Spring 2020 Apple Tree List and Materials

Wickson crab would likely be a better cider crab than an eater but others may say different - it is sweet, chestnut tastes great; dolgo is great for cider and apple sauce - Sandbur makes stuff out of dolgo I believe... its obviously smaller than an apple but still has good size but doesnt really taste bad - I would grab one of the other varieties off the tree first to eat; A part from Bonkers which I have no idea about the rest are all good eaters. Great Baking apples are I believe usually considered apart from desert apples or fresh eating apples Im sure all can be baked but I believe there are a number of better "baking" apples. But the list is a good balance of eaters and very good pollinator crabs with dual function beyond just pollinating. Its a list for Dunn County

Thanks I'll stick pretty close to it then and maybe add a Mcintosh or Honeycrisp for a baking type. I'm not picky on eating so sound like I'll enjoy them all then!

Weston, not sure how far from Stanley you are but I’m planning to purchase trees from Reits Garden Center. http://www.reitsgardencenter.com/. Based on what I’ve seen they have trees for the 4b/4c zone. I also found out they have a bareroot sale near the end of April for $27(2019 cost) per tree. The trees are semi-dwarfing and are about 5’-7’ tall.

Where do you purchase/plan to purchase your trees from?

Chad

Weston, not sure how far from Stanley you are but I’m planning to purchase trees from Reits Garden Center. http://www.reitsgardencenter.com/. Based on what I’ve seen they have trees for the 4b/4c zone. I also found out they have a bareroot sale near the end of April for $27(2019 cost) per tree. The trees are semi-dwarfing and are about 5’-7’ tall.

Where do you purchase/plan to purchase your trees from?

Chad
I just moved to Elk Mound, so Stanley is not far, I may have to check them out. My wife's grandparents owned a nursery in Chippewa for many years. They recommended Albrecht's Nursery in Chippewa for Apples Trees. They said the owner is very good and knowledgeable so I thought I'd start there because it is close to me too. I have not been there yet, but their website shows a wide selection, its just not clear if all the varieties they list are available or not.

Are the trees from Reits Garden Center 5-7 feet when you purchase them? I like that price!

That albrechs nursery looks good. Their website doesn't list the prices or really show how to order them. Maybe I missed that portion of the website though, I was just looking there for a couple minutes. The varieties they have listed are good ones.

I just moved to Elk Mound, so Stanley is not far, I may have to check them out. My wife's grandparents owned a nursery in Chippewa for many years. They recommended Albrecht's Nursery in Chippewa for Apples Trees. They said the owner is very good and knowledgeable so I thought I'd start there because it is close to me too. I have not been there yet, but their website shows a wide selection, its just not clear if all the varieties they list are available or not.

Are the trees from Reits Garden Center 5-7 feet when you purchase them? I like that price!

See picture below from Reits Garden Centers Facebook page from the 2019 bareroot sale and they appear to be apple trees from what I can see of their tags.

I will be checking our Albrechts nursery. They are located just down the road from my dads house. If anyone gets a pricing sheet please share.
AEBC708A-365E-40F9-8EE9-2E49B11A29E8.jpeg

Albrechts is a great little nursery, Don is an awesome source of information, they have an organic approach to fruit tree care. Very knowledgeable. Worth a stop in - check out his classes too. He does sell scion too.

I just moved to Elk Mound

Have you checked out the feed mill for plot seed... If you have not its not a bad place to pick out seed.

I don't believe they sell online, at least from what I saw. I emailed them some questions and they got me a price list of what is available in the spring, see below. He was very nice in his email and said they will have the bareroot and some potted available next spring. Also he sent a listing of unique varieties they will have this spring with descriptions. Most are dwarf stock though and I'm not sure if that is good for deer as they could probably browse a lot of the tree? The Cox's Orange Pippen sounds interesting though and is standard size.

Attachments

• Cust. Fruit Tree Bareroot 2020.pdf
    176.7 KB · Views: 13
  • A Very Special Selection Of Apple Trees From Albrecht.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 12
Albrechts is a great little nursery, Don is an awesome source of information, they have an organic approach to fruit tree care. Very knowledgeable. Worth a stop in - check out his classes too. He does sell scion too.
Good to know they sell scion if someday I get an itch to graft my own trees, which I'm sure that'll happen before I know it...

And yes I do go to Elk Mound seed quite a bit, they have just about anything I need for food plots, nice little shop too.

See picture below from Reits Garden Centers Facebook page from the 2019 bareroot sale and they appear to be apple trees from what I can see of their tags.

I will be checking our Albrechts nursery. They are located just down the road from my dads house. If anyone gets a pricing sheet please share.
View attachment 27142

Seems like a good deal $27 bucks for those trees. I'll have to check out their selection too and maybe get some from both places.

I don't believe they sell online, at least from what I saw. I emailed them some questions and they got me a price list of what is available in the spring, see below. He was very nice in his email and said they will have the bareroot and some potted available next spring. Also he sent a listing of unique varieties they will have this spring with descriptions. Most are dwarf stock though and I'm not sure if that is good for deer as they could probably browse a lot of the tree? The Cox's Orange Pippen sounds interesting though and is standard size.

I grafted an Cox's Orange Pippen this spring, so in 4 or 5 years I should be able to give some feedback on the taste of that one.

I prefer B118 and Antonovka rootstock for deer. I have some dwarf rootstock trees I planted before I knew better and they are too small to be of any value to deer. Once you take down the tree cage the deer can eat 75% of the tree!

I've used St. Lawrence Nursery out of New York and had great luck planting them in both MN and WI.

Almost too late now but I would put down a couple 3' by 3' pieces of cardboard in the places you intend to plant your trees. Then add about 3 inches of good compost, covering the cardboard. Cover that with leaves, straw, or some other type of mulch. That will give your planting sites a little jump start, depending on how the weather behaves.
I will second ol' Barndog on prepping your planting spots...I use chicken litter. I dump a half a wheelbarrow load on a spot and it is soft and ready when I go to plant a tree.