Still Holding

Oaknut - I'm going to paint my S.T. on all sides of the trunk up to the lowest limbs. The extra visibility will make it easy to see any bugs that don't belong so I can kill them. Some of the guys on here say the white latex paint /water mix helps repel borers too.

The birds have been in my Sugar Tyme lately. Robins, blue jays, finches mostly. They seem to have found the little dried-up apples tasty. Hopefully they get most of them cleaned off soon.

Oaknut - Is that a Sugar Tyme in your avatar photo ?

Bowsnbucks - That is the way that I paint mine. Sure is a pain trying to paint thru the fences, though. I made a brush handle extension out of 1/2" PVC pipe.

Woodduck - No, that was a roadside crab that was bulldozed for a parking lot. I chip grafted it, but it is not producing yet. The fruit was quite a bit larger than Sugar Tyme, over an inch, as I recall. The fruit shape was reminiscent of Callaway, but I believe that it was brighter red and more persistent.

Last edited:
Bowsnbucks - I re-read your post on painting trunks. I usually paint up above the lower branches. I see that Sandbur did that on his Kerr, check out his April 24, 2018 Kerr photo in his excellent Crabapple Tmeline post.

Last edited:
Bowsnbucks - I re-read your post on painting trunks. I usually paint up above the lower branches. I see that Sandbur did that on his Kerr, check out his April 24, 2018 Kerr photo in his excellent Crabapple Tmeline post.

Some are using a hand sprayer to paint the mixture on trees. It depends on what you mix with the paint and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't some guys mix joint compound into the paint/water mixture?

Didn't some guys mix joint compound into the paint/water mixture?

Yup. I don’t think goes through the sprayer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some are using a hand sprayer to paint the mixture on trees. It depends on what you mix with the paint and water.

Duh... Why in the world didn't I think of that?

The time & effort I spent trying to paint thru all that 2" x 4" fence...

Thanks Sandbur