Hypothetical-protecting the wild turkey

80b38225f387e641de9bac0067dcf085.jpg

Found a predated nest while looking for mushrooms
c4ada083f7139b656e8fff1f07df8e5f.jpg

This was a few yards away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, looks like she didn't make it. Too bad! I was mowing at our retirement property today. At one point a fawn took of running. It was tiny. I'm sure it had not been walking for more than a few days. I was not mowing the whole field, just the section around where the house and barn will go. There were a couple persimmon seedlings across the field that I wanted to graft, so I mowed a path to them. Just as I was going around them, a hen took flight about 10 yards in front of my tractor. I don't know if I flushed her off the nest or if she was bugging with young poults, or if she was alone. I did not get any closer as I did not want to jeopardize eggs or poults. I generally don't like to mow large grown up fields from early May until about the 4th of July to avoid fawns and turkey nests but I had to mow this for the upcoming build.

Thanks,

Jack

80b38225f387e641de9bac0067dcf085.jpg

Found a predated nest while looking for mushrooms
c4ada083f7139b656e8fff1f07df8e5f.jpg

This was a few yards away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the worst kind of predation. At least if only the eggs are destroyed, the hen can renest. In a five year nesting study in our state in the mid 1990’s, coons and rat snakes were the most common nest predator. Coyotes and bobcats were not even mentioned. Now, it is fairly common for both coyotes and cats to catch the hen on the nest.