup:

Dolgo crab could be a consideration as well (you will want a crab or two as pollinators), you will love the chestnut crab for eating and so will the deer ... The wolf river is a good one too just beware of how large they fruit at first with the younger trees - large apple = bent and snapped branches.

Go a big as you can with the cages - that will allow you some lower branches, lower than the tighter dia. cages. You can lift the wire up a foot which allows predators access to the mice haven most tree enclosure create but you would need more than 2 posts to do that. A 2 post system is good, no issues there (eventually you may have deer or bear push in the fencing but they have shoved down some of my 4 post enclosures, but try and go as large as possible with your cages) - it helps keeps the deer from browsing and in the end you will have a nicer tree to work with. If you use tighter cages = no lower branches you will eventually get bucks rubbing the trunks (once you think you can pull the cages) so you will have to keep some type of protection around the trunk.

I would also recommend you plan on using your window screen for a decade or better, so either cut a large enough chunk to use for years or just plan on switching out to a larger screen later - mice can girth a 10 plus year old tree I know that as fact:emoji_cry:. Pretty much all of the baileys trees are going to be MN hardy trees grown north of the Twin Cities so they have weathered some pretty cold temps.. they are a solid choice for you.

With my first ever planting of trees I did two of each variety also - not sure I would do that again. Now, If I had the choice to do again... I would do one of each variety unless I had a favorite - you can always buy root stock later and graft scion gathered from your young trees to make more of each variety at a fraction of the cost. In fact when you get your dormant trees they will have some nice scion right on them. Be aware of any licencing issues but that is a personal choice... Im just saying you will have a ready made source of scion with your bareroot trees and it often does not hurt to do some pruning.

White Latex paint for the trunks... and!!!!! metal tags to label your trees permanently - this might sound dumb but 10 years from now you will not have a clue which trees are which unless you do that. You may want some tall fiberglass stakes for your trees. There are pros and cons to using them. I like to loosely stake my trees when they are young and often use them to keep the young trees running straight.

Buying the trees is the cheap part keeping them alive is the $$ part.

This spring a spray bottle of fungus and bug killer combo spray would be a good buy as well... bugs will like your leaves.

Welcome to the apple tree addiction site....

Freedom apple might be a good one as well

Thank you all of the great tips so far. Please keep them coming. I'm definitely going to be changing the notes that I have so far.

Enterprise is late and disease resistant and tastes pretty darn good. Here are 2 nice bucks under one of my Enterprise trees last Friday I think you can see the apples hanging. They are frozen now and will probably be mush when they thaw but it won’t stop deer from eating them. Also have a couple of Goldrush that have a lot of fruit hanging and very little dropping before the frigid weather hit. The tree behind is a Cripps Pink and it’s loaded but void of leaves. They never quite ripen here in zone 5 but the deer still love them 78DE7F1C-DEE2-4B77-A502-CF58AE871683.jpeg

Almost too late now but I would put down a couple 3' by 3' pieces of cardboard in the places you intend to plant your trees. Then add about 3 inches of good compost, covering the cardboard. Cover that with leaves, straw, or some other type of mulch. That will give your planting sites a little jump start, depending on how the weather behaves.

Another apple with WI origins is Northwest Greening. Will be cold hardy, ripens about late Sept. Believe they can hang awhile.
The U of Minn apples are also great for hardiness and see several on your list already. Ok I vote for Chestnut crab too. They produce quick and taste good and ripen a little later than Whitney, call it soon after Labor day and can hang for a bit into Oct

I'm starting to put my thoughts and ideas together of what types of apple trees I'm going to plant as well as the materials I'm going to need. I've based on the materials list on discussion posts from this website, articles, and YouTube videos. Is there anything significant that i'm missing?

I've also included the types of trees I'm looking to purchase. I started talking with the local garden center and they have a bareroot sale every spring which they get their apple trees from Baileys Nursery. These trees are approximately - 5'-7' tall and based on conversations with the local garden center they come on semi-dwarfing root-stock. My questions are: do I have to many varieties? Do I have to worry about any pollination issues with the varieties I've selected? If you were to purchase 10 trees, what varieties of apples would you purchase for 4B/4C zone.

The main purpose of these apple trees is to provide additional food for deer and the occasional consumption when we are on the land. I'm very new to fruit tree growing and trying to give these trees the best chance for survival. Thank you!
You could go down to Wallace Nursery in Merrill and talk with them about trees for food plots

10 trees for your zone and for your purposes:

Zestar!
Liberty
Chestnut Crab
Dolgo Crab
Enterprise
Arkansas Black
Frostbite
Bonkers
Snow sweet
Wickson crab

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

10 trees for your zone and for your purposes:

Zestar!
Liberty
Chestnut Crab
Dolgo Crab
Enterprise
Arkansas Black
Frostbite
Bonkers
Snow sweet
Wickson crab

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
I’m starting a list for next year as well but want some good eating apples for the family as well as the orchard will be for deer and us. I know zestar is good as I’ve seen it at orchards, what about the others on you list for eating and baking, any good?

Wickson crab would likely be a better cider crab than an eater but others may say different - it is sweet, chestnut tastes great; dolgo is great for cider and apple sauce - Sandbur makes stuff out of dolgo I believe... its obviously smaller than an apple but still has good size but doesnt really taste bad - I would grab one of the other varieties off the tree first to eat; A part from Bonkers which I have no idea about the rest are all good eaters. Great Baking apples are I believe usually considered apart from desert apples or fresh eating apples Im sure all can be baked but I believe there are a number of better "baking" apples. But the list is a good balance of eaters and very good pollinator crabs with dual function beyond just pollinating. Its a list for Dunn County

Wickson crab would likely be a better cider crab than an eater but others may say different - it is sweet, chestnut tastes great; dolgo is great for cider and apple sauce - Sandbur makes stuff out of dolgo I believe... its obviously smaller than an apple but still has good size but doesnt really taste bad - I would grab one of the other varieties off the tree first to eat; A part from Bonkers which I have no idea about the rest are all good eaters. Great Baking apples are I believe usually considered apart from desert apples or fresh eating apples Im sure all can be baked but I believe there are a number of better "baking" apples. But the list is a good balance of eaters and very good pollinator crabs with dual function beyond just pollinating. Its a list for Dunn County

We like dolgo for applesauce and it is great for jelly. It is also good in a cider blend. My neighbor says my cider is ‘crabby’ as compared to another local guy who uses more larger apples. I use about 50% crabs in cider.

This list is for further north and a bit dated, but I still like it. Top Ten Apple Trees for the North from Bergerson Nursery. Maybe someone can post the link. I don’t know how to do it from my phone.

They changed the list a bit from year to year.

I would also add Kinderkrisp to the list or substitute it for Honeycrisp. Kk has been easier to grow and produced apples after my place reached -41 last winter. The apples aren’t as large as HC, but taste just as good and far easier to take care of.
e6296a5fd766fec069c95be63ed39931.jpg