Seeding switchgrass now?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
Looking for opinions on seeding switchgrass now, the areas I am looking at are pure dirt, so no weed worries at the moment, I just haven’t heard of seeding this time of year, just fall and spring. Do you think it would work ok? Or wait til fall?

When I planted mine we drilled in mid summer. This allowed me to address as many weeds as possible ahead of time. We drilled, and I controlled the broadleaf weeds with 2,4-D but other grasses was a struggle. I actually thought I lost my planting to the foxtail as the switch didn't get real tall. Only way to control the foxtail was to mow just above the height of the young switch. The other trick is obviously keeping it alive! Germination is pretty easy.....however rainfall in the summer time isn't exactly reliable. Until the switch is established its pretty vulnerable. By drilling my seed was in rows so it was easy to see it in with the other grasses, if it was broadcast.....no way. Weed control the following year is also important as the switch still will easily get over taken with other native weeds.

Looking for opinions on seeding switchgrass now, the areas I am looking at are pure dirt, so no weed worries at the moment, I just haven’t heard of seeding this time of year, just fall and spring. Do you think it would work ok? Or wait til fall?

Just had a thread on this topic, see link below ...

Summer Switchgrass seeding

I would wait until late winter right before a snow

Thanks for the thoughts, thinking I will wait, don’t think there would be much advantage to seeding now vs later and less risk of germination then drought or something like that