Some amazing habitat stats in this episode

Almost every recent turkey research, beyond a shadow of a doubt, shows predators are the most detrimental direct factor concerning turkey nesting success
Really? Can you share? Did this research isolate the variability of good and bad nesting and brooding habitat?

I can definitely see political, social sensitivities to blaming fur bearers overtly.

Really? Can you share? Did this research isolate the variability of good and bad nesting and brooding habitat?

I can definitely see political, social sensitivities to blaming fur bearers overtly.
No, I cant quantify - just reading all the research I can find. And yes - many of the studies do isolate variability of good and bad cover. That is why I quantified my statement using the term “direct” cause for lack of nest success. I am not saying poor habitat does not contribute to predation - but poor habitat by itself does not typically destroy the nest. In the 1980’s, turkeys, quail, and rabbits could exist in mediocre habitat in many places - because predators were very scarce. Now, in similar mediocre habitat, rabbits, turkeys, and quail are absent - but there is an abundance of predators

Poor habitat, poor weather, etc greatly contribute to predation - but those variables typically dont destroy nests directly - that is all I am saying.

Those podcasts said it, specifically raccoons and "free roaming dogs."

If any of y’all care about the wild Turkey and it’s decline, this podcast is one to subscribe to. This particular episode is incredible. To see the landscape and how it’s changed in our recent history is eye opening. Here’s one stat…less than 2 million acres of pine plantations in the 50’s to 32 million by the end of the 90’s!!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wild-turkey-science/id1666903553?i=1000609283154
You still listening?! All of a sudden, these boys are coming off the top rope on the corn baiters. I am ready to send some money to TFT to support the truth bombs they’ve been dropping.

I’d be happy to send some turkeys south from MN if I could! Seems like population is still climbing fast at home and at the land. They are within 20’ of my house daily.

I’d be happy to send some turkeys south from MN if I could! Seems like population is still climbing fast at home and at the land. They are within 20’ of my house daily.
Colder climes. Less aflatoxin. ;)

You still listening?! All of a sudden, these boys are coming off the top rope on the corn baiters. I am ready to send some money to TFT to support the truth bombs they’ve been dropping.
Yep! I started the corn one the other day. Gonna finish it tomorrow.

Season opens tomorrow

Turkeys are booming here in Minnesota

Season opens tomorrow
Guess I better get a tag an get me a hen (I think that's legal, better read up). We're scaring them away from the kids swingset and the wife's perennials daily, they'll probably disappear tomorrow now haha.

Thought Minnesota turkey seasons were in the spring time? I'm not sure I don't hunt turkeys. Thought there were like 5 seasons all about 5 days long. Could be completely wrong

There is a fall season in MN. Had 5 strutting behind the hunting shack today, shock gobbling after each clap of Thunder.

There is a fall season in MN. Had 5 strutting behind the hunting shack today, shock gobbling after each clap of Thunder.
Ivw always wondered how animals that are so dumb, can sometimes be so smart.

I have 33 turkeys coming through my yard everyday for over a month now. The little ones are all grown up now.

South East Minnesota doesn’t have close to the numbers we use to have. Nobody traps anymore and the nest predators are raising hell. We also have owls that have made a minor comeback in the past 20 years to deal with. Bobcat numbers on the rise. Neoicinoid treated seed corn isn’t doing us any favors either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've watched a lot on the innerweb about neonics and honeybees...Dad started keeping bees when I was a child, I grew up in and around the hives. He kept bees for almost 50 years, a few years ago he decided to no longer keep hives at his house, being surrounded by ag on three sides. I am glad I now live in an area where there is no ag. I grew up hunting and working on those small family farms, my heart bleeds for both sides.