Silky/ red osier dogwood cutting id

That's impressive. Is your bed just all sand?. Also I have only direct planted my cuttings. If you were to harvest some now is there a good way to store them till the ground thaws?
Treated lumber, a 1/4 mesh screen across the bottom and Plastic lined to hold added moisture (red osier and most cuttings like damp soil mediums ) and filled with sand, (might be a better idea to mix in a bit of better soil as I think I could get better root growth - but I pretty much plant them into the bed and forget about them).

So the bucket and bagged osier where late spring cuttings.... (you could do them now or wait a bit depending on when you want them to come out of dormancy) filled the truck up with cuttings, took them home and cut them down to the sizes I wanted, dipped ends in candle wax and bagged them into 1 gallon zip-lock bags with a damp paper towel, for storage till May'ish. Stored in a refrigerator. I tend to believe the shorter they are in storage the better they will do, but they sit dormant all winter too right?

I have and use a narrow tree planting spade to shoot them in. You can volume shoot them in this way and hope they root out, or bed them out and let them develop their root systems then the following year or two transplant. I always have something growing the sand bed, You can take cuttings from a lot of other shrubs and get them going this way. I plan to make a couple more beds and just keep fresh cutting from the farm growing in them.

Im guessing you could bag them and toss them under a bale of straw bedding on the northside of a shed in a shaded spot and they might make it too.

If anyone is driving HWY 25 from Barron to Menomonie and wants some ROD I saw 7 or 8 bunches on the way down to Menomonie last night right along the side of the road. It could be Silky but now I find myself looking in the ditches everywhere I go. I used to look for deer and geese in the fields, now I look for ROD. My wife still hates it either way haha.
I've been doing the same thing but haven't been able to spot any yet.

Its all over, look on the right of way areas, where they mow, those are the best for cuttings, new growth 18" or better, nice and straight - there is a bunch on Hwy 12 west all the way out past Wilson from Menomonie as well. Stay away from the west south west side of Menomonie - thats all mine -- lol But you are right once you start looking for it you will see it all over, next you will start wanting the really red looking ones!

In a road side spot like that you can cut them fast.... I either direct plant them later or cut wax and bag them and plant them into a sand stooling bed for a year or two later to trans plant.

2-3 buds in and 1-2 buds out of the ground, Simple as that... dont over think it just go with the volume approach. Stab in and move on, or bed and lift later with root systems.
I have some powder and liquid rooting hormone. I assume this would help in the process even if it's not needed?

Treated lumber, a 1/4 mesh screen across the bottom and Plastic lined to hold added moisture (red osier and most cuttings like damp soil mediums ) and filled with sand, (might be a better idea to mix in a bit of better soil as I think I could get better root growth - but I pretty much plant them into the bed and forget about them).

So the bucket and bagged osier where late spring cuttings.... (you could do them now or wait a bit depending on when you want them to come out of dormancy) filled the truck up with cuttings, took them home and cut them down to the sizes I wanted, dipped ends in candle wax and bagged them into 1 gallon zip-lock bags with a damp paper towel, for storage till May'ish. Stored in a refrigerator. I tend to believe the shorter they are in storage the better they will do, but they sit dormant all winter too right?

I have and use a narrow tree planting spade to shoot them in. You can volume shoot them in this way and hope they root out, or bed them out and let them develop their root systems then the following year or two transplant. I always have something growing the sand bed, You can take cuttings from a lot of other shrubs and get them going this way. I plan to make a couple more beds and just keep fresh cutting from the farm growing in them.
I did the same thing but split it in half. Half is sand and half is compost and soil. I was starting hybrid poplars in there but I ignored them a little too much and lost them all. The one thing I don't have is the plastic liner and mine dried out too much. I use the compost side to start out small seedlings. Might try my hand at grafting this year.

I have some powder and liquid rooting hormone. I assume this would help in the process even if it's not needed?
I dont think it would hurt (I know it doesnt) but red osier does fine on its own too, if you have it use it... I have used it.

Another real simple trick if you only want a handful - 50 or so maybe a 100. Is to plop a miracle grow bag of soil on edge, nip the bags up on edge corners open enough to stick a garden hose in for water and then poke holes with a screw driver and then stick the cuttings in the holes. You can use garbage bags with composted soil too.

Got a few leaves on one of my twigs in water today. I'm going to be cutting a bunch this week to get them started in potting soil.

Chuck

I have some cuttings ordered as I have never seen any around here.I will try in an area that stays damp

I have some cuttings ordered as I have never seen any around here.I will try in an area that stays damp
Where are you located? I was in Madison Wi last weekend for the State Wrestling Tournament and I could not believe the ROD around there and all along the freeway. It is everywhere.

Around here, if you leave a field go for a couple years, it's full of ROD and multiflora rose in no time. There are probably 300 acres of the stuff within a 2 mile radius of me. Most people here curse it. When I was young, driving deer was the hunting style of choice after opening day. I dreaded when I had to walk through the "red brush". Pure hell! But, of course, that's where the deer were.

I might have to run up your way Teeder. I've only seen it one place. My neighbors flower bed. They have one small bush. Not sure if I can sneak in there and snip a few stems off or not. I've been keep my eyes peeled everywhere when I'm driving around. I saw some red branches along the susquehanna river where I live but I don't think it's ROD. Doesn't seem to be the flame red color of it.

Ours only seems flame red after it's been cut and the new shoots come on. The old stuff is duller.

SC Kansas,how wet can it be?

I have heard they will survive with seasonal flooding but like to be dry when getting established. We see a lot of them in seasonal swamps full of Reed Canary Grass.

Ours only seems flame red after it's been cut and the new shoots come on. The old stuff is duller.

Thats actually a good point to remember about ROD, I personally do not plant it in ways that I think will allow it to be come thickets or large mature mono culture groupings... I plant it sporadically in smaller groupings that I know will get heavily browsed ... or a line of browse but never in the hopes of having a large established area of the the stuff. No issues with some larger individual clumps but your right as it gets older if its not cut back or browsed it will lose its "red" .
Its browse candy for the deer ...

If it gets large or forms thickets, you can mow it down with a brush hog and the new growth will be tender shoots of the bright red deer candy.

Yes and Yes