Silky/ red osier dogwood cutting id

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
So I planted a quite a few ROD cuttings this week around a swampy area. I tried to plant them on the edges of the water. Now with the rain we got, and the snow pack melting, a lot of the cuttings are completely under water. These areas dont normally have water year around, but they stay muddy, and when it rains, they will puddly over for a while.

I am just wondering if them being under water will hurt, or help them? I have no clue how long they will be under water, that depends on ol Mother Nature.
I hunt a lot of public land swamps in Central Minnesota. These swamps are underwater 10 months of the year at least and are covered in ROD. I am not sure about propagation, but I know that once they are established, they have no problem with being slightly submerged.

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Is anyone seeing growth from their cuttings you planted in the ground? I didn’t go out looking, but walked past a couple and see a couple tiny green spots where the top buds were. I would wander in the low lands where I planted most of them, but the ticks are starting to get pretty bad, and I have enough other things to keep me occupied.

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
Is anyone seeing growth from their cuttings you planted in the ground? I didn’t go out looking, but walked past a couple and see a couple tiny green spots where the top buds were. I would wander in the low lands where I planted most of them, but the ticks are starting to get pretty bad, and I have enough other things to keep me occupied.
I have had what I would describe as incredible success so far. I'd say about 75% of the ones I have seen have leafed out. I put them all in very wet areas and they seem to be thriving.

Brian662

5 year old buck +
Here in SE MN the parent plants haven't even started budding out yet in the valley where I live.

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
South East WI the established dogwoods just started to finally wake up. No activity on cuttings yet. Elderberrys started a couple weeks ago. This week with the warm temps should really get the going.

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
aa91eed714c3fd90f7f75ba0b8461553.jpg

This is one of the lesser location and as you can see it is in a eternally wet divet amongst a Beech woods. (An experiment) if you zoom in you can see it leafing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chucker66

5 year old buck +
I just checked a few twigs I stuck in a swamp by my house and they have some leaves starting. Planted a bunch more in some of the flower beds at home too. My wife wants them for making porch pots for the front porch in the winter.

cavey

5 year old buck +
Dont be to alarmed if you see some that you direct planted leaf out and die back a bit on the tips; The main thing is that they root out. I have had them die back almost to the ground then have one or two sprouts start and take off.

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I wandered around a bit today, every Sandbar willow I planted that I could find had the best growth. I only found a few of the elderberry I planted, and only one of them had little leafs on them. I have small growth on about half of the ROD cuttings, and the ones I have growth on, are planted next to standing water, or in it. The ones I planted in drier land, but still moist land, I dont see any growth. I didnt walk around around to look at all the spots, mostly because the ticks are pretty thick in the bottoms.

chucker66

5 year old buck +
I started my Elderberry and High Bush Cranberry in pots inside and will transplant them later. They are starting to sprout.:emoji_sunglasses: