SLN's All Winter HangOver Crab

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Found two crabs on the ground under my All Winter HangOver crab so after brushing a couple of ants off one of them took a bite and was pleasantly surprised. Not as good tasting as a Centennial or a Kerr but still better than I had expected. No astringent taste at all. Juicy, crispy, and mildly sweet not bad for a "wildlife" crab.
10-1-15%20006_zps8jjt9ve9.jpg

This tree was planted in 2013 and I left 8 apples grow on it this year.

Looking good, Grey. Did you get any Violi's this year? Mine are all holding tight. I tried one 10 days ago and it was not really close to ripe. The Galarina I tried was actually much closer to ripe.

DS - How was the Galarina ?? I have 2 coming for next spring !! :)

Grey - Nice A.W.H. crab !! I'm heading up to camp next week and I'm anxious to see how all the apples and crabs are ripening. The last time I was up there, the A.W.H. crabs were still green with just a little red blush starting on them. Now I'm anxious to TRY one since you said they were not too bad.

Looking good, Grey. Did you get any Violi's this year? Mine are all holding tight. I tried one 10 days ago and it was not really close to ripe. The Galarina I tried was actually much closer to ripe.

Hey deepsleep
I have 1 Violi crab hanging. I give it a little "tug" every week or so but it's still holding tight. I have 1 Galarina that I'm watching closely.

Yeah, the Violi's were definitely nowhere near ripe on Sept 20. As for the Galarina on that same day, they were very tart still, but had a little bit of sweetness. My guess is they will be ready sometime in the next week or 2. I planted them after seeing the February picture of that Galarina tree that was loaded one of our resident apple experts posted a few years ago. So far the trees have been healthy and easy to train. The fruit is nice looking but gets more sooty blotch than the Querinas right next to them. That doesn't bother me and certainly won't bother the deer.

I planted 2 A.W.H. crabs at camp and have another one coming for next spring. I'm pleased with how easy they are to grow. Maybe I drew lucky straws, but the branching structure and shape of the tree are great !! For a wildlife crab - they are tough to beat.

As a follow up, my dad picked my Galarinas today. Said they are sweet with a bit of tart. Nice and cunchy. He's more of a Mac guy, but he liked the Galarinas a lot. I'm in Zone 5b.

I have every one that you mentioned above ^^^^^^ planted at camp and they are all doing real well. Dolgo, AWH and Violi's are the quickest growers for us, but no probs. with any of them. The AWH is 3rd leaf and it put on about 4 dozen apples this year. Tree shape is great. I think you'll be happy with them.

I sent in an order to SLN requesting AWH, Winter Wildlife, Trailman, and Violi's crabs for next year. I'm putting in 9 crabs next year, including a couple chestnut, golden hornet, and a kerr to replace the one I lost this year. Hoping these will be less maintenance than the regular apples. I've got a centennial and a dolgo in the ground already.

You won't regret it. As time goes on, I wish I had planted more stuff on Ant. Those trees start getting so nice by year 5, and they'll give you piles of fruit.

I'd recommend the AWH crab to anyone that wants to plant a wildlife crab. I have more coming from SLN for the spring, as well as their Winter Wildlife crab, Centennial, and Priscilla. We decided not to try plowing a small section of field for food plots any more - way too stony. ( for implements ). So we'll plant it to crabs and apples !!:)