Seeding Rates for self mixed fall blends

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for some help with how to set up some plot mixes I am putting together for Western KY- Zone 7a- fall food plots

Here are the mixes- if I can get some input on lbs per acre I would really appreciate the help

Mix 1
Duranna Clover
Crimson Clover annual
Oats

Mix 2
Turnips
Sugar Beats
Rape

Mix 3
Radish
Rape
sugar beat
Oats

THanks in advance

Are you planning on using all of the mixes?

Mix 1 per acre:
Durana - 5 lbs
Crimson - 7 lbs
Oats - 50 lbs
This would be in a well prepared seedbed. For spray/throw/mow I would increase this by probably 30%.

The green cover smartmix calc mixes things at pretty low rates. I'm guessing the rates are more tailored to larger agricultural cover crops that are less likely to be impacted by browse pressure or mediocre planting. I feel like with typical plot sizes and moderate deer pressure the rates can be too low.

Also, I’ve never planted sugar beets but are they going to amount to anything planted this late?

Last edited:
The green cover smartmix calc mixes things at pretty low rates. I'm guessing the rates are more tailored to larger agricultural cover crops that are less likely to be impacted by browse pressure or mediocre planting. I feel like with typical plot sizes and moderate deer pressure the rates can be too low.

Also, I’ve never planted sugar beets but are they going to amount to anything planted this late?
Sugar beets should be planted about the same time as corn

I thought sugar beets were more of a monoculture crop? I've never tried to grow them but for some reason I'm thinking sugar beets are more fussy to grow. Maybe not.

The green cover smartmix calc mixes things at pretty low rates.

I was looking at two mixes on their site. When I look at this, the thing that jumps out at me is the difference in seeding rate. Makes me wonder about 1) Number of seeds per acre; and 2) If seeding Fall Release a little heavier might be a good move.

Fall Release.
Plant 70 pounds per acre when seeding with a no-till drill or other planting implement and 100 pounds per acre when broadcasting.
Crimson Clover, Fixation Balansa Clover, Balady Berseem Clover, Spring Forage Pea, Winter Peas, Spring Oats, Black Oats, Cereal Rye, Radish, Turnip, Buckwheat, and GreenBoost Biology Package

Super Fall Release
Drill at 110 lbs per acre.
Broadcast at 130 lbs per acre
Fixation Balansa Clover, Alfalfa, Spring Oats, Black Oats, Spring Peas, Cereal Rye, Radish, Turnip, Sunflower

I was looking at two mixes on their site. When I look at this, the thing that jumps out at me is the difference in seeding rate. Makes me wonder about 1) Number of seeds per acre; and 2) If seeding Fall Release a little heavier might be a good move.

Fall Release.
Plant 70 pounds per acre when seeding with a no-till drill or other planting implement and 100 pounds per acre when broadcasting.
Crimson Clover, Fixation Balansa Clover, Balady Berseem Clover, Spring Forage Pea, Winter Peas, Spring Oats, Black Oats, Cereal Rye, Radish, Turnip, Buckwheat, and GreenBoost Biology Package

Super Fall Release
Drill at 110 lbs per acre.
Broadcast at 130 lbs per acre
Fixation Balansa Clover, Alfalfa, Spring Oats, Black Oats, Spring Peas, Cereal Rye, Radish, Turnip, Sunflower

When it comes to a monoculture of brassica, I shoot for 1 plant per square foot at most.

In a mix I go much lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will add a recommendation to the greencover seed smartmix calculator. Even if they don’t have the specific varieties you are planting, you can find equivalents and get poundage per acre from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk