Soil Samples?

bzb_1

5 year old buck +
Who do you guys use? Ive used Gamekeepers but they base theirs off of what you want to plant. You send in the sample and tell them what you want to plant and they tell you what the soil needs. I was hoping for just a general one that tells me what is going on and I can adjust from there. I have done a google search.

Are you talking about the biologic mossy oak soil test?

they do provide phosphorus,K+,ph ,etc

i mail samples on "monday"and have results by "thursday" evening

bill

Sent mine to Logan Labs for $25 per sample. Along with the normal stuff, they include sulfur, boron, zinc, copper, etc.

Who do you guys use? Ive used Gamekeepers but they base theirs off of what you want to plant. You send in the sample and tell them what you want to plant and they tell you what the soil needs. I was hoping for just a general one that tells me what is going on and I can adjust from there. I have done a google search.
Most states have universities with soil labs that are inexpensive. All fertilizer recommendations are based on what you plan to plant as well as the levels of P and K in your soil. They don't test for N, so that is completely based on what you plant and focused at farmers who are planting monocultures and trying to maximize yield. This is not what we want for food plots. Fertilizer recommendations are as much an art as a science. If you give your soil test results to 3 folks that are experienced in providing fertilizer recommendations, you will get 3 somewhat different recommendations.

I completely ignore N recommendations. The only N I add is the small amount in the MAP I use to achieve my P requirements. The key is a smart crop mix or rotation with legumes.

Soil tests fertilizer recommendations are a good starting point for folks getting started. By minimizing tillage and building OM, I've been able to significantly reduce my fertilizer use and improved my crops at the same time.

Best of luck,

Jack