Scion Help

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I am going to attempt an apple tree graft this year. My question is on scions, it says to look for last years growth. Well I have access to a lot of old trees, will just one of branch tips work as long as it has a few buds on it?

In short, yes. Do a bit of reading on what diameter you want. This matters more when you are bench grafting, as most anything will take (IME) with bark/rind grafting.

In a northern climate what would be the ideal time to attempt a graft, can you do it at home in a pot in the middle of winter? And is cummins the best place to get rootstock?

In a northern climate what would be the ideal time to attempt a graft, can you do it at home in a pot in the middle of winter? And is cummins the best place to get rootstock?

No. Most apple trees require a high number of chill hours before they break bud. You could graft and plant but I would wait until until at least February. Generally most people will wait until March or April to bench graft though. Natural sunlight is hard to beat for growing fruit trees.

Cummins is fine, but your choices may be limited at this point and it will be pricey if just buying a small number of rootstock.

On older trees you may have to get up higher in the tree to find any new growth, or look for water sprouts.

Do you know how to tell where last year's growth started on a limb tip or water sprout ??

Do you know how to tell where last year's growth started on a limb tip or water sprout ??

Yes typically if the tree is still putting on new growth on branch tips, start at the tip and work back towards the main branch. You will see a terminal bud scar, which appears as a couple rings around the branch stem. Coloration and bark texture is often different as well on new growth.

TC - I was responding to bowhunternw when I asked if he knew how to distinguish last year's growth. I know YOU know !!!!! ;):D Good description of the spot though.

Happy Thanksgiving TC and all !!

Oh no I had no idea, I was just assuming that old mature trees really don't have a lot of new growth. Turkey Creek thanks for the tip.

Yes typically if the tree is still putting on new growth on branch tips, start at the tip and work back towards the main branch. You will see a terminal bud scar, which appears as a couple rings around the branch stem. Coloration and bark texture is often different as well on new growth.
Perfect definition!!!!!!! Try to get growth that is close to pencil diameter. In my opinion and experience the bigger the scion the better the growth

Perfect definition!!!!!!! Try to get growth that is close to pencil diameter. In my opinion and experience the bigger the scion the better the growth
+2 for sure