Soil fundamentals library

Hey brushy pine what part of the USA are you located if bw can not tolerate the heat

The Biological Farmer by Gary Zimmer

Another easy to read primer that I'm working on now

bill
I looked that book up, and there's not a lot of context about what he's working on. Do you know what he all grows? I'm always up for a new book, but I'm wondering if he's growing food, or if he's growing corn and beans.

I've got a few other books ahead of me at the moment.

I looked that book up, and there's not a lot of context about what he's working on. Do you know what he all grows? I'm always up for a new book, but I'm wondering if he's growing food, or if he's growing corn and beans.

Mainly corn, beans, and alfalfa related

Such as ?

I learned of the book I mentioned from somewhere on this forum

bill

I subscribe to Pond Boss

Their forum is helpful and covers those topics

Lotta similarities in management

Bass are creatures of edge and follow topography like deer

Pond food web, chemistries,etc all important as in soil health

You will get to bees before you know it......

bill

New book for the library. I just found this as I was googling a weed seed blend recommendation for a friend. Apparently SARE got this published in 2020, but I never heard about it until now. 400 pages of total nerdery on weed science. It's free online, and here's the link. I bought a physical copy. Seems like the kind of info you don't want to get burned or banned in the future. That, and original DVD's of every Police Academy movie. The section on pigweed alone is worth the money.

Free online: https://www.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/Manage-Weeds-on-Your-Farm.pdf

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manage-Weeds-Guide-Ecological-Strategies/dp/B0B4BJL3YQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23IF9V8109Q19&keywords=manage+weeds+on+your+farm&qid=1703819642&sprefix=,aps,199&sr=8-1

1703819738278.png

New book for the library. I just found this as I was googling a weed seed blend recommendation for a friend. Apparently SARE got this published in 2020, but I never heard about it until now. 400 pages of total nerdery on weed science. It's free online, and here's the link. I bought a physical copy. Seems like the kind of info you don't want to get burned or banned in the future. That, and original DVD's of every Police Academy movie. The section on pigweed alone is worth the money.

Free online: https://www.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/Manage-Weeds-on-Your-Farm.pdf

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manage-Weeds-Guide-Ecological-Strategies/dp/B0B4BJL3YQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23IF9V8109Q19&keywords=manage+weeds+on+your+farm&qid=1703819642&sprefix=,aps,199&sr=8-1

View attachment 60958
great content

buying the hardcopy

turning pages on SARE pdf is maddening on my devices

bill

great content

buying the hardcopy

turning pages on SARE pdf is maddening on my devices

bill
I think I will buy the hardcopy here too. Looks like a useful reference book.

Interesting article on last weeks NDA mailout by Craig Harper on "weeds"
The take home was nutrition in the weeds and not grasses

Most sites don't need to plant anything, but simply work with existing seedbank.

Keep what you want, eliminate what you don't

Article listed other articles by Craig Harper that I thought were useful

bill

Interesting article on last weeks NDA mailout by Craig Harper on "weeds"
The take home was nutrition in the weeds and not grasses

Most sites don't need to plant anything, but simply work with existing seedbank.

Keep what you want, eliminate what you don't

Article listed other articles by Craig Harper that I thought were useful

bill
I agree with that. @Crimson n' Camo has said that here in throw and mow thread for years. Instead of double cropping he lets his fields grow up in summer with whatever nature gives him. Then throw and mows fall crop. His dirt is marvelous.

I’m gonna hedge. I’m gonna grow some reseeding stuff I like (Alyce clover, aeschynomene, teosinte) for a couple of years then try his method. Hopefully will get some of the stuff I planted and some of nature stuff together in summers while I do nothing or just do a light disc.

Here in south if you get light to floor deer get all the food they need. I see food plots as a way to pattern deer movement and maybe pull them out in daylight a little.

We shall see!

I agree with that. @Crimson n' Camo has said that here in throw and mow thread for years. Instead of double cropping he lets his fields grow up in summer with whatever nature gives him. Then throw and mows fall crop. His dirt is marvelous.

