Silky/ red osier dogwood cutting id

So I planted a quite a few ROD cuttings this week around a swampy area. I tried to plant them on the edges of the water. Now with the rain we got, and the snow pack melting, a lot of the cuttings are completely under water. These areas dont normally have water year around, but they stay muddy, and when it rains, they will puddly over for a while.

I am just wondering if them being under water will hurt, or help them? I have no clue how long they will be under water, that depends on ol Mother Nature.
I hunt a lot of public land swamps in Central Minnesota. These swamps are underwater 10 months of the year at least and are covered in ROD. I am not sure about propagation, but I know that once they are established, they have no problem with being slightly submerged.

Is anyone seeing growth from their cuttings you planted in the ground? I didn’t go out looking, but walked past a couple and see a couple tiny green spots where the top buds were. I would wander in the low lands where I planted most of them, but the ticks are starting to get pretty bad, and I have enough other things to keep me occupied.

Is anyone seeing growth from their cuttings you planted in the ground? I didn’t go out looking, but walked past a couple and see a couple tiny green spots where the top buds were. I would wander in the low lands where I planted most of them, but the ticks are starting to get pretty bad, and I have enough other things to keep me occupied.
I have had what I would describe as incredible success so far. I'd say about 75% of the ones I have seen have leafed out. I put them all in very wet areas and they seem to be thriving.

Here in SE MN the parent plants haven't even started budding out yet in the valley where I live.

South East WI the established dogwoods just started to finally wake up. No activity on cuttings yet. Elderberrys started a couple weeks ago. This week with the warm temps should really get the going.

aa91eed714c3fd90f7f75ba0b8461553.jpg

This is one of the lesser location and as you can see it is in a eternally wet divet amongst a Beech woods. (An experiment) if you zoom in you can see it leafing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked a few twigs I stuck in a swamp by my house and they have some leaves starting. Planted a bunch more in some of the flower beds at home too. My wife wants them for making porch pots for the front porch in the winter.

Dont be to alarmed if you see some that you direct planted leaf out and die back a bit on the tips; The main thing is that they root out. I have had them die back almost to the ground then have one or two sprouts start and take off.

I wandered around a bit today, every Sandbar willow I planted that I could find had the best growth. I only found a few of the elderberry I planted, and only one of them had little leafs on them. I have small growth on about half of the ROD cuttings, and the ones I have growth on, are planted next to standing water, or in it. The ones I planted in drier land, but still moist land, I dont see any growth. I didnt walk around around to look at all the spots, mostly because the ticks are pretty thick in the bottoms.

I started my Elderberry and High Bush Cranberry in pots inside and will transplant them later. They are starting to sprout.:emoji_sunglasses:

I went down to the local forest last month and clipped a handful of what I think is ROD. Brought them home and scored the bottoms of each clipping and placed them in an old milk jug that has about 3-4" of water. After about 3 weeks the clippings started to produce leaves so I'm thinking my experiment is working. Today marks one month and all clippings have leaves, no roots though. Thoughts? Also, would one of you please confirm if I was correct in my identification and these are in fact ROD and not Silky? Thanks!

Attachments

• Scrape of ROD.jpg
    Scrape of ROD.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Leaves of ROD.jpg
    Leaves of ROD.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 18
Hard to tell from that picture but it doesn't have the bright red characteristics normally seen with ROD.

I dont believe they will develop good roots without soil, I would put them in some potting soil for future transplanting or go ahead and stab them in the ground if the ground is thawed.

I went down to the local forest last month and clipped a handful of what I think is ROD. Brought them home and scored the bottoms of each clipping and placed them in an old milk jug that has about 3-4" of water. After about 3 weeks the clippings started to produce leaves so I'm thinking my experiment is working. Today marks one month and all clippings have leaves, no roots though. Thoughts? Also, would one of you please confirm if I was correct in my identification and these are in fact ROD and not Silky? Thanks!
Really hard to tell from the photo. Silky will have a small round brown pith. If you cut it and you don't see any brown it will be red osier. I've put them in water also. They grew good leaves and some roots, but then died. I plant all mine directly now and have had decent success.

I’m thinking the little brown dot in the center denotes Silky … not the ROD I was hoping for. ?? After reading this thread I have some things to do … I have to plant this bunch in soil and … continue my hunt for ROD.

Attachments

• D5963C48-DB84-4600-B808-3F1B19121A18.jpeg
    D5963C48-DB84-4600-B808-3F1B19121A18.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 17
I’m thinking the little brown dot in the center denotes Silky … not the ROD I was hoping for. ?? After reading this thread I have some things to do … I have to plant this bunch in soil and … continue my hunt for ROD.
If that is dogwood. I would say it is silky. It's not bad. I plant both. They will browse it too. Silky makes great cover. I was actually checking a new spot today. I walked up and thought " dang" all Silky. It actually was 100 percent red osier. These are pics of the red osier I collected today.

Attachments

• 20230228_174542.jpg
    20230228_174542.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230228_174523.jpg
    20230228_174523.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 16