I’m gonna hedge. I’m gonna grow some reseeding stuff I like (Alyce clover, aeschynomene, teosinte) for a couple of years then try his method. Hopefully will get some of the stuff I planted and some of nature stuff together in summers while I do nothing or just do a light disc.

Here in south if you get light to floor deer get all the food they need. I see food plots as a way to pattern deer movement and maybe pull them out in daylight a little.

We shall see!
There’s a place I go track deer with my dogs where a guy owns about 2000 acres and he has roughly 250 acres of that in big ag fields that he can plant anything he wants in……In that type of situation I could see where it would benefit someone to worry about planting “summer plots”……However, with the average guy who has a 1 acre plot here and there…..what difference are you really making on the deer herd by trying to grow specialty crops during the summer months??....The quantity of forage being produced isnt enough to impact “herd health” so in my opinion you’re not really accomplishing anything by trying to get fancy with it……You’re just as well off to let nature grow natural vegetation during the summer months……Its almost a little naïve to think that we can choose a better plant to fit the needs of the soil that what nature chooses in most situations

^ I have a variant of those ideas that I can be happy with. Basically I am managing about 7 acres of clover / rye plots that I plant each fall. I may get some weeds but they are few....due to the dense clover and rye planting put down in late August. Then, I really dont have to do anything until July. Which works out great for me.....as I spend winters in AZ and don't get back to MN until mid-May.

When July comes.....I roll crimp the rye and prep some areas for brassica.....planting a week or so behind the chemical burn ...or whatever means (disking?) I use to prep for brassica. I also the manage some of the grasses and broadleaves via herbicides or mowing. (This year I am also planning to experiment with BML Sorghum and perhaps some millet to provide better vertical cover.....and in iI have a yellow sweet clover experiment underway too)

My deer thrive on my rye as soon as the snow melts....then continue to eat the clover all summer long. The rye keeps the weeds in check.....and provides fawning cover....before it is used for mulch.

Late August comes.....rinse and repeat. My drill has taken so much work out of my annual efforts. Tillage is way reduced and herbicide use is quite low now.

The guy in the video has 5.4 organic matter in his soil . My best plot is .9. Ughhh. Discing every year is so bad and i thought it was helping but basically ruined my soil.

The guy in the video has 5.4 organic matter in his soil . My best plot is .9. Ughhh. Discing every year is so bad and i thought it was helping but basically ruined my soil.
you ain't the only one. lot's of guilty parties here.

Lot's to be learned by just looking at the soil. Take a shovel of dirt and look at the roots and O.M. Does it need more carbon or nitrogen? Gotta do both to build on it. Lot's of common sense in this article. Kinda like Lick Creek says "clover and winter rye go together like peanut butter and jelly". OM and N.

You can get that back far quicker than that dude. The old way of looking at it was to try to calculate the above and below ground biomass produced by plants and then multiply by .4 to determine how much carbon you'd build up. The flaw with that thinking is that plants are 100% efficient, meaning they'd don't exude wastes like any other living organisms. If this were a cow, we'd assume we just feed it, and it never poops or pees.

This is also why June 21st is such a big deal. That's peak solar output day, and most conventional production ground is bare (not canopied) at that time so that sun is wasted. Big cows (plants) poop and pee way more than little cows. If you're green all season, you'll likely go 3+ times faster than working ground to build OM because you don't miss out on spring and fall growing days, and you can utilize every inch of ground.

Have a read at Christine Jones' paper on the liquid carbon pathway: https://www.amazingcarbon.com/PDF/JONES-LiquidCarbonPathway(July08).pdf

The sad part is a friend with a disc so big it could disc Christmas tree stumps out of the ground did my fields. In hindsight the ground was powder and I'll bet 12 inches down the hard pan began. Now in year two since I am hoping the soil is improving to the hard pan level. Talk about doing the wrong thing just mining that sand to the surface. Hence the .9 OM

The sad part is a friend with a disc so big it could disc Christmas tree stumps out of the ground did my fields. In hindsight the ground was powder and I'll bet 12 inches down the hard pan began. Now in year two since I am hoping the soil is improving to the hard pan level. Talk about doing the wrong thing just mining that sand to the surface. Hence the .9 OM

Ask @Catscratch about the biostimulative effects of animal drool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk